WNYBuckHunter

Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

Jerkman-- this is funny and no disrespect- but, I learned the (Tree Squat) along with countless others if, I can't make it out in time! A tree without poison ivy is preferred.  Then to Dollar General to buy more Brown Jersey gloves- LOL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Never made it out. Last week our school district had a student pass away and daughter&wife new her. So we let her sleep in today since she had a rough time at the funeral yesterday.  But we are shooting to hunt all next weekend.  Cant tomorrow since its motherday and i have breakfast duty.   Good luck to all going out this weekend and a happy mothers day to all the moms on here.

I heard a good 5 Gobblers this morning. Hunting a different area as well. My Brother in law used to hunt this area before he got hurt on the job and finally got his SSD . He told me where the Tom's roost in this area. Walked in at 4.30am and got to a short Ridge 30 minutes later. I walked in like a Deer. Slow with stops and rolling my foot over Twigs. I got to the end of the Ridge and saw at 15 feet away -- TailFeathers sticking down. I was already mostly behind a big Tree.  The Tom was only 6 Feet up in the Tree! I have seen this twice before and, I will get to that. 2 other Gobblers flew out and he followed.  I almost called him in later and his Gobble  confirmed what, I thought. Like a mouth full of Marbles. The Raspy ,Slow, a Gobble not too loud. This is a Very old Tom. He probably weighs no more then  16 lbs now due to old age.  I am going to try for him tomorrow. That is the Gobbler, I want!

• Like 5

Jerkman-- this is funny and no disrespect- but, I learned the (Tree Squat) along with countless others if, I can't make it out in time! A tree without poison ivy is preferred.  Then to Dollar General to buy more Brown Jersey gloves- LOL.

A must have in every hunters pack
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Campers-Toilet-Paper-Rolls/dp/B000JFTDPE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

So you have a response at about 9 o'clock a decent distance away, 100 plus yards, he gobbles three times, closer each time. Then hes completely silent. I never laid eyes on him as we were in hardwoods. What do you do? Keep calling or be quiet. Help a rookie out lol 

Hope members here enjoy my new Video, I made today- 5/11. Did it on the Fly and, I am a little tired- but it came out well. It is in the Turkey Forum.

22 minutes ago, BigVal said:

So you have a response at about 9 o'clock a decent distance away, 100 plus yards, he gobbles three times, closer each time. Then hes completely silent. I never laid eyes on him as we were in hardwoods. What do you do? Keep calling or be quiet. Help a rookie out lol 

if he was getting closer he cut the distance NOW you as a hen are supposed to go to him. We are reversing nature by trying to call him ALL the way in.  Go silent/he'll continue to come in/scratch leaves in behind you to sound as hen feeding with a soft purr around the side of your leg mixed in

• Like 5

Got one this morning. 19lbs. 6.5" beard. 3/4" spurs. 

45 yards. Only a few series of yelps once he flew down, and he came in looking for me.

Thankful!

0511190639c.jpg

• Like 27

"Stand Your Ground. Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."

Captain John Parker, Lexington 1775

A must have in every hunters pack

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Campers-Toilet-Paper-Rolls/dp/B000JFTDPE

I can’t step in the woods without having to crap, never go anyway without a small baggie of baby wipes. There’s some in both boats some in the truck and in a pocket of every pair of hunting pants I own.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

If I was a doctor, I'd prescribe hunting for constipation.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Water Rat said:

Just tagged out. I was just getting ready to leave when 2 gobblers snuck in. I shot the first one who gave me the best shot. 

I'm scheduled for another knee replacement surgery in a few weeks. To be able to hobble around the woods this year and shoot 2 nice gobblers was one of the most gratifying spring turkey seasons I've had. The tale of the tape from this morning : 19 pounds , 91/2" beard and 1" spurs.

IMG_2750.thumb.JPG.164340dc8b600bd4d2b41b7814830807.JPG

• Like 24

I can’t step in the woods without having to crap, never go anyway without a small baggie of baby wipes. There’s some in both boats some in the truck and in a pocket of every pair of hunting pants I own.

I’m usually good with deer, but with turkey I too am a guarantee. I think I drink more coffee and I KNOW it’s because I’m up and moving more. Which is good, because pooping out of a stand is an art

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

I’m usually good with deer, but with turkey I too am a guarantee. I think I drink more coffee and I KNOW it’s because I’m up and moving more. Which is good, because pooping out of a stand is an art emoji23.png

The climbing harness infringes things for sure 

• Like 1

My toilet paper is like American Express...I never leave home without it...

• Like 3

Went out around 3:30 this afternoon and put a blind in the woods at the bottom of a ridge where those toms came through this morning. Only about 400 yds from the back door.

Gonna shoot him inna face tomorrow morning. :hunter-smiley-face:

• Like 6

I checked my other turkey spot, omg there were a few absolute studs strutting around tonight. Im taking this Thursday off and my son's playing hooky from school so we can go to a 11am red wings game so I think I'll take him with me that morning and see if we can nail one of those birds.

• Like 3

Switching gears to habitat improvements!

9 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

if he was getting closer he cut the distance NOW you as a hen are supposed to go to him. We are reversing nature by trying to call him ALL the way in.  Go silent/he'll continue to come in/scratch leaves in behind you to sound as hen feeding with a soft purr around the side of your leg mixed in

Awesome thanks Jay I can use the help lol

• Like 2

Taking my grandnephew and his buddy out tomorrow.  

His buddy has never hunted. 

I'm super excited to get him hooked.  I'm praying for a classic hunt.  

Nothing better than getting a youth that has no avenue into hunting hooked.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mowin said:

Taking my grandnephew and his buddy out tomorrow.  

His buddy has never hunted. 

I'm super excited to get him hooked.  I'm praying for a classic hunt.  

Nothing better than getting a youth that has no avenue into hunting hooked.  

Hats off to you for giving it a go and hopefully it all comes together.good luck!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

Hats off to you for giving it a go and hopefully it all comes together.good luck!

Thanks. I've seen several toms and jakes in the fields today.  

• Like 1

Dont see any birds where i hunt so dont bother going out.(would give me an excuse to take off work though!)....this rain has been terrible for u guys this season:negative:

We had a great hunt this morning.  I was expecting to get soaked, but we beat the rain. 

About 5:15, we could hear hens all around us. Luckily leaf out is complete, and nothing seen us as we were only 50 yrds from the nearest hen.  After some soft calling, we seen a couple fly down into the field, and finally heard a gobble. 

Took about 3 minutes and we had a jake 15 yrds out.  Kayden made a great shot. 

His buddy has his his safety course, and has asked if I could take him hunting.  I think the bug bit him good.

IMG_20190512_055435905.jpg

• Like 27