ADK Mt Club, Genesee Valley Chapter, Outdoor Expo in Pittsford 6/8/19

goosifer

The Genesee Valley Chapter of the Adirondack Mountain Club is hosting an Outdoor Expo on June 8, 2019 at Mendon Ponds Park in Pittsford, NY link

Info at this point is sparse, but you can get a good idea on the workshops to be offered by looking at the 2018 ones. link

I am thinking about joining the club and attending the expo. Would anyone have any experience or comments on either the club or the expo? Thanks.

OK group that does a lot of good in the ADK's and through the branches. They are paying for much of the professional trail crews to do up keep and new work as the State only does drops of materials (46'ers also supply many volunteer hours and supply regular maintenance for trails/lean-tos, I know many volunteers in both groups ).

Downside IMO is they don't like hunting and fishing(even though some of their members hunt and fish), and always oppose legislation that has any benefit to that segment of outdoor user. 

One thing I fear is the State will start to charge for a hiking trail pass now that use has exceeded ability to preserve many areas.

Once the hikers start paying they will demand equal time at the table, they are more organised and have more political pull then hunting and fishing groups ever will.....and we're done. Couple popular bears have been taken in the high peaks area, and they are waiting for the opportunity to shut down large areas for hunting; and that will get discussed as new areas come about for use.

Personally the automatic stance against anything hunting stops me from being a member. I'm sure they don't care. LOL