Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

35 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Range work yesterday. Thanks Treeguy. Upper left daughters youth 20 with TSS 6’s Upper right my 12 with 2 oz of 5’s XRs. Bottom is mine after adjustments. 35 yards a4fbc88c718f28d2a142619fbd2ca8cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that the ideal pattern for turkey? 

Is that the ideal pattern for turkey? 

The top left one from the 20ga is about as good as it gets for a hunting pattern. His 12ga is too tight of a pattern for me but it is a killing pattern for sure.

The goal with any pattern is an even tight pattern. The 10” circle at what ever distance you decide is your max should have a nice even pattern without any holes in the pattern. What an acceptable pattern is has changed. 20 years ago when I was getting in the game the gold standard was 10 bb’s in the head and neck target at your max range. Now if you there are guys shooting patterns with over 10X’s that at 50yds+. Turkeys ain’t hard to kill, it really only takes 1 pellet to the right spot to kill one.

• Like 1

Wife texted me that a tom was gobbling around 1130 on our HOA land. I think it was the tom I roosted last night. Hopefully he hangs around two more days looking for love.

If anything it is incentive to hang around a bit even if the morning starts out quiet. Maybe changing my plan up a bit for the opener.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Did some long range scouting this evening.  Heard several gobblers on roost.  Two in the area I plan on hunting, and 4 or more across the road where my cousin is going to hunt. 

Tomorrow if I have time and the weather holds, I'll go sit and see if I can pinpoint Tommy's exact location. 

• Like 1

Let the dogs out at 5:55.  Birds gobbling across the road.  1 bird gobbling on this side, but in the sanctuary behind the neighbor's house.  4 deer in the hay field in front of my house.  Nice morning.  Updated weather for tomorrow looks ok for central Vermont.  Will head over late afternoon/evening and do some looking.  Bring my brother a pickup load of wood for his shop.

Quick 2 Hour NJ hunt from 5.26am to 7.30am this morning. Rain stopped and very Foggy.  Loud Cutting and Yelping on a Double Glass Pot. I only heard some far off Crows and a Woodpecker. No Gobbles. 6 Days in NJ so far and just 1 Gobble heard. Hoping for some Luck in NY after 6 Shut out mornings in NJ. Starting  Tomorrow, I will have to wear 3 Back Tags as, I can just take both sides of the Border now. I will look like a  Christmas Tree!. NY + NJ Back tag and  Zone + Time period permit for NJ.

Think they’re late on breeding? Or just no birds?

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Think they’re late on breeding? Or just no birds?

I’m still hearing of winter flocks not broken up yet. If toms have a harem no need to get vocal for more. Sucks trying to compete with henned up and tight lipped birds. Catch one on the right day is all we need though. 

• Like 1

Cousin and I attended to roost some gobblers tonight.  He heard 2 gobbles in the next county, and I heard 1 in the next state.   

Hopefully tomorrow morning will be better. 

Good luck everyone, and stay safe.