WNYBuckHunter

Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

50 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

There is a logical explanation to that phenomena, Stormy....Turkeys and deer are actually the same species, known as " DEERKEYS"

During deer season they look like turkeys, and during turkey season they look like deer...

It may sound kind of far fetched, but would I lie to you ??

By the way, the check is in the mail...

Maybe I should duck tape my shotgun with bird shot  to my deer rifle this way no matter what comes out I'm  ready for it if it is  in season  lol :taunt:

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Decided to head down to where I killed my bird last week and saw all that sign but not one confirmed gobble on the roost. A little surprising, but I’ve never been down here at this time so maybe it makes sense. All the old sign has probably been washed away, but I’m thinking this is still a good spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In little valley, set up on a field were they usually come to by 7? We'll see!

IMG_20190516_060724715.jpg

• Like 4

Hunt when I can.. ;)

Shoot straight

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

Foggy morning and got in later than I would have liked, so I setup in a different spot so not to bust them off the roost.

Currently have what sounds like 2 birds hung up in the distance. Trying to play it cool with subtle calls...

• Like 1

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

Foggy morning and got in later than I would have liked, so I setup in a different spot so not to bust them off the roost.

Currently have what sounds like 2 birds hung up in the distance. Trying to play it cool with subtle calls...

Stop calling for thirty minutes.......hard to do but it’s guaranteed to work or your money back. 

• Like 2

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

Stop calling for thirty minutes.......hard to do but it’s guaranteed to work or your money back. 

I have. The birds have shut up and the fog rolled into the field.

There is a big ass puddle here and I have ducks that won’t shut up now. Haha

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

I have. The birds have shut up and the fog rolled into the field.

There is a big ass puddle here and I have ducks that won’t shut up now. Haha

He’s coming.....

Just played with a bird that gobbled to every call I made. He even gobbled 7 times in a row with out me calling. Figured he was going to come in for sure, but he went silent and vanished. Only thing I can think is I took off my hearing protection to hear just how close he was and maybe I spooked him. It didn’t sound like he was getting closer, but who knows

Good wildlife spotting on my way to work today. Saw toms and hens in a dozen fields, hit the brakes three times for deer in the road, had a fox dart across the road in front of me and saw an bald eagle perched in a tree. Wildlife activity much more than the last week or two. Must be peak activity time. According to the solunar tables, the next major period begins in two hours. 

Good luck ATBuckhunter, Belo, 2012Taco, and anyone else out today! I'll rejoin the ranks of the covert turkey army Saturday unless I come down with a mysterious ailment or something tonight. Cough, cough.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 2

Well I had about an hour of silence. Then a loud gobble rings out in the hardwoods directly to the east.

I wait and see a shadowy figure move through and then disappear. I give a couple soft clucks and nothing. Then a crow buzzed over head and I get a good shock gobble. He’s closer and also positioned to come out of the opening in the stone wall right where my 2 hens and jake are positioned.

Silence again. I give a soft yelp. Nothing. Another few minutes go by and I give a soft cluck. Then he appears right where I wanted him too. I am brushed in real well, full ghile suit and mask sitting behind a mad max blind/rest with gun ready.

I haven’t got my boy in the woods yet, and only 1 tag left so I told myself going in I’m just taking toms at under 30. This shot is 35 and his neck is extended and any other day I’m taking it. He’s not staring at me, but I’m in his fov. It’s clear he’s checking the spot out before he commits and this is where I learned my lesson. I slowly lower my head to look through my site and his neck goes up. Shit. Then quickly down and he heads briskly back to where he came from. And puts... and we all know what that means.

I’m not mad, but kicking myself a little. About 20 minutes after that I had him or another bird come from the north. All I saw was a bright red head at 60 yards before he changed his mind.

There’s a decent pop of birds here and I still have gobbling off to the east so I’m gonna hold tight.

• Like 5

-Aldo Leopold 

Good luck Belo...……….sounds like your having fun. That's what it's all about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was seen yesterday Belo.Gobbler walked off. In today for a few hours before leaving for the day. Nice bright day. 52 degrees with no wind. No Gobbling today. Just about all Hens are now Sitting on their nests.      My 20th day out in the Spring Turkey Woods. 

Holy crap what a spring for me. Even bigger than my last one. First time in ever tagged out in the spring. I’ll post the full story when i get home IMG_9094.jpg

• Like 27

12 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Holy crap what a spring for me. Even bigger than my last one. First time in ever tagged out in the spring. I’ll post the full story when i get home IMG_9094.jpg

Congrats AT!!!

