One of a kind buck...

WNY Bowhunter

On 3/18/2019 at 9:19 AM, moog5050 said:

It was a funny morning.  Brad saw him first and described him (with a few expletives included for passing him) but I didn't really understand until I walked up on him - FREAK.  And I do think its a world class 4pt if there is such a thing.  DEC wanted to age him so we may have some idea soon, but he certainly was not a youngster.

the group takes enough good ones i'm surprised you don't send teeth in to DeerAge or Matson's lab. some at DEC are good at replacement and wear but many others not so much. you can't be unless you back check what you're doing somehow.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

the group takes enough good ones i'm surprised you don't send teeth in to DeerAge or Matson's lab. some at DEC are good at replacement and wear but many others not so much. you can't be unless you back check what you're doing somehow.

We basically age bucks by general body characteristics like most hunters, or we have a few that we have had history with.  But honestly, I am not sure any of us really care that much.  The jaw bone of my best buck has sat in my basement I think for 3 years and I am not 100% certain I could even find it.  Whether that 4pt is 10 or 3-4yrs, its still the same cool buck and it ain't getting any older.  If we did care, I agree Dan that a lab would be the best option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

We basically age bucks by general body characteristics like most hunters, or we have a few that we have had history with.  But honestly, I am not sure any of us really care that much.  The jaw bone of my best buck has sat in my basement I think for 3 years and I am not 100% certain I could even find it.  Whether that 4pt is 10 or 3-4yrs, its still the same cool buck and it ain't getting any older.  If we did care, I agree Dan that a lab would be the best option.

myself included have shot some weird deer that didn't fit the typical mold. just another piece of info that tells the story of something you might not ever come across again. with doing what Culver does we often get asked how old. so knowing people are going to ask we should probably know. you can get the info and not use it but you can't get it later. like i said i figured there was enough interest there i thought you might be doing that.

• Like 1

We researched it after the ground check. Hard to find many 4 pts anywhere that big. Seen one that might be roughly same score but it was a main frame 6 without brows. We joke that he may have shot a world class 4 pt but it's likely true.

Check out Bowsite forum they have some cool threads on big 4’s and big 6’s. Wacky stuff out there. If I remember right, someone posted a 28” wide 4pt whitetail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk