Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

TF...I'm joining you out here for a quick hunt before work. Only have until about 830....then that's the season for me. Have to be at work early tomorrow morning. Good luck to you.

So far the roost area here is dead quiet this morning again.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

there is a monster Tom 4 minutes from my office and he is out in a field with two hens every single day, all day.  Everytime i drive by there he is out in full strut and he is a beauty.........and ....... he is surrounded by houses and a thin treeline and no way anyone could hunt him there.  Smart fella! 

Every day there is two big tom’s on Transit Rd in East Amherst, one north of Dann Rd and the other south of Dann Rd.  Could be more than one at each spot  but I’m just counting strutting birds while traveling at high speed.  :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ODYSSEUS said:

I moved in late into the Foggy Field at 5.35am. Spooked a Jake, I believe who was already down He was about 75 Yards out into the Field. 3 seconds later--2 BOLTS ran from a large clump on the field edge. I don't  look like Richard Gere-LOL! They were 2 Coyotes who sprinted away from me. They might have nailed that Jake in another 5 minutes or so. I did some Cutting later in the field and, I heard - roost pits 80 yards away. Fog is just lifting. I think they are Jake's also in a corner tree.  Clucks+ Purrs+ Quavers to hopefully get them in my direction.

Bolts?

(I call ‘em Blades)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Every day there is two big tom’s on Transit Rd in East Amherst, one north of Dann Rd and the other south of Dann Rd.  Could be more than one at each spot  but I’m just counting strutting birds while traveling at high speed.  :)

No hunting allowed. Smart Tom Tom's, LOL.

23 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

hows it going out there ?

TF, the fog lifted around 7:00, never heard a gobble, saw 1 hen alone in the field watched her feed her way to the woods. Saw a Jake come out to the field where she went in. We made a move on the Jake and as we were getting close the neighbor shoots a 22? the Jake took off. I don't know if the shot was at a chuck or did he see us and shot on purpose? Walked and called right up to 11:30 nothing except we saw another lone hen in another field. I'm done for the season as I'm going to Pittsburgh to see the Who tonight and driving back tomorrow. Good luck to all giving it one "last try"

Update on my nesting hen, she is still sitting all day. (at least when I have been home to check it) I can't check the trail camera without getting right next to her so I'm waiting for a chance when she is up and feeding. I hope it's soon as I really need to cut my lawn!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Anybody joining me in the woods and thread this morning? 

Taking a vacation day tomorrow to give it one last crack. Any legal bird is game on and I'm making sure to get in on time. No excuses, as it's the last real good hunting until October in my opinion. 

• Like 3

Saw 2 jakes off at about 40 yards. Burris red dot on one. Cousin doesn’t see them. I let them walk. Scratched some leaves few minutes later and here they come. Now he sees them at about 20 yards from different angle. One started to half strut and the other pecked at DSD hen deke. Then the fun happens. Full Jake strut and mounts the decoy. He banged on it atop of it for ten good minutes. Knocked it over but Still enjoying himself. Other watching. Waiting for cousin to kill his first bird. And waiting. Non humper periscoped and putt putt. Boom my cousin clean over the top. I immediately drop the hammer on mr hump thinking he connected going for double. Nope I see his run off and mine folded up. Had gobbles few minutes ago and currently working a yelping hen. 91ef6d91ef5d62ab73623f016365a6e4.jpg089dea23e56011b8b2498f527fb54d71.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2019 at 5:12 AM, turkeyfeathers said:

We need how it unfolded please.  Nice bird 

Went out early and had to be out early due to family obligations. So about 730 I wrapped everything up and was out. When I heard a gobble close by. So I ran back in and set up quick. Made a few low calls and had one way off gobble back. I thought I must have spooked the close bird. Then the he sounded off and I knew I was in the game. About 1 minute later I saw a blue head come running down the field edge. He came into 20 yards and that's where he stopped.  Happened super quick.

• Like 10

Congrats TF and biggamefish!

I'm off tomorrow and was on the fence whether I wanted to give it one more try or not. I was leaning towards "no", but since it sounds like there are still some vocal and love sick gobblers out there, I guess I'll drag my ass out of bed at 3am for one last hunt of the season.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

Went out early and had to be out early due to family obligations. So about 730 I wrapped everything up and was out. When I heard a gobble close by. So I ran back in and set up quick. Made a few low calls and had one way off gobble back. I thought I must have spooked the close bird. Then the he sounded off and I knew I was in the game. About 1 minute later I saw a blue head come running down the field edge. He came into 20 yards and that's where he stopped.  Happened super quick.

this is what my wife complains about. surprise! then it's over...

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Saw 2 jakes off at about 40 yards. Burris red dot on one. Cousin doesn’t see them. I let them walk. Scratched some leaves few minutes later and here they come. Now he sees them at about 20 yards from different angle. One started to half strut and the other pecked at DSD hen deke. Then the fun happens. Full Jake strut and mounts the decoy. He banged on it atop of it for ten good minutes. Knocked it over but Still enjoying himself. Other watching. Waiting for cousin to kill his first bird. And waiting. Non humper periscoped and putt putt. Boom my cousin clean over the top. I immediately drop the hammer on mr hump thinking he connected going for double. Nope I see his run off and mine folded up. Had gobbles few minutes ago and currently working a yelping hen. 91ef6d91ef5d62ab73623f016365a6e4.jpg089dea23e56011b8b2498f527fb54d71.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good hunt and a good bird. Congratulations

Got my decoys out and sat down. not two minutes later I see movement and it's the farmer. Had to stick with blind as my son was with me. This left me with little options and we ended up going fishing.  Congratulations to Turkey Feathers. 

20190530_090002.jpg

Edited by kpkot