Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

7 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Tell you what-- I believe, I heard Gobbler Clucks in 4 directions this morning. That Barred Owl kept flying into different trees!   I think, I was surrounded by a Jake Flock. Probably the same one that, I saw on May 1st that has 6--7 members. I started to hear those Gobbler Clucks when the Barred Owl made the scene. Then, I heard 3 or 4 harsh Clucks and a fly-down. No other clucking after that. It was not Putting or a fly-down down Cackle.  Just a signal to the others.  Try that area again tomorrow and, I will focus on the fly-down area. Maybe a mature Bird will be in the mix Tomorrow as well.

If there's 6-7 jakes my guess is any adult bird will be tight lipped as he's sick of giving up his location for an azz kicking by those jakes BUT as we know any bird can do anything, act differently on any given day

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 7:58 AM, mlammerhirt said:

Settled in after getting the boys to school....my view for the morning.

My dad is on the other end of the property and just let me know on his way in he bumped a real nice buck. Said he was big bodied and sporting some real nice velvet already.

That made his morning already since we just hung a stand for him on that side to cover the lower section of grapes they like to use for cover.f7c2413f7ba6802f53497305724b4384.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Need an Adirondack chair and coffee and just kick back and enjoy that view from right there...if Tom Turkey walks by....even better..

Need an Adirondack chair and coffee and just kick back and enjoy that view from right there...if Tom Turkey walks by....even better..
It was a nice morning....no worries in world...tucked nice and tight to the wood line.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

We saw a skunk that was exciting. An Oriole- never saw one hunting.  Thunder rolled in and three turkeys were gobbling. We had a hen answer us back close for a half an hour we went back and forth.  The gobblers didn't want to play but we still managed to have a good time.20190525_101304.thumb.jpg.b57af1adffadc58427d227a20d7aec1a.jpg

20190525_091018.jpg

• Like 5

I am newbie, second season trying for Turkey so be kind.

Got out today, and around 5am had a gobble response to my owl hoot. Slowly worked my closer and gave a gobble with the box call, and gobbled back, I set up and a few minutes later the Turkey flew over me but was uncertain to tell if it was sporting a beard. I moved my way in that direction and after about a half hour, started letting out a few yelps (not sure of this was right move but I heard some response, sounded like cuts and short clucks/yelps. I replicated this, and tried a gobble - never got it to gobble back but thos bird was cutting and yelping so hard i thought for a second maybe anotherhinter. Therr was also another bird in the distance competing making similar noise. I got set up behind a bog tree and waited and the Turkey came in hard, about 50 yards out I could see its come in and stop and look right in my direction. I couldnt tell if it had a beard, went for my binoculars slowly once it moved behind a ridge and let outsome cuts and it was gone.  I slowly worked my way towards it (cut out to logging road and around a little) ended up jumping it up on a path running from me - calling was useless ad I was busted. As it ran away I had a shot but again could not see more then its head.

One thing I noticed was the intensity of my calls was probably too loud as it came in, and probably should not have called once I had made eye contact (make him wonder and come closer).

What would you have done different and why? I will be out there in a few hours, as I left after that thinking anymore calling would ruin a second chance tomorrow.

Looking for any help and advice. Tomorrow will be rainy and wondering of that should change my approach. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Imjus4u2nv said:

I am newbie, second season trying for Turkey so be kind.

Got out today, and around 5am had a gobble response to my owl hoot. Slowly worked my closer and gave a gobble with the box call, and gobbled back, I set up and a few minutes later the Turkey flew over me but was uncertain to tell if it was sporting a beard. I moved my way in that direction and after about a half hour, started letting out a few yelps (not sure of this was right move but I heard some response, sounded like cuts and short clucks/yelps. I replicated this, and tried a gobble - never got it to gobble back but thos bird was cutting and yelping so hard i thought for a second maybe anotherhinter. Therr was also another bird in the distance competing making similar noise. I got set up behind a bog tree and waited and the Turkey came in hard, about 50 yards out I could see its come in and stop and look right in my direction. I couldnt tell if it had a beard, went for my binoculars slowly once it moved behind a ridge and let outsome cuts and it was gone.  I slowly worked my way towards it (cut out to logging road and around a little) ended up jumping it up on a path running from me - calling was useless ad I was busted. As it ran away I had a shot but again could not see more then its head.

One thing I noticed was the intensity of my calls was probably too loud as it came in, and probably should not have called once I had made eye contact (make him wonder and come closer).

What would you have done different and why? I will be out there in a few hours, as I left after that thinking anymore calling would ruin a second chance tomorrow.

Looking for any help and advice. Tomorrow will be rainy and wondering of that should change my approach. 

Keep the calling very soft and infrequent.  If he’s close scratch leaves behind you sounding like a hen feeding , a soft purr and maybe a cluck.  Yes , you’re not going to sneak up on a close bird.  Good luck today and that bird is indeed killable today.  Post pics when you do.  

• Like 1

Hiked in some state land just behind the house, where I have heard birds while doing morning chores.

Tough hike. Briefly considered going back for ropes and spikes, but a friendly sherpa loaned me some stuff on the way up here.

This hill shall henceforth be known as the Murderhorn.

Good luck fellas.

• Like 5

Been dead quiet here in 7F for the last week. We had a mini storm go through last night and the mosquitoes are everywhere. The thermacell is working like a charm in our blind. Boy could you sell some thermacells today!           valoroutdoors.com 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

This local bird has hung with the same jake the entire season

He's gay! Not that there's anything wrong with that!

You'll have to call to him with young gobbler clucks to get his attention! Haha, good luck!

• Like 1