WNYBuckHunter

Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

I heard over 20 Gobblers today. All on the other side of ( The River). Like, I always do when hunting around that area. Never in 12 years have, I heard a Shot over there. It is good to hear them though. Sometimes my calling will have 1 or 2 Toms fly that River to my side before the next morning. That is when, I nail them.

• Like 3

Had two gobblers interested this morning then they eventually lost interest and went back the way they came. Never saw them only heard them get closer and closer. Did manage to end my 16th or 17th season with a nice skunking for the season. But I did manage to catch a little shit feasting on my arm. Now I am sitting in the urgent Care to take out his head that he decided to leave me as a present when I pulled it off along with hopefully a course of antibiotics so I don't catch Lyme. NY really needs to fix the turkey season. It's too short and too late in the year. It's really a shame

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hope you don't get Lyme Jerkman--. I had it. Cleaning the yard in June some years back. I too would like to see a slightly earlier Spring  Turkey start. Start on the last Saturday in April and end on  Memorial day Monday. Breeding starts earlier then people think. May 1st-- 31st is set in stone forever though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Thanks, Jay...Now and then even a blind hog finds an acorn...This is only the second timed since I have been hunting Canada ( about 20 years) that I have tagged out there and in NY the same year..  Now I gotta go home and cut grass...<<sigh>>...

Go fishing!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

I heard over 20 Gobblers today. All on the other side of ( The River). Like, I always do when hunting around that area. Never in 12 years have, I heard a Shot over there. It is good to hear them though. Sometimes my calling will have 1 or 2 Toms fly that River to my side before the next morning. That is when, I nail them.

I once hunted a area that had a creek separating the property's.  Little before roost time I'd set up and call like mad.  I'd cut, cackle and just make a crap load of horny hen calls. Every once in a while, one would fly over to my side before roosting, and roost on my side.

One time I had to lay prone in a field because a tom came over to my side and was quite eager to meet his new girlfriend.  It was so dark, I could barely see him strutting 30 yrds away.

Next morning it took one series of ckucks once it reached legal shooting time.  

• Like 3

Same here. Anytime, I do plenty of Cutting  in the morning, I will have a player in the morning on my side. Maybe tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Same here. Anytime, I do plenty of Cutting  in the morning, I will have a player in the morning on my side. Maybe tomorrow morning.

Good luck.   I'm seeing a lot of lone gobblers in the fields around 9AM.

Took my 3 year old out today. we had a blast. Saw 6 deer and two turkeys on the drive there. Walking in we saw five deer.  Got set up in the blind at 915. Shortly after we saw a huge raccoon. 

After an hour a hen came in real close and decided to attack my decoy.  All my son kept saying was wow over and over.

Not too long after a thunder storm rolled in and that's when the gobblers cut loose. I figured there were 3 total. 2 seemed like they were Jake's the way they were gobbling. They had hens as one would not stop yelping. I tried to cut her off and no dice. She had ten to twelve note yelps it was crazy. 

We made it 2 hrs 40 minutes and I was impressed.  The action definitely kept him interested. 

20190519_090755.thumb.jpg.56bff562e5d3ae5cad847da0d3a52f0d.jpg

20190519_092305.thumb.jpg.5855f1daed68607dc5daabd0f3ccf960.jpg

20190519_104830.thumb.jpg.09f37b7d4266044290f51e9916d878a6.jpg20190519_104959.thumb.jpg.df346e79f9542d7faf54cc5c24dbe754.jpg

• Like 6

Way to go Kevin......you knocked it out of the park today for junior.  Thank goodness you got some pics.  Print them and stash them; 30, 40 and 50 years from now he (and you) will get a real kick out of them.

• Thanks 1

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

Way to go Kevin......you knocked it out of the park today for junior.  Thank goodness you got some pics.  Print them and stash them; 30, 40 and 50 years from now he (and you) will get a real kick out of them.

We had so much fun . At one point the gobbling got close I promised him ice cream if he sat still.  Will held up his end even though the birds didn't. 20190519_130922.thumb.jpg.d0c23347943f2c8225ae3e1cde727303.jpg

Note chocolate ice cream all over face.  He crashed hard after hunt at least he stayed awake while hunting. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, kpkot said:

We had so much fun . At one point the gobbling got close I promised him ice cream if he sat still.  Will held up his end even though the birds didn't. 20190519_130922.thumb.jpg.d0c23347943f2c8225ae3e1cde727303.jpg

Note chocolate ice cream all over face.  He crashed hard after hunt at least he stayed awake while hunting. 

Memories you'll never forget.   Probably the best tasting ice cream he's had to date.  

• Like 3