WNYBuckHunter

Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

Had at least 3 gobblers that were very vocal this morning. They gobbled ~500 times between 5:30-7:30, then either stopped or were out of ear shot. I packed up at 9:45 and thought I would move the blind to a spot ~400 yards away, to where I plan on hunting tomorrow, to save me from lugging it in and putting it up in the morning. I finished putting it up and brushing it in and looked at my phone, it was 10:45. I thought I would throw out a few yelps and had 2 gobblers respond, both ~200 yards away in different directions. I jumped in the blind and hoped for the best. They gobbled several times, but didn't sound like they were getting any closer. I packed up at 11:55 and headed in. Hopefully tomorrow will end in my favor...

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 4

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." - Wease

Was up at 7 and it was super foggy east of Rochester. Felt bad for you guys, but tomorrow looks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Was up at 7 and it was super foggy east of Rochester. Felt bad for you guys, but tomorrow looks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not for me...bummer was hoping to do some good work. Though I did read they like to go to fields in the rain so may just set up my blind and give it a shot for the hell of it. Hopefully my 870 doesn't turn to rust dust after the rain though121863390696fcf055f27f0289f14f76.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

These toms have been locked up with the lady's I decided to break out the secret weapon maybe it will piss them off

IMG_20190504_162308_788.jpg

50 minutes ago, silent death said:

These toms have been locked up with the lady's I decided to break out the secret weapon maybe it will piss them off

IMG_20190504_162308_788.jpg

Be careful of trespassers but you already know that. Hope that seals the deal for you 

• Like 3

I might get up tomorrow and go for my first time out this year. Both kids want to go, I’m going to try and spot one tonight but don’t expect to see any tonight being it’s the first weekend and I know they have been hunted or bothered. 

That leaves the place that’s an hour away. 

I have my Camo rainsuit ready. Plenty of Gobbling these past 4 days. I want to get back down to NJ, but want to get one in NY first.   I have 2 Raspy Glass Rain calls and a few Super Raspy Boxes. That Boss Hen, I heard this morning had all the Gobblers closing in. They went right to her. No-- it was not a another hunter. I have a Turpin Box and a Albert Paul Box that sounds just like her. I had to pass on that Gobbler on May 1st and another this morning as, I wrote. My closer opportunities are Coming.  The best Gobblers, I have taken were the ones where, I could clearly see the Gobblers eyes. That was the overriding rule for many of the old time Masters and one, I read about early on. I saw 6 other Spring Hunters out this morning and Tomorrow the same Probably.   I am going right back to where, I was this pre-dawn. I have not Spooked a Gobbler yet- so that is good. 

• Like 1

How do you guys get so good at telling how far are birds are from the roost? Ive come to the conclusion im not a very good turkey hunter lol. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

How do you guys get so good at telling how far are birds are from the roost? Ive come to the conclusion im not a very good turkey hunter lol. 

I had bird I thought was 250 yards out other morning. Then gobbled again on ground and now facing me. A lot closer than I thought  oh crap, he’s soon at 40 yards. A fun surprise that I think I muttered oh crap 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I had bird I thought was 250 yards out other morning. Then gobbled again on ground and now facing me. A lot closer than I thought  oh crap, he’s soon at 40 yards. A fun surprise that I think I muttered oh crap 

Not a bad problem to have. I usually have them closeish, but not being able to call them in. Is it possible for a pot call to be worn out? I used to be able to strike birds up with my pot call, but the last couple years theyve been ignoring it. 

1 minute ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Not a bad problem to have. I usually have them closeish, but not being able to call them in. Is it possible for a pot call to be worn out? I used to be able to strike birds up with my pot call, but the last couple years theyve been ignoring it. 

You condition it with a scotch brite pad ? Back and forth , not circles . Find the sweet spot and mark it    You want striker to skip across condtioned lines with stutter steps.  My primos jackpot slate has aided if not killed every bird. Can’t wear em out. Slate sucks moisture and humidity.  Even foggy humid days pot call needs to be repetitively conditioned.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turkeyfeathers said:

You condition it with a scotch brite pad ? Back and forth , not circles . Find the sweet spot and mark it    You want striker to skip across condtioned lines with stutter steps.  My primos jackpot slate has aided if not killed every bird. Can’t wear em out. Slate sucks moisture and humidity.  Even foggy humid days pot call needs to be repetitively conditioned.  

Im using a crystal call so I use sandpaper. Primos crystal call if im correct. I was thinking about picking up a slate call though

8 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Im using a crystal call so I use sandpaper. Primos crystal call if im correct. I was thinking about picking up a slate call though

Side to side conditioning not circles ? 

Sweet spot usually just outside edges  in my experience 

1 minute ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Side to side conditioning not circles ? 

Sweet spot usually just outside edges  in my experience 

Side to side. I did circles once 5 years ago and realized the error in my ways pretty fast. 

• Like 1

I use either a H.S. STRUT conditioning stone for Glass. calls or Gritty Sandpaper. Slate gets the Green Scruff pad. Yeah-- side to side. My Rainy day striker (Tomorrow) is Acrylic. Carbon works good in a light rain too-- but, I like Acrylic much better.

I have all 4 knight and hale pot calls they made a few years back in the hammer series. They all have their uses

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Neat things you come across on new land. Might be a town line as I found 4 in a line.

2442_1557011816227.jpeg

• Like 6

Trying new property tomorrow.  Quick scout tonight and saw two birds very far off and couldn't tell what sex. Looking forward to some new scenery. 

• Like 3

Farmer that gave me and my daughter permission to hunt sent me a pick of a tom gobbling outside his window of the house today.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kpkot said:

Trying new property tomorrow.  Quick scout tonight and saw two birds very far off and couldn't tell what sex. Looking forward to some new scenery. 

New views are always great.  Enjoy the morning and good luck. 

• Like 2

Gonna give it a go in the am. First of only a few changes for me. Good luck in the am boys

• Like 3

Switching gears to habitat improvements!

22 minutes ago, zag said:

Gonna give it a go in the am. First of only a few changes for me. Good luck in the am boys

I had a bird going real hot next to your dad's property opening day on my buddies.  He headed YOUR way with his hens, pronto after he heard me.  :(

Kill 'em tomorrow.

• Like 3

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

35 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I had a bird going real hot next to your dad's property opening day on my buddies.  He headed YOUR way with his hens, pronto after he heard me.  :(

Kill 'em tomorrow.

Awesome!! Yeah they usually roost towards the back line. Hopefully it's a quick hunt in the morn, but there has been many of times it's been a ghost town for hearing birds. Have lawn duty and another baseball game so I won't have a ton of time.

2 minutes ago, zag said:

Awesome!! Yeah they usually roost towards the back line. Hopefully it's a quick hunt in the morn, but there has been many of times it's been a ghost town for hearing birds. Have lawn duty and another baseball game so I won't have a ton of time.

South side of H Rd..........(cryptic enough?)

:)

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

14 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

South side of H Rd..........(cryptic enough?)

:)

That's the spot!! Hoping to here them gobble there brains out!

• Like 1