Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

51 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Holy crap what a spring for me. Even bigger than my last one. First time in ever tagged out in the spring. I’ll post the full story when i get home IMG_9094.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This NYC boy is showing you country boy's how to get it done!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Holy crap what a spring for me. Even bigger than my last one. First time in ever tagged out in the spring. I’ll post the full story when i get home IMG_9094.jpg

Awesome bird. Congratulations.

• Like 1

Going to be another long one, so apologies again

Got to my spot at 4:55 today after only getting 2 hours of sleep, so i spent a little time in my car eating my breakfast. Got to the spot i killed the bird last week at 5:15 and didnt hear a single confirmed gobble on the roost. Thought I might have heard a few, but the creek was up again so I couldnt tell for sure. Sent out a couple calls with no response so I decided to walk back to my car to drop of my jacket and go to my ground blind. On my way to the blind I stopped in an area they usually roost to check for any sign. Before i started looking, I said what the hell and sent out a few yelps. Immediately got a response right where my blind is. I snuck as close as I could and he was non stop gobbling with out me even calling. I counted at least 7 in maybe 10-15 seconds time. Figured this bird was hot and I was going to get a crack at him. He must have only been 60-70 yards, but I was down in another creek bottom so I couldnt see him. I wear hearing protection when I hunt and it amplifies it. Usually not a problem, but it made it seem like he was right on top of me when I thought he wasnt so i moved them a bit so I can hear how far he really is. I guess he was that close because as soon as I did that, the gobbles stopped. I gave it an hour and tried looping around to where I thought it ran and nothing. I was half dissapointed and half excited for the expereince.

I was all set to go to my ground blind until 12, but i decided around 8 to give it another shot where I shot that bird last week. Before I got to the spot, i decided to throw out a call just in case.  What do you know I got a reponse from a bird about 150-200 yards away. I wish I could have seen the look on my face when I heard that gobble. I thought that this couldnt be happening to me since im not a good turkey hunter. I cut in as close as I could, but it got so thick I just sat down and started calling. It didnt sound like he was getting any closer so I decided to swing around to get in a better position. Half way to where I wanted to be I hear him gobble much closer. Actually right where I shot the bird last week, which I thought I was funny. I scrambled to find a good tree next to the small 1 acre clearing i was standing in. I sat down, called a couple times and was cut off. I called again just to make sure I wasnt going crazy and I heard nothing so i knew he was coming in. I put the call down, and not 10 seconds I see him in the middle of the field strutting. I dont like shooting strutting birds, so I waited for him to stop. I couldnt make any noises with my mouth becuase I had so much adrenaline pumping. Well he wouldnt stop strutting, spitting and drumming till he got to 15 yards. At that point he was to my left and I had to wait til he got behind a big oak to move. He must have knew something was up, because he just stuck his head out behind the tree, but it was enough for me to get it done. No pellets in his breasts for sure.

I have to say, I really am addicted to turkey hunting. Deer hunting will always be number 1 for me, but this is a very close second. so far ive called in 3 birds that I know of and took 2...my best season ever. Now Ill be calling for some friends and maybe if im lucky ill convince my father to actually go out hunting again. Really didnt think id be able to get a second bird, but guess i had a little bit of luck on my side. 

Weighed 19 pounds 1 1/4 spurs and a 10" beard. I want to say its 3-4 years old. Trophy bird in my opinion. Also this is what my pants looked like with that bird on my back. I need to buy or make some kind of turkey tote lol. 

IMG_9240.JPG

IMG_9242.JPG

IMG_9243.PNG

IMG_9245.PNG

• Like 17

Got to my spot at 4:55 today after only getting 2 hours of sleep, so i spent a little time in my car eating my breakfast. Got to the spot i killed the bird last week at 5:15 and didnt hear a single confirmed gobble on the roost. Thought I might have heard a few, but the creek was up again so I couldnt tell for sure. Sent out a couple calls with no response so I decided to walk back to my car to drop of my jacket and go to my ground blind. On my way to the blind I stopped in an area they usually roost to check for any sign. Before i started looking, I said what the hell and sent out a few yelps. Immediately got a response right where my blind is. I snuck as close as I could and he was non stop gobbling with out me even calling. I counted at least 7 in maybe 10-15 seconds time. Figured this bird was hot and I was going to get a crack at him. He must have only been 60-70 yards, but I was down in another creek bottom so I couldnt see him. I wear hearing protection when I hunt and it amplifies it. Usually not a problem, but it made it seem like he was right on top of me when I thought he wasnt so i moved them a bit so I can hear how far he really is. I guess he was that close because as soon as I did that, the gobbles stopped. I gave it an hour and tried looping around to where I thought it ran and nothing. I was half dissapointed and half excited for the expereince.
I was all set to go to my ground blind until 12, but i decided around 8 to give it another shot where I shot that bird last week. Before I got to the spot, i decided to throw out a call just in case.  What do you know I got a reponse from a bird about 150-200 yards away. I wish I could have seen the look on my face when I heard that gobble. I thought that this couldnt be happening to me since im not a good turkey hunter. I cut in as close as I could, but it got so thick I just sat down and started calling. It didnt sound like he was getting any closer so I decided to swing around to get in a better position. Half way to where I wanted to be I hear him gobble much closer. Actually right where I shot the bird last week, which I thought I was funny. I scrambled to find a good tree next to the small 1 acre clearing i was standing in. I sat down, called a couple times and was cut off. I called again just to make sure I wasnt going crazy and I heard nothing so i knew he was coming in. I put the call down, and not 10 seconds I see him in the middle of the field strutting. I dont like shooting strutting birds, so I waited for him to stop. I couldnt make any noises with my mouth becuase I had so much adrenaline pumping. Well he wouldnt stop strutting, spitting and drumming till he got to 15 yards. At that point he was to my left and I had to wait til he got behind a big oak to move. He must have knew something was up, because he just stuck his head out behind the tree, but it was enough for me to get it done. No pellets in his breasts for sure.
I have to say, I really am addicted to turkey hunting. Deer hunting will always be number 1 for me, but this is a very close second. so far ive called in 3 birds that I know of and took 2...my best season ever. Now Ill be calling for some friends and maybe if im lucky ill convince my father to actually go out hunting again. Really didnt think id be able to get a second bird, but guess i had a little bit of luck on my side. 
Weighed 19 pounds 1 1/4 spurs and a 10" beard. I want to say its 3-4 years old. Trophy bird in my opinion. Also this is what my pants looked like with that bird on my back. I need to buy or make some kind of turkey tote lol. 

