Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

6 minutes ago, tarheel95 said:

Not a peep heard. Saw a giant raccoon that looks like it had cellulite. I am thinking it will be a slow morning tomorrow, but at leats I will get you early and fall back asleep in the woods.

Lost a glove too, so at least I can hunt for that tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Can all change very quickly.best of luck in the AM!!!!

1 minute ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Daughters not going in am has a friend over so meeting a buddy and hitting stateland.  No real plan just getting to highest hill in dark and waiting to see if we here anything.

Get there early.and listen.   Move on the roost gobbles for quick set up. Good luck 

Crap! Power blinked out overnight and the alarm didn’t go off. I just woke up with the light of the day coming in the windows. I moved my blind yesterday to just across from where they were roosted yesterday. Assuming they’re roosting late like yesterday so no way to get to it without getting busted.

Looks like a later start AFTER I work up a plan B for the morning.

Edited by Steuben Jerry

Didn’t even get dressed and there was one gobbling his head off out back change of plain halfass ran out and set up. I could see him up in the tree. After he flew down I yelp a few times, but there was a hen in between us she came in he didn’t. Then the sky opened up he was ripping to every thunder clap. He’s on the other property I don’t hunt but nether do the owners. Drying everything and heading back a little more prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard 2 birds far far off in the distance. I seen 4 buck 2 at 10 yrds and 2 came with in 10 feet of me. ?

One was big bodied and his main beams are already forked. Bad pic my phone sucks.

20190519_055648.jpg

20190519_055702.jpg

• Like 5

Slept through the 4 am alarm, but out in time to catch the sunrise. Beautiful morning in 3G. Not a gobble heard. Neighbors rooster and crows provided all the background noise.

Got into a war of words with a raspy hen. She finally had enough and came in to kick my ass. Was hoping she brought a Tom along with her but no luck. She hung around for a bit till she realized there was no hen and putted off.

On to soccer games. Best of luck to all out there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bingo !!   Tagged out on Canuck gobbler #2 this morning....Vital stats, 21 pounds, TWIN 9 1/2 inch beards and spurs 1" and 1 1/8 "...

He was with two  hens and a BIGGER ( body size) gobbler..The dominant bird stayed glued to the hens, but this guy came in to check me out...After I shot him, the big bird and one of the hens came over to check him out as he was flopping,..They stood forty yards from me ..That gobbler has HUGE..Big body, big head..Beard looked average, but it may have just looked that way because his body was so  big..

• Like 23

Any tips on hunting after a storm goes thru..... Might try to sneak in a hunt between storms.  It is pouring here now and a bit of lightning.  No fishing so hoping for a couple of hours of turkey hunting.  

Well they'll shock gobble to thunder 100% of the time so at least you'll know if there's a Tom around and a general idea of where you may be able to setup on him
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Bingo !!   Tagged out on Canuck gobbler #2 this morning....Vital stats, 21 pounds, TWIN 9 1/2 inch beards and spurs 1" and 1 1/8 "...

He was with two  hens and a BIGGER ( body size) gobbler..The dominant bird stayed glued to the hens, but this guy came in to check me out...After I shot him, the big bird and one of the hens came over to check him out as he was flopping,..They stood forty yards from me ..That gobbler has HUGE..Big body, big head..Beard looked average, but it may have just looked that way because his body was so  big..

Congratulations!!!  Sounds like another awesome gobbler! Can't wait to hear the stories and see the pics from this trip. Safe travels my friend!

21 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Nice going Dan!!!!

27 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Congrats Dan   You're putting the smack down on birds and making it look easy !

Thanks, Jay...Now and then even a blind hog finds an acorn...This is only the second timed since I have been hunting Canada ( about 20 years) that I have tagged out there and in NY the same year..  Now I gotta go home and cut grass...<<sigh>>...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Congrats Dan what a season!

• Thanks 1

Did see any more birds until I walked there was the usual hen in my yard. Now I’m not sure what to do tomorrow. Hunt here or head to the state land. On a good note I found my double glass call I left it in a stick blind last year needs a cleaning and maybe some glue around the edges. Hopefully it still sings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Damn.....Pygmy...international man of turkey!  What a great season.  Congrats. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had two gobblers interested this morning then they eventually lost interest and went back the way they came. Never saw them only heard them get closer and closer. Did manage to end my 16th or 17th season with a nice skunking for the season. But I did manage to catch a little shit feasting on my arm. Now I am sitting in the urgent Care to take out his head that he decided to leave me as a present when I pulled it off along with hopefully a course of antibiotics so I don't catch Lyme. NY really needs to fix the turkey season. It's too short and too late in the year. It's really a shame

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Thanks, Jay...Now and then even a blind hog finds an acorn...This is only the second timed since I have been hunting Canada ( about 20 years) that I have tagged out there and in NY the same year..  Now I gotta go home and cut grass...<<sigh>>...

Go fishing!!!

• Like 3