Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

I'm in the win column! Went to Farmersville, 1st time this year. Bumped 3 off the roost walking up the hill, sat down and waited, heard a hen about 50 yds away so I called back and forth with her until she came looking for me. This guy followed her a little too close! 

IMG_20190518_065053260.jpg

1558177069448-399952957.jpg

1558177095919-552340158.jpg

• Like 29

That’s a first. Hummingbird in middle of woods Gorgeous day And still all quiet. Red breasted grosbeak, 2 young bucks foot stomping at us , chipmunks, 2 more deer and group of 4 all close. f68d208cfdd8176f7c91a6a87f4c3210.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 4

I had a shithead coyote come in. Scare all my turkeys into a tree then bed down for a nap 35 yards to my left. Think it's safe to say that bastard ruined today's huntf054fa0fc7a72ef3e0ba2e5f8aed14c7.jpg&key=a5c7f8a77afd90d2d133beafa876a61003bda9232511480a83f6fcec9033586d

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

NY needs to get on open yote season year round.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well we had fun but no bird.  Got into postion about 510. By 530 had a gobble a long ways off so decided to stay put because farmer told me they like to hit the pasture we were in.  About 545 had a different gobbler sounding off this time ide say within 200yrds.  Dont no if he flew down and headed our way because after him i had one even closer. So i called  to him a couple times and he went nuts for about 10mins. Gobbling his head off and my daughter just smiling ear to ear she swung around and got ready.  Then about 615 farmer started truck and headed to the barn. Bird shut up after that.  They roost close to their house so i think he bumped it out of pasture or off the roost.  Ended up getting a hen awnser back around 735-8 (atleast i think it was a hen) but she didnt want to talk anymore.  

Not really a turkey hunter so i told my daughter we need to learn together but she thought it was cool i could pick out the deer trails through the grass and said she wanted to get to that point just told her it takes time.   She might go out in am shes got a friend coming over but might even take both out.  

• Like 8

No bird. Got in to my busy corner of the field at 4:50 and set a single feeding hen decoy 35 paces out. Get a roost gobble 200 yds across the far side of the field at 5:20, OPPOSITE of where they’ve been roosting for the last few weeks. Roosted in one of my bigger white pines 2-3 trees into the woods! Bah!! Figured I’d count gobbles. Stopped counting at 100 - bird stays roosted til 7:15.

Then I see him and his white head on the ground 200 yds away. Checked him out through the binocs, he’s a big bird. Gave him some soft yelps and he took notice. After looking like he was going to come in, he turns, hops over the stone wall and into the woods going up toward my other field. For 10 minutes I hear him gobbling, heading away from me toward the back of that field. Then more roost gobbles. Two birds! The ones I’ve been getting on my cams. Then I see 4 or 5 hens pitch down into that other field about 7:30. They start making an absolute racket. Sounded like a turkey riot. I hear the far Tom gobbling making his way back toward the hens, and over the next 15 minutes they all move north toward the cut corn field cackling, yelping, and gobbling the whole way. I called, but I doubt they could hear me over that racket. Never saw the second tom.

Getting that windshield replaced this morning and I get a text that he’ll be here at 9:00. Listened to those birds noising it up, moving away further into the corn field til 8:30 and came back to the house. Going to move my blind this afternoon to an intercept position in the other field for tomorrow morning. They walked in front of my tower stand, and I briefly thought about sitting there tomorrow.

Pic explanation: North is up. Red dot is my blind, yellow dot was where they all roosted, yellow arrow is their path to the corn field (green field when the aerial pic was taken), blue dot is where I want to be in their way tomorrow. It’s about 300-ish yards from the red dot to the blue dot.

Second pic is from earlier this year and I have lots of pics of those two palling around.

My tower stand is in the hedgerow just to the left of that yellow arrowhead. Would you even think about sitting there? I have lots of pics of those two and the hens from the cam mounted to the leg of the tower. Seems wrong, especially shooting down on the bird. Going to move the blind around 2:00, that flock is usually on the far side of the corn field in the afternoon.

60CA10CC-E427-4861-B37D-2D214CC7B5FB.jpeg

1A88C334-3719-4632-A558-122D60B5DAD1.jpeg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

I'm in the win column! Went to Farmersville, 1st time this year. Bumped 3 off the roost walking up the hill, sat down and waited, heard a hen about 50 yds away so I called back and forth with her until she came looking for me. This guy followed her a little too close! 

IMG_20190518_065053260.jpg

1558177069448-399952957.jpg

1558177095919-552340158.jpg

Congrats, nice bird!

• Like 1

Bingo !!  Canuck gobbler  #1 at high noon today..Vital stats...21 lb, 9 1/2" beard and sharp inch spurs..Solid 3 year old bird...

Pretty good story, too but that will have to wait until I am posting from home..

Teaser..At 5:00 AM I had seven gobblers gobbling around me. all within 200 yards, but I had to wait until noon to get a shot....

