Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

Not live but.. this morning i doubled up on 2 longbeards with my step son!! A hunt i will never forget.. one of my favorites for the memory books.. ill have the story tomorrow when i have time.. what a day!065e985241111c539b8d1c8c457c04d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That’s awesome! Congrats!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Not live but.. this morning i doubled up on 2 longbeards with my step son!! A hunt i will never forget.. one of my favorites for the memory books.. ill have the story tomorrow when i have time.. what a day!065e985241111c539b8d1c8c457c04d1.jpg

Absolutely awesome ! Guess your handloads of tss work. Can’t wait to read the story 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Pic of the year!  awesome 

• Like 2

I was able to convince my father to go out today and not a gobble yet. Were Hunting my best deer spot to try something different. This area is loaded with birds in the fall, but for some reason it’s hit or miss in the spring. Some huge gobblers around here though. Probably going to be the only time I can convince him to go out though.

Had a young buck at 15 yards for 20 minutes and I’m currently watch g a rabbit from my car. I decided to go around scouting for deer spots this fall and I found a few really nice spots. I’m already excited for this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Not live but.. this morning i doubled up on 2 longbeards with my step son!! A hunt i will never forget.. one of my favorites for the memory books.. ill have the story tomorrow when i have time.. what a day!

that right there is what it's all about. Congrats!

• Like 1

Out for the first time with my stepson Cole, in about 5 or 6 years when he tagged along once.. 

In all reality, it was a quiet and quite slow morning. Nothing was talking. It was breezy, so we got down on a hillside out of the wind before daybreak to try and listen. Coyote pups lit up the woods around 6am, i believe answering the sound of hen yelps and cuts coming from the crystal pot call.. They loved it lol.. They were going nuts down where I was anticipating some quiet birds to be roosted.. It was fun to listen to.. A hen came out of that roost site but nothing else, we gave it time and talked back and forth(which Cole loved hearing). We got up after she slipped out of view, went and checked a plowed field about 1/4mi away where I had high hopes they would be. Got there, called nothing, checked, nothing, Waited a bit and listened, nothing.. Waited longer for the sun to rise up and shine on the field, Nothing. I couldn't believe it. 3rd or 4th time out and its been dead all around this area.. Im beginning to think redhead numbers are low .. Around 730am We decide to go back and get in the car and go try the property I hunted Sunday, On our way there, I break out of our Seasonal rd to the maintained dirt rd and instantly notice the field off in the distance is plowed and we can hunt it.. I knew instantly it would attract some Turks.. And its on the opposite side of a well known roost site on a neighboring property. So we drove around it and Walah.. Almost all the way on the furthest side from any woods, are 3 red heads and 4 hens.. We pass them a few times to check their moods and direction.. They didnt move a step or even stick their heads up.. So we drive around them and park to get setup on them.. I've Seen them do this time and time again on where they go in this area.. We get setup perfectly and a vehicle drives by and stops and watches and turns around, sending them across the rd. I hit the call once, and one bird gobbled, at this point i figure they may have busted up slightly. I hit it once more and nothing.. We tried to see where they were in the field across the rd but couldn't see. I told Cole, that they will be back right here to this exact spot sooner or later that morning, and that it'd be a good idea to stay here. He didn't believe me, plus he was hungry  and had eaten all his snacks already lol. So he wanted food and that's where we were heading, to the gas station. We get back to the car, and drive the long way out to see if we can find these birds.. No luck. As w edrive down the hill I said to him, I bet they crossed the rd back over already or are close to the rd in the thick stuff ready to cross.. We did a u turn a little further down and drove back around.. BOOM, there they are, right where I had last called.. All we can see is the 2 Toms.. I looked at him and said I told ya lol, He quickly responded back, my stomach can wait, lets go after them. Lol. Music to my ears!! YES! He melted my heart with those words lol.. So we drive down to get around them.. Get setup actually got them to answer only a few times but they were right where we last saw them.. but closer to a field corner. With the winds beginning to pick up,  we got up and re set up closer this time.. made a call nothing, made another, nothing and one last one before my silence.. we waited maybe 20 minutes or so.. nothing. I told him I didn't like the setup lets move again, Then it hit me, they arent going to leave the dirt field.. its too windy to be around trees and cover.. plus there fresh dirt. So we go to check the field to try and find them.. we carefully bump a hen in the most perfect direction and no other birds, all I could think was this could be perfect. We slowly crept to a knoll in the field and BAM there is 3 red heads less than 100 yards. We get down belly crawl back and tuck are legs under the brush.. drop our vests and wait a moment, I let out some soft yelps and clucks like a hen poking around.. they barely even turn to look, no interest, I scratched the leaves, continue on occasion a soft yelp with some clucks etc.. they end up getting to about 50yrds following the 4 hens that were with them that we weren't aware of.. but not coming any closer.. With shots straight into the strong wind I wouldn't do it, or let him attempt. He was a little bummed, I looked to him and said it aint over yet.. Around 11am the wind really picked up which we used to our advantage,  Around 1130am The birds started slowly drifting away from the 50 yard position they were holding to a corner, I said its now or never the wind is perfect lets try and cut them off and wait them out.. We did, dropped back, circles around them in came in, got right into a corner and patiently waited in the prone positions, I scratched the leaves under the brush instead of calling. The hens worked across the corner at an angle, just about at the guns limit.. but the toms came right to the corner, they get to about 35 yards and stop and begin to strut(can actually only see one at this time). I'm guessing they heard the leaves scratching since the wind was in there favor at this point.. I told him I couldn't see the 2nd LB, just the one, neither could he.. I had him slide over to the left and peek to try and find #2.. nothing. I then looked at the phone, it was 1145am.. I said slide back over here and drop the hammer on this bird(the grass was perfect height for belly crawls today.. he slides back to me and begins to take the safety off and says there's the 2nd one.. They were strutting in the most perfect line side by side, he was hidden completely behind the first. I looked at him and said lets do this, off with both safety's, I gave them an ugly sounding cut, and another worse sounding cut, followed by a 3rd, eventually after what seemed like forever, they finally turned to where both heads were visible. Counted to 3 and hammers were dropped simultaneously.. Birds hit the ground and never even flopped. That Tungsten hits like a brick! And the cerebration began..  To say I was happy is an understatement, I'm still grinning today from the joys and memories made yesterday. And so was he, What an incredible day..  Besides my first bird with my Dad, this hunt was top of the all time favorite list.. 