IMG_9240.thumb.JPG.f2b7358eaaa7d5ebe749fcb19e02f10d.JPG
IMG_9242.thumb.JPG.759eb8abb9820a7a63dd135cccdce730.JPG
IMG_9243.thumb.PNG.8f08fab5c0c283587b5d346170cf31bd.PNG
IMG_9245.thumb.PNG.30ba0b55c47bc035ba81110fe3283332.PNG

Congrats man! You’re dominating!

• Like 4

IMG_9240.thumb.JPG.f2b7358eaaa7d5ebe749fcb19e02f10d.JPG
IMG_9242.thumb.JPG.759eb8abb9820a7a63dd135cccdce730.JPG
IMG_9243.thumb.PNG.8f08fab5c0c283587b5d346170cf31bd.PNG
IMG_9245.thumb.PNG.30ba0b55c47bc035ba81110fe3283332.PNG

Atta boy!!!! Way to carry the SE region!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

IMG_9242.JPG

I used to hunt before work, Id put a rain suit on over my work clothes and just take them off at the office in the parking lot. Well one time i killed a bird. About 9:30 I go to use the bathroom and as im walking out I see in the mirror that the back of my khakis looked exactly like your pants lol, the blood ran behind my rain pants and all over me. I had to tell my boss and go home and change lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I used to hunt before work, Id put a rain suit on over my work clothes and just take them off at the office in the parking lot. Well one time i killed a bird. About 9:30 I go to use the bathroom and as im walking out I see in the mirror that the back of my khakis looked exactly like your pants lol, the blood ran behind my rain pants and all over me. I had to tell my boss and go home and change lol

Haha and no one said anything to you? 

Daughters first tags are purchased clothes ready guns ready going to try and double up saturday morning.  And ill be picking up her  first gun tomorrow. A hatfield single shot in 20gauge.  Going to shoot it saturday cant wait.

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 8

23 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Daughters first tags are purchased clothes ready guns ready going to try and double up saturday morning.  And ill be picking up her  first gun tomorrow. A hatfield single shot in 20gauge.  Going to shoot it saturday cant wait.

Good luck swampy... Enjoy the time with your daughter and post lots of pics...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ODYSSEUS said:

The Weekend of May 18th + 19th is going to be Perfect Weather! Nice and Sunny. I am hoping, I can get my Redneck Mug with a Big Tom up here on this Thread. Off Friday Too.

Give me overcast versus sunny any day. Get r done Bill 

Great season AT. Today’s bird was probably 4+ based on hooks.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Give me overcast versus sunny any day. Get r done Bill 

Great season AT. Today’s bird was probably 4+ based on hooks.  

Wow that old? I was really thinking no more than 3, but ill take your word. 

Thank you to everyone. It really means a lot!

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Nope, I was sitting down until I went
To the bathroom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh man thats terrible. Being down in the city I dont think it would be to easy to explain why I had blood on my pants if that was me lol

• Like 2

By far my least aggressive season ever. Been out 4x only. Off yesterday and today and didn’t go. Last year hunted probably 25 days of 31. BUT pretty sure “treebird” is one I’ve played with 2x so far. Same roosting area as last year. Played a great game last year with me showing him my whole hand until this happened. Few days later I killed his buddy (typical 2 year old ) and ole Tom was about 15 yards behind him. I smashed the sure thing as didht want to botch waiting for him to close the gap any farther. His head is ginormous and tallest fan I’ve seen. Well tomorrow daughter has ballet at noon and I work at 2. We’re going into his bedroom real early and hopefully she sends a load of tss his way doing something I haven’t been able to do. There’s a few other birds I could be playing with but this grudge of last year I will be handing over in the morning for Samanatha to get a chance. 44d7556fbb82002fd97751f826d5b238.jpg

• Like 8

22 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Sadly I think I only have till around 745 maybe 8 if I hustle on Saturday. The future Mrs. Jerkman scheduled us for a registry event at crate and barrel that starts at 9am Saturday. 

there's so many things to say to this, but we will just leave it be as deep down you know. 

• Like 1