Batteries for trail camera

Jeremy K

I'm running four cams years round at camp, they all get ray o vac batteries . They work great,   

I've compared and tested them to Duracell and Energizer and saw so benefit to spending the extra money .

I change them out every 4 to five months depending when I get to camp. I then just use them in TV remote and flashlight until fully dead  

• Like 1

I found a 100 count for around .85 cents per . Sounds like that might be buy now number . 

Ya there’s a bunch of different sellers selling them in different ways. Either per battery or by the lot of 30, 50,80,100, etc. the prices vary up and down a little bit. Last time I bought some I just waited until I saw one drop down to $78 and I ordered it. Can’t beat it for the price.
  • Like 1

I use the AC Delco if the rayovacs or job smart are not on sale. Harbor Frieght, too once on sale are really good. I've seen the AC Delco down to $17.99 at times. I think my last buy was Job Smart w/120 AA for $20.

I use lithium in my cells, video cams, and the few cams where I will set in deep of winter or for 6+ months without revisiting.

For modern cams on pic mode, not over a point source attractant, alkaline will work well during spring, summer, and into fall. The cost per pic actually favors alkaline over lithium each time I've sat down to do the math - usually by a 2:1 or 3:1 margin. When thrifty, you can get alkaline on sale from $0.06 to $0.20 per battery. $0.85 is about the peak of value for lithium and lithium is sometimes exposed to fakes. 

Lithium when you need it; alkaline for all else. Rechargable are an option but I hate how some cams don't function as well with them, sometimes not at all due to voltage cutoff. Externals...only on my cell cams at this point.

*Edit...let's also add most people frequent their cams often enough to not need lithium in many situations.

Edited by phade
  • Like 3

Seems like I am always needing large quantities of batteries not only cameras but for solar lights, some electronic gadget or flashlight-lantern, bit the bullet and purchased a good quality multi battery charger and a pile of rechargeable NMH and Lithium batteries in all the sizes from Amazon. I have had a few duds but for the most part they work as good as disposables and will be cheaper over the long haul. Best part is I always have them available when the need arises.

Also picked up a little solar charger that sits on a sunny window sill, it is a bit slower than the plug in job but it works well and maintains and holds the full charge until a time when a battery is needed,

Al

2019-03-18_095344.png

2019-03-18_095436.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I used to use alkalines in all cams. Now I only use them if the camera wont be out very long. In those Coverts you bought, I have always used Alkalines and they get awesome battery life with them. Just make sure the ones you buy dont have a tiny nub at the center of the positive end, they wont work. Ive had the best luck with Rayovacs and Energizers in them.

• Like 1

Now I buy whatever. In the past I got 5 gallon buckets of AA from a place that breaks down disposal cameras for recycling. You had to test them as about one in eight were dead,the rest about 80% .

The had tractor trailer loads of AA .

Good place to buy batts and flashlights .

https://www.batteryjunction.com/batteries-size-aa.html

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

Here's what I do in regards to batteries. I the winter I use lithium for two reason one they react better in the cold than alkaline batteries, two I let my cameras soak for four months. In winter I run my cameras in picture mode the rest of the time I run in video mode. In the summer I just go to Wegmans and by there batteries 48 for 9.99 they last me anywhere from 3 to 6 months even in video mode.

• Like 1

I use the Job Smart from TSC when they are on sale or the Harbor Freight batteries when I have a coupon . Both are Alkaline . I recall an old article in Consumer Reports that said that the more expensive Duracell , etc didn't last that much longer and weren't worth the extra cost . But ..... buy the batteries that work for you . 

• Like 1

I run the NiMH rechargeable batteries(tenergy) in my Bushnell and Browning cameras and they work fine. They have 2500 mAh. They are better in the cold than alkaline. Not as good in the heat. I am still recharging batteries I got in 2009.   None have failed me yet. They cost a little more but they have lasted me 10 years and are still going. I got mine from all-battery.com. I usually swap out SD cards and batteries every 3 to 4 weeks.

• Like 1

Love my Amazon basics batteries. I've had cams that were in from late September and took pics until mid June. Gave me some really cute pics of fawns barely a day old walking around with mamma then was able to watch them grow. It was awesome

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I buy my batteries at BJs use the BJs brand as they are always cheaper than the name brands. I don't know if they last longer or not but they do last for several months and I leave some of my cameras out all year. IIRC 48 AA batteries are around $9. (I just checked on line price is $14.99/48 for bjs and $16.99/24 duracell)

• Like 1

I buy my batteries at BJs use the BJs brand as they are always cheaper than the name brands. I don't know if they last longer or not but they do last for several months and I leave some of my cameras out all year. IIRC 48 AA batteries are around $9. (I just checked on line price is $14.99/48 for bjs and $16.99/24 duracell)
I agree with Taco.....I run 4-6 cams April - December and 99% of the time run the BJ's batteries and they hold up really well.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1