WNYBuckHunter

Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

Its possible i heard more gobbles today than in the last ten years combined, two birds just hammering back and forth for an hour and forty five minutes. The fog kept them in the trees until after 7. They worked their way to a gas line and strutted before a real hen came in, and I also had a deer blowing over my left shoulder. I finally decided to move on them every time they got behind a big maple, didnt work lol. They werent spooked too badly but they moved off with the hen so I backed out

• Like 2

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Gooduck to all out there today, it was a wash out in 3M today.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On the ride home sure as heck I am looking into a cut corn field across from a dairy farm and I see a huge Tom in full strut.....get out and my binos to glass....and sure as heck he is courting a hen. What a cool experience

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Tapping out. Daughter thinks 3 were hammering after they hit the ground. Apparently they henned up quick as shut right down Still built memories in the woods together. Now she can’t go til end of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Still out, hoping to take one with the bow. Had about 8 gobbling within ~200 yards of me at daylight. At 7:20, a group of 6 of what looked to be jakes, came out ~75 yards. They looked over my decoys and went back the way they came. I can't imagine they were intimidated by my strutting jake decoy. This isn't the first time this has happened, so I took it down as a precaution after they left today. Guess I'll just depend on the hen decoys to bring them in from now on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." - Wease

I got Soaked! Had my rainsuit of course but my Legs got drenched. I quit early at 8am. 0 for 11^_^

• Like 1

I got Soaked! Had my rainsuit of course but my Legs got drenched. I quit early at 8am. 0 for 11
Sorry to hear that, but happy you validated my decision to stay in bed this am and catch up on sleep.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On the ride home sure as heck I am looking into a cut corn field across from a dairy farm and I see a huge Tom in full strut.....get out and my binos to glass....and sure as heck he is courting a hen. What a cool experience.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Today was my most exciting turkey hunt of my short turkey hunting career. Was going to have a buddy come to my place to hunt. However the lack of turkeys lately made us choose a property in Darien he has permission to hunt. Got to the fields by 530 and listened for awhile and didn't hear any birds. We did hear a other hunter hittin the owl hooter pretty hard. We decided to move back to the edge of a field that border hardwoods and had fields on either side of us. We sat and called for about a hour and a half with no responses. He moved down the edge of a field next to us and called. Got a reaction immediately from a tom that was probably 250-300 yards away. We made a plan and moved towards the tom which was sounding off on the other side of a ravine in a hidden back field. When we got to the ravine i called and instantly he responded. We setup there calling to him and he kept gobbling. However he wasnymt moving, and we figured he was around 150 yards away in the far field. We moved up the ravine through some pines and stopped just below the crest of the hill. We would call and he would respond, but still in that corner. He decided we should move to the edge of the field by us. When we got there and called we got no response...did we spook him? We stayed there contemplating our next move. Then boom he gobbles and is within 100 yards nack in the pines. We each move into the pines across from us, i call and gobbles back. Next i could see two heads cresting the other side of the pines 50 yards away, 2 hens, and behind them there he was full strut blue and bright white head glowing. I had a downed tree 20 yards out infront of me blocking most of him except the top of his head and his tail feathers, my buddy adjusted to try and get a better view and the hens saw it. They all got nervous and started moving awy slowly, i figured it was now or never i gave a couple yelps so he would pick his head up, it worked, boom...flop...turkey dinner. 38 yards, mossy 835 with winchester xx 3.5" #5.

8.5" beard, 1" spurs, guesstimated weight of 21lbs. Sorry for the long response, great day in the woods.

20190505_081651.jpg

20190505_081908.jpg

20190505_085640.jpg

• Like 34

Great job Zeke.  He’s a beauty!!

• Like 2

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

That's the way to do it.  Congrats. 

Those hunts where you need to move several times to get the job done are the most satisfying, IMHO. :drinks:

• Like 1

I only walked a bit over 3 miles today. The rain was very Light until around 7am. That is when, I started a slow walk out. Time to clean my Shotgun now  Next 2 days are going to be Sunny in my area--- Orange County before more rain is forecast. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Today was my most exciting turkey hunt of my short turkey hunting career. Was going to have a buddy come to my place to hunt. However the lack of turkeys lately made us choose a property in Darien he has permission to hunt. Got to the fields by 530 and listened for awhile and didn't hear any birds. We did hear a other hunter hittin the owl hooter pretty hard. We decided to move back to the edge of a field that border hardwoods and had fields on either side of us. We sat and called for about a hour and a half with no responses. He moved down the edge of a field next to us and called. Got a reaction immediately from a tom that was probably 250-300 yards away. We made a plan and moved towards the tom which was sounding off on the other side of a ravine in a hidden back field. When we got to the ravine i called and instantly he responded. We setup there calling to him and he kept gobbling. However he wasnymt moving, and we figured he was around 150 yards away in the far field. We moved up the ravine through some pines and stopped just below the crest of the hill. We would call and he would respond, but still in that corner. He decided we should move to the edge of the field by us. When we got there and called we got no response...did we spook him? We stayed there contemplating our next move. Then boom he gobbles and is within 100 yards nack in the pines. We each move into the pines across from us, i call and gobbles back. Next i could see two heads cresting the other side of the pines 50 yards away, 2 hens, and behind them there he was full strut blue and bright white head glowing. I had a downed tree 20 yards out infront of me blocking most of him except the top of his head and his tail feathers, my buddy adjusted to try and get a better view and the hens saw it. They all got nervous and started moving awy slowly, i figured it was now or never i gave a couple yelps so he would pick his head up, it worked, boom...flop...turkey dinner. 38 yards, mossy 835 with winchester xx 3.5" #5.

8.5" beard, 1" spurs, guesstimated weight of 21lbs. Sorry for the long response, great day in the woods.

20190505_081651.jpg

20190505_081908.jpg

20190505_085640.jpg

Excellent hunt. Great bird. 

Same gun as I have too. I like it.

• Like 2

20190505_081651.thumb.jpg.c36effe90e4e9d32ae75abc34017393d.jpg
20190505_081908.thumb.jpg.ea43d97585b0c1811422ecd393bc5fd1.jpg
20190505_085640.thumb.jpg.2296a5bf8179c4d0f1010983ff7ba026.jpg

Great hunt and bird- never apologize for a long post like that! Awesome read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Great bird ..... wth  is that blue sky in that pic . Haven't seen blue sky in a while ...  blue sky and sun would be nice .

• Like 1

I finally found a dumb one..Or maybe just got lucky...After four days of hunting from pre-dawn until  noon and hearing just a few gobbles and getting very little response...

Set up this morning in my blind with a strutter and two hens out....No roost gobbling....After flydown I started doing some clucking, ,purring and soft yelps....No  gobbling...About 7:00 am  a hen came out, shortly followed by two others...I got the gun ready and sure enough, here comes the gobbler  trotting after the hens   Ba-da BOOM !!…  18.5 lb, nice heavy 9" beard and 7/8" spurs.....  Not the most exciting hunt I have ever had, but after 4 slow days , he was more than welcome...

• Like 27

Great morning yesterday. Several good birds working from 4 different roosts on the same farm. Finally get a big boy to come 600 yards across the meadow to 49 yards and just skirted around us. Wanted nothing to do with the dekes. My nephew and I cracked up at how rude and disrepectful that bird was. I couldn’t go this morning but my nephew did. Same thing; however, the purrs got to him and he shot him at 7 yards. 

A0F0B230-D75A-46A5-822A-1694000534E0.jpeg

• Like 19