Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

Got my decoys out and sat down. not two minutes later I see movement and it's the farmer. Had to stick with blind as my son was with me. This left me with little options and we ended up going fishing.  Congratulations to Turkey Feathers. 
20190530_090002.thumb.jpg.841aff14af3bd5ebab5a76414cc3dd07.jpg
Homemade blind?

Looks interesting....got any closer pics.

I am in the early stages of building two portable blinds on old trailers for this fall that I can fit in with my two young boys.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

So after cousin clean missed high and I thumped my bird. Tagged it. Bird rips in ravine. I say let’s go get you your first. Redemption time. He shuts down as we moved about 150 yards. Then vocal hen gets yelping. I wait about 15 minutes and aggressively call at her in hopes he comes with her. She yelps 3x I yelp 4x. Her 5 me 6. He fires up again. He’s coming. Cousin is far from stealthy and always moving despite me saying something. Like get your gun up too. Then another Tom putt putt 30 yards in front of him and takes wing into gorge. First hot Tom 150 yards , now 100 and hen yammering away at me all the while he’s gobbling. He’s behind us , cousin trying to move around multi trunk cherry for shot and I’m only throwing purrs , scratching. Pow he’s close. Blow down large cherry between us and Tom. 40 yards tops. I look at time. 11:58. Ballz. We move back towards his truck to get out of woods. He’s full strut at 45. Hammering. Clean shot but it’s 12:06. Putts and boot scoot boogies. Great day today. Wish we could have doubled as I have that nemesis bird I wanted to try tomorrow. I need to be in the woods tomorrow so maybe I’ll go to work him minus gun and or hope to connect with someone to at least enjoy the morning with. Seeing my bird mounting the decoy I had to contain the laughter. And wait for cousin to shoot and wait. Great morning regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I might end up eating my 2nd Tag Tomorrow.  It has been a exciting Season though. I know, I made the right choice on May 1st in letting that Gobbler with the 2 saplings in front of him walk off. And that 2nd early Tom that was at around 65 yards. I let him walk too. After awhile- you just know if you will just wound the Gobbler . I called in that 4 year old on the 17th at least. I ate all 5 NJ TAGS though. 1 more early wakeup .
Tags go great with fresh walleye and salmon..... Trust me

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Homemade blind?

Looks interesting....got any closer pics.

I am in the early stages of building two portable blinds on old trailers for this fall that I can fit in with my two young boys.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

homemade no pictures.  basically a pallet then PVC frame then hog fencing wrapped in a tarp.  made it to look like a hay bale then put a camo tarp on it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Belo said:

First day in the blind since I got my first bird. Man it was light before 5!

Messed up again and forgot the thermacell and I’m thinking I’m going to pay for it

It was mosquito swarm before firing up my thermacell. Keep that puppy in your vest.  I have enough fuel and pads to last for days in my vest.  

Last day in pa been a tough week but have some blood to show for it. Fog is lifting and a bird just gobbled at the other end of a huge field and his hen is going ballistic after hearing some bomber talk. Got 13 hrs to make it happen. Let's play buddy. The hen is coming gotta see what happens here he is rapid fire gobbling now

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

What a bizarre morning. My dead nuts, always a few, but often many birds roosting spot has been silent. No fly downs, no gobbles and didn’t bump any.

I will say that it’s a beautiful spring morning and I’d be otherwise sitting at my desk, but dang...

• Like 2

Wow that didn't take long. She mustaches woke up on the wrong side of the limb today.. she screamed the whole 300 yards with everything from kee kee runs to had cutting he wouldn't even stop running to gobble. The hen went by me at 4 feet and had to yell to get him to stop. Lol.
As soon as he stopped he went into strut and showed a full fan and as soon. As he broke strut it was lights out.

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, reeltime said:

Wow that didn't take long. She mustaches woke up on the wrong side of the limb today.. she screamed the whole 300 yards with everything from kee kee runs to had cutting he wouldn't even stop running to gobble. The hen went by me at 4 feet and had to yell to get him to stop. Lol.
As soon as he stopped he went into strut and showed a full fan and as soon. As he broke strut it was lights out.

youve got 12 hours left now what??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, reeltime said:

Last day in pa been a tough week but have some blood to show for it. Fog is lifting and a bird just gobbled at the other end of a huge field and his hen is going ballistic after hearing some bomber talk. Got 13 hrs to make it happen. Let's play buddy. The hen is coming gotta see what happens here he is rapid fire gobbling now

You had a great season already Lee!  Those were some monster birds you killed here and in PA.

Ha - just read you killed another!

Edited by moog5050

youve got 12 hours left now what??
Well just got back to the truck.only took 7hrs 30 minutes round trip. Lol. So now back to camp clean the bird and work on hay equipment so it's ready for hay season.

Been a long 2 months. Didn't miss a daybreak in the woods since 4/1 got 2 gobblers in ny and 2 in pa. Got flooded out for Nebraska and just had too much work going to hit Ohio and Maine as planned. Hate the end of the season but I do need to catch up on work. At least i won't be racking up Miles on the truck, just over 4400 Miles since April 1st.

• Like 5

Had an amazing last day! Tagged out with about a half hour before I had to give up for work. Nice bird I have been hunting the last couple weeks. Ivory tip and all! Finally met his match today! Was a tougher year for me than usual. 

IMG_6190.jpg

Edited by rotorooter23
  • Like 17