Both had a 10" rope and 1" pointy curved spurs .. 1 bird had a club foot with half a toe

Sorry for the long drawn out story.. It was a day I had been waiting for, for a very long time! 

I also believe these are the 2 birds I missed 2 weeks ago, since they had the same amount of hens with them and the 1 lone Jake.. both days

20190521_121434.jpg

20190521_122859.jpg

20190522_065335.jpg

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 25

10 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

Not live from the turkey woods but it was live from my turkey back yard!

https://youtu.be/AZel8ZplIFg

The hen has laid 13 eggs and started sitting on the nest most of today! I'm not sure if she is sitting on the nest over night as I don't want to disturb her. I will check the camera tomorrow when I'm sure she is up and feeding. 

If everything goes well, you should have a new family in about 28 days...Once she hatches them, they'll be gone quickly..They don't hang around the nest area long, once the peeps are hatched...Generally they will all hatch within a 24 hour period...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

If everything goes well, you should have a new family in about 28 days...Once she hatches them, they'll be gone quickly..They don't hang around the nest area long, once the peeps are hatched...Generally they will all hatch within a 24 hour period...

that would be cool on a video or time delayed pics.

Nothing until about 630 and a gobbler would continue to gobble until 830 never moving.  At 9 another one gobbled twice. Neither bird were responding to calls. Walking out at ten almost to truck hear one gobble. I set up along a field quickly and two hens are feeding in field. My brother set up facing woods. This bird was thirty yards from my brother but foliage was too thick he couldn't even see bird. It was crazy I could see bird but wasn't a safe shot. Bird seemed to move off a bit so i told brother keep him gobbling I'll loop around him.  I creep up this ridge and the whole time he is gobbling his head off. Just as I Crest the top of ridge gun with gun up I see him and put red dot on and put putt gone. One more second would of had him. Crazy fun though

• Like 8