WNYBuckHunter

Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

It’s amazing how a day can go from crap to amazing in a second
f6b55d1d18e6139d6b62c7abe7cf2150.jpg&key=b705c330675b6b50dbbc0505b830eba04895988a209796fd6d75ed4654bc221e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats man!

• Like 2

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

f6b55d1d18e6139d6b62c7abe7cf2150.jpg&key=b705c330675b6b50dbbc0505b830eba04895988a209796fd6d75ed4654bc221e

Whole bunch of driving paid off for you!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

f6b55d1d18e6139d6b62c7abe7cf2150.jpg

Congratulations my friend! Well done!

• Like 1

So last Thursday my dad tells me to come check something out. In the middle of his lawn, not near any bushes or trees is this turkey egg (i believe) embedded in some moss exactly as you can see below. Just like someone plopped it there, but I dont believe this is normal for a hen. We're thinking perhaps a predator dropped it?

any thoughts?

014.thumb.JPG.15772975088d852113734ba9ca0d6c1c.JPG

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

I have heard of this before. No easy answer.Maybe that Hen got Spooked off that Single Egg before laying more and found a more secluded spot.

3 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Go for it Storm!! You will be Hooked. 

Last time I did spring Turkey  I  pulled a big ass  tick out of me .

But I'm going to give it another go this year . Hope it stays cold those basterds really start moving as the temperatures rise 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Last time I did spring Turkey  I  pulled a big ass  tick out of me .

But I'm going to give it another go this year . Hope it stays cold those basterds really start moving as the temperatures rise 

spray with permithrin.   I don't like warm weather for spring birds. Those feathers suck the sunlight and birds get hot. although nearby water sources may be a key. pines and non field mode. After a bust of an all morning sit hearing nothing on my out I busted a flock at bottom of big hill drinking from trout stream and ankle deep in it.

• Like 4

Okay so heres the story of my bird. Going to be a tad long so I apologise in advance.

Got to my spot at 5am, ate and was at the general area the birds are usually roosted in by 5:22. Heard the first confirmed gobble at 5:30, but a few hundred yards away so I didnt pay much attnetion. I was thinking the birds that are usually with in 100 yards of where I was standing were going to sound off any minute, but they never did. Ive never not had a couple roost in this area for all the years im hunting here. So I made a move on the other tom at 6, but he only gobbled a few times on the roost, and a few times on the ground and shut up. I let out a call and got a response, but I think it was just a good timing and not an actual response to the call I made. I had one other bird tripple gobble behind me about 300 yards or so away, but when I made a move on that bird, it was dead quiet. I did a bunch of running and gunning, but never got a response from any birds.

I decided I was going to go across the road and hunt the guys brothers property. Ive seen birds there the few times Ive walked down there to deer hunt or duck hunt, but Ive never actually had a bird respond. By the time I got down to where I thought the birds would be I was exhasted. Bumped 5 deer bedded 40 yards from where I was sitting and called for about an hour or so before deciding to walk back to the car. I was at a low spot, because I figured my season was already shot, I started making my way to my car and I heard a loudish noise and what I thought was a gobble. I decided to get closer and throw out a call and see. Only problem was the brook thats usually a nice gentle stream is now flowing pretty good and extreemly loud. I called a few times and Thought I was getting a response each time, but I couldnt tell 100 percent becuase of the brook. I actually got up to leave becuase I figured I was loosing my mind, but after hearing it again I decided to give it another 15 minutes. I called and then I was 100 percent sure that this was actually a bird and he was getting closer. I thought he was coming up the road I just walked becasue Its the easiest path through all of the red wood brush, but when he got close I realized he was coming from behind me and the other side of the brook. I turned around and while I was setting up, the bird kept gobbling on his own so I knew he was getting antsy. A couple minutes of calling and him gobbling back, I can see a red and white head moving through the bush, coming right to me. He got to 45 yards and started strutting a gobbling in the open. I was going to shoot then, but he looked like he was going to come more so I waited. He came another 10 yards and started struttung and gobbling on top of a stone wall. I couldnt take it anymore and took the shot when I had it. He dropped like a rock and didnt flinch till I picked him up. After last years issue, i ran straight to the bird and didnt let it out of sight until it completely stopped moving. Im pretty sure there were 2 birds, but they were not together. Those 2:45 am wake up calls were going to get really old fast, but now Im motivated for the rest of the season. Pretty sure there were 2 birds, but I cant gurantee that. The other bird sounded further off, but also coming in. It was a perfect end to the hunt and I was home before 1pm. 

Still Havent measured the beard or spurs, but they look to be about 8" and 3/4" . Looks like a soild 2 Year old bird (I would have shot a jake if it showed up to be honest)

Edited by ATbuckhunter
  • Like 23

18 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Okay so heres the story of my bird. Going to be a tad long so I apologise in advance.

Got to my spot at 5am, ate and was at the general area the birds are usually roosted in by 5:22. Heard the first confirmed gobble at 5:30, but a few hundred yards away so I didnt pay much attnetion. I was thinking the birds that are usually with in 100 yards of where I was standing were going to sound off any minute, but they never did. Ive never not had a couple roost in this area for all the years im hunting here. So I made a move on the other tom at 6, but he only gobbled a few times on the roost, and a few times on the ground and shut up. I let out a call and got a response, but I think it was just a good timing and not an actual response to the call I made. I had one other bird tripple gobble behind me about 300 yards or so away, but when I made a move on that bird, it was dead quiet. I did a bunch of running and gunning, but never got a response from any birds.

