Turkey decoys

rachunter

Just wondering how many of you guy/gals use decoys. I’ve always put two hens out if I had the chance. I have a jake but it spoked a bird and I never used it again. I hunt in the woods no fields around here. My decoys are those fold up flabuo ones from 20 years ago they still look great last year a hen came in and hung around it was like a peanut shuffle trying to figure out which one was the real bird. I’m getting a pumped up now. Went up to my house this weekend after reading first-lights post all good here with about 26” of ice/snow on the ground. Saw two hens and a gobbler walking down the road they didn’t even move when I drove by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I use 1 hen  decoy for the youth hunts just to give the gobbler something to focus on while trying to get the youngster into shooting position and to double check their aim before they shoot.

when I am hunting alone I haven't used a decoy in well over 25 years and  have not had a problem killing longbeards every year no matter where I hunted.

I will say that you will never see me setting anywhere close to a gobbler, jake,  or fan decoy in the spring EVER. if folks wanna do that its their choice and i wish them luck and safety. 

Edited by reeltime
spelling
  • Like 1

Haven’t used a decoy in 15 years, back when I used them I think the cost me as many birds as they helped me get. A hen and a bake decoy was way more effective than just hens tho.

Tv puts a big enface on the decoys because it makes good tv but in the real world I don’t think they are worth it unless it’s later in the year and you’re hunting field edges.

• Like 1

I think most of us prefer the excitement of hunting spring birds in the woods, listening to a lovesick tom gobbling his head off to your calls and sneaking his way in.

But some days, sitting in a nice dry tent blind on the edge of a field makes the most sense. Decoys have gotten more realistic, and birds have gotten educated. My experience says use or buy the best and most realistic decoys you can find.

If you think it through, spooked birds make sense. Suppose you walked into a bar, and a hot looking Momma across the room yells, "Hey big boy, come talk to me". You pick up your drink, work your way through the crowd, and 10 yards away your "date" looks like a store mannequin or blowup sex doll??? Wouldn't you turn & run also? Point is, your decoys have to look (and even move a little) like a real bird if you want success with decoys.

• Like 1

I find they do work in the woods.  When I'm calling a Tom and he gets within 100 yards, if he can't see a hen, he's not coming any closer.  If he see's the decoy, he's coming within range of the gun.  If he doesn't see a decoy, he's looking real hard for it and often sees me instead.

I once had two Toms come in and killed the lead bird.  The other bird flew away, only to come back in as I stood there holding his companion about 5 minutes later.  I'm sure the hen decoy helped.

I've never had a decoy scare a bird away.  Besides, by the time they get close to the decoy, they're well within range of the gun.  I set the decoy 25 yards away in the woods and my 3.5 in 12 gauge will kill them at 50 yards.

The decoy also helps me bring them into the spot I want them to be in for the best shot opportunity.  

I don't know about field shooting them, but in the woods the decoy works for me.

5 minutes ago, Rattler said:

I find they do work in the woods.  When I'm calling a Tom and he gets within 100 yards, if he can't see a hen, he's not coming any closer.  If he see's the decoy, he's coming within range of the gun.  If he doesn't see a decoy, he's looking real hard for it and often sees me instead.

I once had two Toms come in and killed the lead bird.  The other bird flew away, only to come back in as I stood there holding his companion about 5 minutes later.  I'm sure the hen decoy helped.

I've never had a decoy scare a bird away.  Besides, by the time they get close to the decoy, they're well within range of the gun.  I set the decoy 25 yards away in the woods and my 3.5 in 12 gauge will kill them at 50 yards.

The decoy also helps me bring them into the spot I want them to be in for the best shot opportunity.  

I don't know about field shooting them, but in the woods the decoy works for me.

I cant even see 100 yards in the woods. They tend to pop up in range at 30 yards.. no need for decoy but I learned to use my ears a lot more as visually i'm not going to see them.coming where I hunt.

I have a DSD upright hen and Jake decoy.  Mostly use the hen. It definitely will hold their attention  or suck them in. Jake deke may bring in Tom  looking to now be dominate male  but may have Tom shy away as he’s maybe gotten whooped by a Jake or two.  I’ve had hens feeding with both before but never any real interaction. My friend sent me video just last night from Texas Hunt from Saturday or Sunday where two toms were lumping up his jake decoy. He always seems to get this interaction and has sent many videos of it. Two Rios got thumped by him so once again decoy worked for him. He’s now partially paralyzed and uses blinds.  So keeping birds around to get a shot and film by himself is key.  I’d never be interested in using a full strut decoy 

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, rachunter said:

Just wondering how many of you guy/gals use decoys. I’ve always put two hens out if I had the chance. I have a jake but it spoked a bird and I never used it again. I hunt in the woods no fields around here. My decoys are those fold up flabuo ones from 20 years ago they still look great last year a hen came in and hung around it was like a peanut shuffle trying to figure out which one was the real bird. I’m getting a pumped up now. Went up to my house this weekend after reading first-lights post all good here with about 26” of ice/snow on the ground. Saw two hens and a gobbler walking down the road they didn’t even move when I drove by.

been using a jake and a hen but i also was thinking of two hens this year. Esp in the field edges I hunt most.  

• Like 1