WNYBuckHunter

Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

3 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

It's early yet, John....Good idea to take the strutter down if the birds seemed tentative..I have had very good luck in recent years with a strutter, but now and then a bird will spook from one, or just shy away from it...

It definitely seemed like they shyed away from it. 

John and Haley you've had an exciting morning so far! Those gobblers know where ya are. From the sweet hen sounds they heard. Once the hens with them are taken care of, they will come looking for you. Hang in there!

Sending all my luck! Go team Haley!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I’m not sure what they didn’t like. We were trying a new strutting decoy Haley got. First time using one like that. After the birds left I took It down. 

Rid the decoy, call them over. Good luck!

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

It definitely seemed like they shyed away from it. 

You two in a ground blind?

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

2 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I’m not sure what they didn’t like. We were trying a new strutting decoy Haley got. First time using one like that. After the birds left I took It down. 

Don't give up on that decoy just yet.  Some gobbler yelps may have closed the deal for you.  Especially if the hens were being drawn towards your setup, one or all of those gobblers may have come in to fend off the new guy.   

Just a tip/suggestion that may help you next time you have a similar situation.  

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

We ended up having a fun morning, but no dead birds for youth season this year, as we won’t be able to go out tomorrow. We will be back out for regular season. Lots of time left to get it done. 

• Like 8

No yutes and mentors out there this morning ?  I heard the turkeys spill copious amounts of chocolate and jellybeans if shot today. 

Went for a ride this morning around 6:30. Didn't see a single car or truck parked along the back roads.  Seen tons of birds and deer though. 

I did have a friend and his grandson here yesterday and today.  They got a nice Tom, 20#’s, 1 1/4 inch spurs, 9 1/2 inch beard.  Very nice first bird for him!  

(I have a pic but won’t post here without their permission) 

• Like 10

I did have a friend and his grandson here yesterday and today.  They got a nice Tom, 20#’s, 1 1/4 inch spurs, 9 1/2 inch beard.  Very nice first bird for him!  

That’s awesome! And good on ya’ for hosting them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

51 minutes ago, Otto said:

That's fantastic.  Opening your land to a youth is outstanding. :drinks:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mowin said:

That's fantastic.  Opening your land to a youth is outstanding. :drinks:

Well, I got 2 as of fresh homemade maple syrup in exchange, so “GOOD TRADE”

• Like 2

30th Spring for me Today in NJ. No Gobbling in my first State Park area. Gave that area a solid Hour. Used 4 calls.No Response. Now at my 2nd NJ State Park waiting for the Gates to be unlocked at 8am or before. Coffee and a Cat Nap until Park officials unlock that gate.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2019 at 7:21 AM, ODYSSEUS said:

30th Spring for me Today in NJ. No Gobbling in my first State Park area. Gave that area a solid Hour. Used 4 calls.No Response. Now at my 2nd NJ State Park waiting for the Gates to be unlocked at 8am or before. Coffee and a Cat Nap until Park officials unlock that gate.

Keep us posted Bill.

Not a good start for me in New Jersey. 4 Days hunting so far.  I have heard just 1 Gobble in 4 days. That was today at 5.48am. One Gobble and done. Today was my most enjoyable morning so far though. Had a nice  Talk with Tom- a Turkey Hunter who parked next to me. He has not heard any Gobbling either. And , I also had a nice Talk with a Mountain Biker at 6.45am in the middle of the Woods on a Trail. They get out very early too! I might not cut a Feather this Spring at this rate- LOL! :this: