WNYBuckHunter

Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

12 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Pygmy. Throw  up.

That's what I saw at first......................weird.

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

Dropped one! Not much of a story but I shot him at 4 yards. He come running down the field edge to a lone hen in the field.

2dd78f25f15e1f214a5dbfa74ec27e04.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 25

11 minutes ago, Shadd Rapp said:

Dropped one! Not much of a story but I shot him at 4 yards. He come running down the field edge to a lone hen in the field.

4 yards...must be a new world record for close up and personal harvest. Wow...and congrats.

• Like 2

Saw a Tom and 4 hens during legal hours. just getting home  from planting 500 of the state trees. while planting a gobbler was going crazy. At first it was like come on! Then the more he kept gobbling it kept me entertained - kinda like working with a radio on. Man I am whooped though... Hoping next venture is Friday 

• Like 3

2dd78f25f15e1f214a5dbfa74ec27e04.jpg&key=3c426ca43679ff0d8535f04a39fb37bd13dcdf0f7bc721ace727a0c8981370b1

Self defense at that point!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 degrees barely a whisp of wind Going to take a woodsroad a little deeper into and near their bedroom we heard them roosting in yesterday. Good luck to all giving it ago today.

• Like 7

Just heard three shots across the road from my house. Yesterday morning there were a couple trucks parked along the road over there.

• Sad 1

Ha. One bird hammering where they did first day and not yesterday. So I boogied a few hundred yards. 6-8 ground gobbles and silence

8CF674E7-DB18-4FFF-9C46-D633D910A035.jpeg

Edited by turkeyfeathers

We got my buddy his first bird on Sat morning, in Naples. (He is the one in blue hat)

Called him in around 930 with my Father In-law's old Lynch's fool proof box call.

Really happy for Paul, he has been trying for a long time. 

Thankful he was able to get him at my place, and that I was there to share in it.

1" spurs. 8.5" beard. 19lbs.

0504191052_Burst01.jpg

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 21

"Stand Your Ground. Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."

Captain John Parker, Lexington 1775

Sorry pic is sideways. 

"Stand Your Ground. Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."

Sorry for the late post, I got out yesterday in 9F heard nothing at first light except a neighbor cranking on his owl hooter. Who owl hoots over 1 hour before light? I got set up in a small patch of oaks where they are there or not. No gobbles, i was thinking of calling it when i hear 1 pitch out of the trees real close. Almost immediately a gobble followed. I made a couple of soft yelps on mouth call and boom! real close, then another pitch down followed by 2 more gobbles. I get re-positioned and wait. 5 minutes later there he is at 25 yds. I can't see his beard behind a blow down, he goes into strut and has a full tail, but i still can't see a beard, he turns and moves behind a cluster of trees and figure when he pokes out on the left I'll be able to see his beard , but he walked straight away and gave me no shot!! He never gobbled again! i stayed until noon tried a few different locations and nothing. I know i could have killed him but I don't like shooting Jakes so he got a pass. There will be more chances, it's a long month. 

Edited by 2012_taco
spelling
  • Like 5

Hunt when I can.. ;)

Resting up on a Log and waiting for Gobbling to start up again some after 9am. I must have heard at least 20 Birds. Private land on other side of River. 3 wingbeats over is all it takes. Some on my side as well.

Resting up on a Log and waiting for Gobbling to start up again some after 9am. I must have heard at least 20 Birds. Private land on other side of River. 3 wingbeats over is all it takes. Some on my side as well.

Come on Bill! You let me down the other day

• Haha 2

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

Ha Ha Biz!  Public Land is very Tough. No matter your Years Spring Hunting, your Calling and or Woodsmanship Skills-- add just 1 fast moving Mountain Biker to the mix and all your Knowledge is for Naught. He has every right to be there too. Add in Joggers, Group Hikers, Dog Walkers,Group Mountain Bikers, and it adds up to a Fun morning.  You take the bad with the good and keep trying .:sungum:

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Ha Ha Biz!  Public Land is very Tough. No matter your Years Spring Hunting, your Calling and or Woodsmanship Skills-- add just 1 fast moving Mountain Biker to the mix and all your Knowledge is for Naught. He has every right to be there too. Add in Joggers, Group Hikers, Dog Walkers,Group Mountain Bikers, and it adds up to a Fun morning.  You take the bad with the good and keep trying .:sungum:

Good luck Odysseus if all goes well I will be out there later in the week . 

• Like 1

Bagging it. Gotta work at noon. Nice to hear gobbles even if nobody wanted to play. Henned up after fly down will do that

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

8.5" beard, 1" spurs, guesstimated weight of 21lbs. Sorry for the long response, great day in the woods.

don't ever be sorry for typing the story. For me and many others as we drink our coffee at work, the story is better than the pictures. Congrats on a great bird!

• Like 2

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

14 hours ago, Shadd Rapp said:

man talk about a jelly head! congrats!

• Like 1

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

3 hours ago, Skillet said:

We got my buddy his first bird on Sat morning, in Naples. (He is the one in blue hat)

Called him in around 930 with my Father In-law's old Lynch's fool proof box call.

Really happy for Paul, he has been trying for a long time. 

Thankful he was able to get him at my place, and that I was there to share in it.

1" spurs. 8.5" beard. 19lbs.

0504191052_Burst01.jpg

congrats to your buddy. hope he wasn't wearing that blue hat in the woods :blind:

• Like 3

-Aldo Leopold 

1 hour ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Been some good discussion on this at the national level. Share the woods is all good and well and I'm for it. But doesn't it grind your gears a little that hunters pay to protect these tracts of land, and recreational users don't? And i'm not just talking tag sales, but the pittman robertson act as well. How many of the granola munchers do you think are anti-gun and have no idea that recreational shooters, not even hunters fund the majority of conservation efforts that they enjoy?

I guess some states are looking to introduce a backpack tax, but nobody expects it will pass. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-Aldo Leopold 

Had to quit early. I had some Jake's coming in. A few Kee- Kee Runs quickened their step.  They were too Shy to show themselves.  Heard Longbeards also. Try these Toms Tomorrow very early.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

congrats to your buddy. hope he wasn't wearing that blue hat in the woods :blind:

No he wasn't. Just a facemask.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Been some good discussion on this at the national level. Share the woods is all good and well and I'm for it. But doesn't it grind your gears a little that hunters pay to protect these tracts of land, and recreational users don't? And i'm not just talking tag sales, but the pittman robertson act as well. How many of the granola munchers do you think are anti-gun and have no idea that recreational shooters, not even hunters fund the majority of conservation efforts that they enjoy?

I guess some states are looking to introduce a backpack tax, but nobody expects it will pass. 

My fear would be if non hunters had to pay, then they would have more of a say in management and use.

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 1