Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

Made a quick run to a spot near the house.  Had a gobble from a long ways off.  Two toms appeared in a big field on the other side of a dirt road.  They made a beeline for my yelps, but a caravan of traffic backed them off the road.  Then the rain started and they ducked into the softwoods.  I can accept the traffic, but not the shoddy forecasting by the weatherman.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 12:14 PM, Imjus4u2nv said:

Thanks for the feedback!

Nothing this morning but made an mistake - no bug spray (need to buy a thermacell), had to go back to the truck after 30 minutes of getting alive, figured no way a Turkey would come in with me swatting bugs. Soaked myself in big spray which I am guessing didnt help the hunt but was dead quiet. Hopefully back at it tomorrow morning.

smells wont affect your turkey hunt, but yeah a thermacell is a great investment. 

On 5/26/2019 at 9:03 PM, Lawdwaz said:

I'm sure some have thrown in the towel but many others have things at home to do and family time to tend to. 

For those that have to travel for a gobbler hunt the early rising time and drive takes a toll on the REMAINDER of the day after getting home from the hunt. 

Not to mention the black flies, mosquitoes, ticks and what ever biting SOB you can find...... :)

yep I pretty much need a nap. And I don't really feel guilty about it as I've been up since 4, and what I chose to do that day was to hunt turkey, so I'm really just swapping my sleeping time with activity time. Problem I have is when the sun is shining and I know I have so much stuff to do that my mind wont let me rest. 

I’m beyond soaked.  Just got to car. Couple gobbles on roost and couple on ground.  I heard 100% a peacock again today. Daughter and I heard other day too. Giant block of woods so it’s gotta be an escapee from somewhere. At least I called in that hen   Time to get home and dry gear. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’m beyond soaked.  Just got to car. Couple gobbles on roost and couple on ground.  I heard 100% a peacock again today. Daughter and I heard other day too. Giant block of woods so it’s gotta be an escapee from somewhere. At least I called in that hen   Time to get home and dry gear. 

Get a peacock call, and video yourself calling in that thing.  Lol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

so last sunday I was able to get a hen into the middle of a field, annoyed at me acting like a hen. She yelped and clucked a little... but what was disconcerting to me, is that even a real hen couldn't get a gobble. what do you all think about this?

I have seen that MANY, MANY times.....If a  gobbler is tending hens, he has no reason to gobble....

• Thanks 1

made it out for a couple hours on Saturday. Didn't see or hear anything.  Checking some field scan mode cams to see if any small flocks are around. My only means to scout i've been so busy.  Farm is real quiet this year per other hunters.

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

still a bad sign that he's preoccupied though right?

Yes, but many times, for reasons known ONLY to the gobbler, he just AIN't in the mood.... I have never been able to figure out why on one day  NOTHING is gobbling, and the next day, in the same spot, every gobbler in the woods wants to commit suicide..

You just have to be lucky enough to be there when they want to co-operate...The hot days are certainly more rare than the quiet days, with most days being somewhere in between the two extremes..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Get a peacock call, and video yourself calling in that thing.  Lol

Upon texting the landowner and a kpkot as he knows area I’m in. Confirmed farm mile and change we pass that has many types of fowl. Escapee for sure. I’ve got a trail cam out.  But yes a peacock in full strut would be way too funny 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Upon texting the landowner and a kpkot as he knows area I’m in. Confirmed farm mile and change we pass that has many types of fowl. Escapee for sure. I’ve got a trail cam out.  But yes a peacock in full strut would be way too funny 

Wear your bunny suit when you do.  Might as well do it right.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In my travels yesterday, I recorded another showing of two big toms traveling together walking where farmers have managed to a least get in and plow. These are really nice turkey that I have been seeing the last two weeks, on and off. I snicker and laugh as I drive by them. No GPS replies, thank you, LOL.

I don't remember ever seeing two toms, of this large size traveling together like this before. Any ideas.

1 minute ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

In my travels yesterday, I recorded another showing of two big toms traveling together walking where farmers have managed to a least get in and plow. These are really nice turkey that I have been seeing the last two weeks, on and off. I snicker and laugh as I drive by them. No GPS replies, thank you, LOL.

I don't remember ever seeing two toms, of this large size traveling together like this before. Any ideas.

as  more and more hens nest late morning toms seem to pair up around here. usually a younger long beard and an old boss bird. see it often hear. had a pair on posted land right behind the house this year. early mornings they seem to be split up.

• Like 1

there is a monster Tom 4 minutes from my office and he is out in a field with two hens every single day, all day.  Everytime i drive by there he is out in full strut and he is a beauty.........and ....... he is surrounded by houses and a thin treeline and no way anyone could hunt him there.  Smart fella! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

as  more and more hens nest late morning toms seem to pair up around here. usually a younger long beard and an old boss bird. see it often hear. had a pair on posted land right behind the house this year. early mornings they seem to be split up.

I see these two birds together, in the mornings and evenings, quite often. They both look like really big toms.

• Like 1