I decided I was going to go across the road and hunt the guys brothers property. Ive seen birds there the few times Ive walked down there to deer hunt or duck hunt, but Ive never actually had a bird respond. By the time I got down to where I thought the birds would be I was exhasted. Bumped 5 deer bedded 40 yards from where I was sitting and called for about an hour or so before deciding to walk back to the car. I was at a low spot, because I figured my season was already shot, I started making my way to my car and I heard a loudish noise and what I thought was a gobble. I decided to get closer and throw out a call and see. Only problem was the brook thats usually a nice gentle stream is now flowing pretty good and extreemly loud. I called a few times and Thought I was getting a response each time, but I couldnt tell 100 percent becuase of the brook. I actually got up to leave becuase I figured I was loosing my mind, but after hearing it again I decided to give it another 15 minutes. I called and then I was 100 percent sure that this was actually a bird and he was getting closer. I thought he was coming up the road I just walked becasue Its the easiest path through all of the red wood brush, but when he got close I realized he was coming from behind me and the other side of the brook. I turned around and while I was setting up, the bird kept gobbling on his own so I knew he was getting antsy. A couple minutes of calling and him gobbling back, I can see a red and white head moving through the bush, coming right to me. He got to 45 yards and started strutting a gobbling in the open. I was going to shoot then, but he looked like he was going to come more so I waited. He came another 10 yards and started struttung and gobbling on top of a stone wall. I couldnt take it anymore and took the shot when I had it. He dropped like a rock and didnt flinch till I picked him up. After last years issue, i ran straight to the bird and didnt let it out of sight until it completely stopped moving. Im pretty sure there were 2 birds, but they were not together. Those 2:45 am wake up calls were going to get really old fast, but now Im motivated for the rest of the season. Pretty sure there were 2 birds, but I cant gurantee that. The other bird sounded further off, but also coming in. It was a perfect end to the hunt and I was home before 1pm. 

Still Havent measured the beard or spurs, but they look to be about 8" and 3/4" . Looks like a soild 2 Year old bird (I would have shot a jake if it showed up to be honest)

AT, you get my vote for being the most dedicated and successful hunter on this forum coming out of NYC!  Hats off to you man!  Not many around NYC anymore with your type of desire and dedication to our sport.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, steve863 said:

AT, you get my vote for being the most dedicated and successful hunter on this forum coming out of NYC!  Hats off to you man!  Not many around NYC anymore with your type of desire and dedication to our sport.

Haha much appreciated! Unfortunately there are not many left like me down here anymore, but Ill be keeping it alive for as long as im around

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Those are the best hunts when it happens out of the clear blue sky! However, this is absolute nonsense. Every good turkey hunter knows that if you made the call within five minutes on either side of the gobble it was in response to your call. 

• Like 2

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Hell yeah

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

JPastor1759-- Big Chris-- also from Greenwood Lake like you just bought a Wobble Machine for our Clay Pigeon Shooting in Goshen. Let me know if you are interested in shooting Clays. We go on alot of Saturdays.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Belo said:

So last Thursday my dad tells me to come check something out. In the middle of his lawn, not near any bushes or trees is this turkey egg (i believe) embedded in some moss exactly as you can see below. Just like someone plopped it there, but I dont believe this is normal for a hen. We're thinking perhaps a predator dropped it?

any thoughts?

014.thumb.JPG.15772975088d852113734ba9ca0d6c1c.JPG

We have had them just plopped right in our yard...well the landlord's yard. Once right in the goats pen

He also travels quite the distance and often goes the distance (without boozing hard!) to make the GTGs. Good Dude...good outdoorsman from NYC(Queens is close enough!)

• Like 7

4 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Those are the best hunts when it happens out of the clear blue sky! However, this is absolute nonsense. Every good turkey hunter knows that if you made the call within five minutes on either side of the gobble it was in response to your call. 

I think its obvious im not a good turkey hunter lol. Ill take your word that it was a response to my call, you're definitely more expereinced than me. Still have so much to learn, but it sure is fun learning! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jpastor1759 said:

Hell yeah

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, crappyice said:

He also travels quite the distance and often goes the distance (without boozing hard!) to make the GTGs. Good Dude...good outdoorsman from NYC(Queens is close enough!)

Appreciate the kind words guys! Really means a lot to me

• Like 1

You are now our SENY TurkeyFeathers expert

• Like 2

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

14 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Haha sounds good to me!

29 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

You deserve every one of em. You always go the extra mile sir. And are a fine representative of us all.

Hope to catch up with ya on Saratoga Lake this summer!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grampy said:

You deserve every one of em. You always go the extra mile sir. And are a fine representative of us all.

Hope to catch up with ya on Saratoga Lake this summer!

I hope so too! Its a long time coming that we do some fishing together

• Like 1

I spent this morning on the property....Hear and saw NOTHING !  Since I had a few chores to tend to, I pulled the plug at 11:30...

I decided to hunt another property tomorrow, for a change of scenery...

Just as I was pulling out of the gate, three BIG longbeards were crossing the road onto  our property...

I guess I'll be hunting there again tomorrow.... Hehehe....

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I spent this morning on the property....Hear and saw NOTHING !  Since I had a few chores to tend to, I pulled the plug at 11:30...

I decided to hunt another property tomorrow, for a change of scenery...

Just as I was pulling out of the gate, three BIG longbeards were crossing the road onto  our property...

I guess I'll be hunting there again tomorrow.... Hehehe....

Go get em TIGER! 

• Thanks 1

Seconded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg