My new turkey whacker

Buckmaster7600

Yesterday I stumbled on one of these used and in black in a local Shop, have a new one in camo on the way and have a full size stock and rail on he way as well. They list it at 5lbs and it weighed 4.67lbs on their postage scale so with the full stock and a Rmr I should still be under 5lbs and at 35” overall it’s it should be a dandy run and gun rig for the mountain birds I’ve been chasing the last few years. 3b5c179839466f715b656e9aef449566.jpgc22121b02d6cc038eaa477c2711f7a22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Barrel Length 18 1/2".   I would never go under 22" and prefer 24". Luck with it.

Different strokes for different folks. No such thing as one size fits all.

I'm looking for something shorter and lighter too.

Nice pick up Buckmaster7600! Should be perfect for your style of hunting!

• Like 2

Barrel Length 18 1/2".   I would never go under 22" and prefer 24". Luck with it.

That seems to be the popular length but I don’t know why? I’ve yet to find an advantage, in rifles there is the added velocity but from my testing that’s not the case with shotguns. I wanted 18.5” barrel and had a heck of a time finding one that is tapped for removable chokes.

• Like 1

OK- some hunters-- not all of course might have a Tendency to Shoot high on a Short Sight Plane. Head down tight though and no problem.

Although I don’t understand your theory on “shooting high with a short sight plane” if your heads not down you’re shooting high no matter how long of a barrel, that’s not an issue because It as well as any other turkey gun I ever own will have an optic.

• Like 1

What loads you going to test in her ? Federal TSS ? XR’s ? Someone else just came out with tss loads too I saw.  

High brass number 6 game loads. Same load I’ve used for a long time. I’ve already got a Carlson imp modified and full extended tubes for it so as long as I get a nice even pattern that’s what I’ll use.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sodfather said:

My 870 is a 20” barrel it seems to pattern fine 

So does my 20" 11-87...I have killed turkeys with it using the double bead that came on it,  an  set of aftermarket fiber optic sights, a Bushnell Holosight, and it is currently wearing a Leupold  1x4 x 20 scope....

52 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

High brass number 6 game loads. Same load I’ve used for a long time. I’ve already got a Carlson imp modified and full extended tubes for it so as long as I get a nice even pattern that’s what I’ll use.

Good choice especially since you tend to kill your turkeys at very close range...3 " shells in that light fixed breech gun would be brutal to shoot....I see the gun has a max LOP of 11.5"....I'm sure your arms are not that short..Hehehe… Do you plan to remedy that with stock spacers or a slip-on pad...??…..

Good choice especially since you tend to kill your turkeys at very close range...3 " shells in that light fixed breech gun would be brutal to shoot....I see the gun has a max LOP of 11.5"....I'm sure your arms are not that short..Hehehe… Do you plan to remedy that with stock spacers or a slip-on pad...??…..

Yea, I have an adult stock on the way. It’s a 20ga so even real heavy loads aren’t comparable to a 12ga. Last year I was toting a H&R 20ga youth with a fixed mod barrel and used the longboard XR’s in 3” and that gun is light and the recoil was way more comfortable to shoot than any of my 12’s.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

18 hours ago, grampy said:

Different strokes for different folks. No such thing as one size fits all.

I'm looking for something shorter and lighter too.

Nice pick up Buckmaster7600! Should be perfect for your style of hunting!

for run and gun it's a good length. Not my style either, but I also wouldn't go with a 20. For more traditional sit and call, the longer barrel is recommended for accuracy, but if you're looking to be more nimble in the woods then the shorter barrel and less weight is good.

• Like 1

for run and gun it's a good length. Not my style either, but I also wouldn't go with a 20. For more traditional sit and call, the longer barrel is recommended for accuracy, but if you're looking to be more nimble in the woods then the shorter barrel and less weight is good.

Recommend by who for accuracy? Accuracy and a turkey gun are two things you don’t often hear together. The only time accuracy and barrel length comes into play is when talking sight radius but that’s not an issue when you’re talking about about a shotguns pattern.

17 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Recommend by who for accuracy? Accuracy and a turkey gun are two things you don’t often hear together. The only time accuracy and barrel length comes into play is when talking sight radius but that’s not an issue when you’re talking about about a shotguns pattern.

is that a serious post?

I think my benelli pump 12ga that's my turkey gun has a 26" field BBL. Honestly I've shot youth guns way to short and others with field barrels they're all accurate. Fit might make your POI different but that's your job to know where the heck your gun is shooting and adjust if need be.

For a while I looked for shorter bbls for my gun like 18.5" didnt have much luck with what I found.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How's the 510 compare to the 500? My 500 20ga rattles a bit despite I've killed turkeys with it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Same gun basically, the one in the shop had a little slop. I haven’t picked mine up yet I’ll know in a few days.

A limb saver recoil pad was added to daughters youth 870 20. Doesn’t but add maybe 2” but worth the shock absorbtion 

That’s the same thing I did for my youth 870, slip on pad and it fits me like a glove. If the new one works out I’ll feel bad leaving that 870 at home but the mossberg is a about 2lbs lighter 3.5”’s shorter.

I run one with 8s in TSS, but i forgot you get pretty close to your birds and dont have a need for that stuff. But they are a fun little gun to tote, they do kick pretty good still being so light and a recoil pad that aint worth much.. but real fun to tote!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally got all the pieces put together on my new toy and today was range day. e53ded8a156c04b24f6a2ab36644a252.jpgMy goal for this gun was to be a compromise gun not set up just for the short game like all my others because this year I have 2 guys that I’m trying to get on their first bird so I wanted a gun set up to be able call one in with. Im very happy with it. Under 6lb’s and 45yd capable for a 20ga. ff7a607ba39fdd412a52f40ca2d0fcf4.jpga5903a996cb146928ac584f1afa295f8.jpg

• Like 5