• Like 20

So after that bastard decided to ruin my morning I opted to head further down the property closer to the aviary where I figured the turkeys may head to feel safer. Called there till noon then had to call it quits. Decided to drive up to the house and guess who was there. Two damn Toms each with a minimum 8+ inch beard. What a roast! Couldn't catch a break. Let alone when I was down by the aviary some goofball jogger decided to run in the woods next to where I was. If only there was a bird within range then. He would have surely needed a change of undies. Oh not to mention I almost did when in the same area a giant 6+ ft black mamba decided slither by. I almost started blasting away at him! Luckily for both of us the stick that was near me was enough to let it know of my presence and it slithered away like a bat out of hell. Not sure who was more afraid, me or the snake. Well congrats to all that connected. Gonna be back at it one final time this season tomorrow morning. Hopefully can finally connect otherwise it will be next May or maybe during deer season if a bird decides to be dumb again. I just want to connect for once on a bird I totally hunted on my own. *Side note, Jay has been coaching me quite well from text. Figure can't hurt to have a turkeyfeathers in my corner

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Bingo !!  Canuck gobbler  #1 at high noon today..Vital stats...21 lb, 9 1/2" beard and sharp inch spurs..Solid 3 year old bird...

Pretty good story, too but that will have to wait until I am posting from home..

Teaser..At 5:00 AM I had seven gobblers gobbling around me. all within 200 yards, but I had to wait until noon to get a shot....

Congrats! way to go!

7 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

My tower stand is in the hedgerow just to the left of that yellow arrowhead. Would you even think about sitting there? I have lots of pics of those two and the hens from the cam mounted to the leg of the tower. Seems wrong, especially shooting down on the bird.

I shot one from my stand last fall.  The stand is 9 ft up and the turkey was 40 yards away.   The stand has a 3 ft high barn wood wall all around and I was wearing a camo hat and jacket, but no face paint or mask.   There were about 8 turkeys in the group and they did not see me.  When one offered a clear shot, with no danger of striking the others,  I aimed for its neck with my 12 ga Remington 870, extra-full choke tube, and a 3" load of number 5 (plain lead).   At the shot, it flew up into a tree almost directly above me.   I could not see it clearly enough to shoot again just then, but it fell down into a ditch, after a minute or two.   I climbed down and shot it a second time (in the head), from 10 yards away, which stopped its flopping.   

I was very surprised when the bird took off after my first shot.  I had shot a grey squirrel at the same range with the same load the day before and it was instant "lights out".   When I butchered the turkey, I noted a couple shot passed thru the lung area, which I assume were from the first shot, and what caused it to drop from the tree.    I am not sure if aiming a little higher or lower would help from a stand.  Since a couple of my bb's apparently struck lower than my point of aim, I assume that I should have aimed higher.     It wouldn't hurt to pattern your gun from up there so you can find out for sure.    

• Like 1

Out in 3g trying doing some scouting for likely my last turkey hunt of the season tomorrow am. Private land right behind my house. Not five steps into the woods I spook a huge coyote.

Out to dark hoping to hear a tom reveal himself. Beautiful day and evening. e211d0f519c3d682b50777849b7bfcb1.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I was all revved up to go Sunday morning but my buddy has a guy hunting it.  Oh well, my other spot demands a 3am wake up and that ain't happening.  Our daughter graduated from UB this morning and we had a small bash here at our house.  The last of them left around 5pm and then my wife and I had to return some big ass chafing dishes we borrowed and drop our daughter off at her apartment. 

I'm pretty bushed and the weather sounds a little iff'y tomorrow anyway.........we'll finish cleaning up and getting the house back in order.  Oh well, good luck to you guys/gals going out tomorrow morning.

• Like 4

I love having a worthy adversary for the spring.  This bird is super spooky, and wary.  I think the only way we're going to get him is teamwork.  He caught me going in at 445 this morning (stupid moon) from a roost in big oak directly over the field he struts in.  Then I played with him from 6 to 730 in the hard woods.  He gobbles his head off but sets up in spots where I can't sneak on him.  Always 80 yards away.

Next weekend me and the one armed bandit will try a roundabout walk / setup with a shooter 70 yards in front of the caller.  I have only myself to blame for educating him opening day.  Though even then this bird feels wary.  Might be one of the jakes my buddy shot at last year.  He's not really a trophy yet, but he's game!

Out in 3g trying doing some scouting for likely my last turkey hunt of the season tomorrow am. Private land right behind my house. Not five steps into the woods I spook a huge coyote.

Out to dark hoping to hear a tom reveal himself. Beautiful day and evening. e211d0f519c3d682b50777849b7bfcb1.jpg&key=7dd0c7cffa7667470eae730646202884fa2f903ee88deefcdf89efa0d13dc346

Not a peep heard. Saw a giant raccoon that looks like it had cellulite. I am thinking it will be a slow morning tomorrow, but at least I will get in early and fall back asleep in the woods.

Lost a glove too, so at least I can hunt for that tomorrow.

Edit: tried to make my post in English.

• Like 2