• Like 1

Sorry I couldn’t clear “ quote” or type in the above .
Anyway just got set up a bit ago, this better be worth me getting up at 7:30 AM !
B537CF9A-E586-442E-93CB-DE09563314D9.thumb.png.ab800be789ea85e648671e6fafddd44c.png
Love me some 870 action! Sadly I think I only have till around 745 maybe 8 if I hustle on Saturday. The future Mrs. Jerkman scheduled us for a registry event at crate and barrel that starts at 9am Saturday. Fingers crossed can slam a bird early and then the weather is decent to slam another Sunday. Hell I just hope I shoot a single one this weekend since I'm stuck at my sister's graduation from Cornell next weekend

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Holy crap what a spring for me. Even bigger than my last one. First time in ever tagged out in the spring. I’ll post the full story when i get home IMG_9094.thumb.jpg.e57cf5604a6809dbafd7e7b1d0e787f5.jpg

Nicely done sir!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My daughters 870, I sold my Mossberg 835 and some other shotguns , leaving me only with this for Turkey .

Have not been out in years , not my thing , nice morning though .

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

This NYC boy is showing you country boy's how to get it done!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Awesome bird. Congratulations.

• Like 1

ATBuckhunter - great Season!! 2 Longbeards! Ol Odysseus might not Cut a Feather this Spring. Half the month to go. Stay in the Game People.

• Like 1

Only had 1 gobble 2x to the crows first thing. I walked right up till noon, never heard another bird. Hopefully I'll get back out on Saturday?

Hunt when I can.. ;)

Going to be another long one, so apologies again

Got to my spot at 4:55 today after only getting 2 hours of sleep, so i spent a little time in my car eating my breakfast. Got to the spot i killed the bird last week at 5:15 and didnt hear a single confirmed gobble on the roost. Thought I might have heard a few, but the creek was up again so I couldnt tell for sure. Sent out a couple calls with no response so I decided to walk back to my car to drop of my jacket and go to my ground blind. On my way to the blind I stopped in an area they usually roost to check for any sign. Before i started looking, I said what the hell and sent out a few yelps. Immediately got a response right where my blind is. I snuck as close as I could and he was non stop gobbling with out me even calling. I counted at least 7 in maybe 10-15 seconds time. Figured this bird was hot and I was going to get a crack at him. He must have only been 60-70 yards, but I was down in another creek bottom so I couldnt see him. I wear hearing protection when I hunt and it amplifies it. Usually not a problem, but it made it seem like he was right on top of me when I thought he wasnt so i moved them a bit so I can hear how far he really is. I guess he was that close because as soon as I did that, the gobbles stopped. I gave it an hour and tried looping around to where I thought it ran and nothing. I was half dissapointed and half excited for the expereince.

I was all set to go to my ground blind until 12, but i decided around 8 to give it another shot where I shot that bird last week. Before I got to the spot, i decided to throw out a call just in case.  What do you know I got a reponse from a bird about 150-200 yards away. I wish I could have seen the look on my face when I heard that gobble. I thought that this couldnt be happening to me since im not a good turkey hunter. I cut in as close as I could, but it got so thick I just sat down and started calling. It didnt sound like he was getting any closer so I decided to swing around to get in a better position. Half way to where I wanted to be I hear him gobble much closer. Actually right where I shot the bird last week, which I thought I was funny. I scrambled to find a good tree next to the small 1 acre clearing i was standing in. I sat down, called a couple times and was cut off. I called again just to make sure I wasnt going crazy and I heard nothing so i knew he was coming in. I put the call down, and not 10 seconds I see him in the middle of the field strutting. I dont like shooting strutting birds, so I waited for him to stop. I couldnt make any noises with my mouth becuase I had so much adrenaline pumping. Well he wouldnt stop strutting, spitting and drumming till he got to 15 yards. At that point he was to my left and I had to wait til he got behind a big oak to move. He must have knew something was up, because he just stuck his head out behind the tree, but it was enough for me to get it done. No pellets in his breasts for sure.

I have to say, I really am addicted to turkey hunting. Deer hunting will always be number 1 for me, but this is a very close second. so far ive called in 3 birds that I know of and took 2...my best season ever. Now Ill be calling for some friends and maybe if im lucky ill convince my father to actually go out hunting again. Really didnt think id be able to get a second bird, but guess i had a little bit of luck on my side. 

Weighed 19 pounds 1 1/4 spurs and a 10" beard. I want to say its 3-4 years old. Trophy bird in my opinion. Also this is what my pants looked like with that bird on my back. I need to buy or make some kind of turkey tote lol. 

IMG_9240.JPG

IMG_9242.JPG

IMG_9243.PNG

IMG_9245.PNG

• Like 17