Bear hunting with dogs in Canada video

goosifer

I've hunted several times with dogs, not for black bear but for other species.

We more or less kept pursuit of the dogs, just not relying on GPS; but that is now becoming more common. 

Its a experience to watch and follow a good team; its just not about the hunter. One dog typically will play lead nose, but the pack is comprised often composed of sight hunting dogs(coursing) and also dogs who tree an animal all working together. 

Toughest physically draining hunts I have ever done the way we did them. 

Also did one hunt for a specific tiny antelope. That pair of beagles were trained specific to sound just for that one species and they push the target animal to you, as you get set up in front of the dogs waiting on a likely game path.

Like anything hunting, there will be critics, and those not interested; but I really enjoyed myself watching well trained dogs work an animal. YMMV

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Toughest physically draining hunts I have ever done

Animal rights groups and even some hunters will have you believe that hunting with Hounds gives the hunter an unfair advantage and makes for an "easy" kill. Anyone who has actually hunted with Hounds knows that there is nothing farther from the truth. These races can go for many miles in very tough terrain and if the hunters are on foot they had better be in great condition because they will be put to the test physically. The frosting on the cake is "IF" the kill is made you have to pack the game up and trudge back out on tired legs.

I have spent a lot of time hunting and following Hounds mostly after Coons and have taken some monumental hikes being out all night getting back to my vehicle sopping wet, filthy and totally exhausted. I have muttered to myself on more than one occasion that I must be retarded to go through those ordeals but the next night I would be right back out there. 

For me it has always been about the dogs, how amazing it is watching and listening to Hounds do the thing they were born to do, their skills and what they go through to put that Coon in a tree, seen some truly remarkable races.

A hunter that is thinking about booking a Bear hunt and not yet decided on what method they want to try had best be honest with what kind of shape they are in if they are even remotely considering a hunt with Hounds.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, airedale said:

Animal rights groups and even some hunters will have you believe that hunting with Hounds gives the hunter an unfair advantage and makes for an "easy" kill. Anyone who has actually hunted with Hounds knows that there is nothing farther from the truth. These races can go for many miles in very tough terrain and if the hunters are on foot they had better be in great condition because they will be put to the test physically. The frosting on the cake is "IF" the kill is made you have to pack the game up and trudge back out on tired legs.

I have spent a lot of time hunting and following Hounds mostly after Coons and have taken some monumental hikes being out all night getting back to my vehicle sopping wet, filthy and totally exhausted. I have muttered to myself on more than one occasion that I must be retarded to go through those ordeals but the next night I would be right back out there. 

For me it has always been about the dogs, how amazing it is watching and listening to Hounds do the thing they were born to do, their skills and what they go through to put that Coon in a tree, seen some truly remarkable races.

A hunter that is thinking about booking a Bear hunt and not yet decided on what method they want to try had best be honest with what kind of shape they are in if they are even remotely considering a hunt with Hounds.

Al

5 hours ago, helmut in the bush said:

It's awesome hunting with hounds. I  know it gets a bad rap, but I'd like to Deer hunt with hounds, just to see what it's about. Some dogs just love to hunt

If you're used to dog hunting, it probably doesn't seem odd at all, but as someone who doesn't hunt with dogs and didn't grow up in that culture I can understand why activist groups don't like it. Seeing that bear up there shaking doesn't exactly make me feel great. I'm not against it mind you, just stating that i can "understand".

15 hours ago, goosifer said:

I found this very interesting. The way the video is shot, it's like you are right there doing the hunt. A bit long, but it goes quickly.

Doesn't bother me just another way to hunt .

No different then a deer drive in ways. 

Hunting doesn't always have to be done the hardest way possible. In lots  of places it is not practical to hunt any other way anyways finding a bear on your own with no dogs or bait would be like hitting the lottery in most places they live .  

• Like 1

I have been at quite a few bear trees, and let me tell you, it's is a miracle that that bear treed close to the road. Most of the time it seems like, they are on the other side of a big beaver pond with no road on the other side.

I love watching and listening to a pack of hounds working a bear track out to its conclusion. If it trees quick, it is usually a cub. For every quick tree, you will have a dozen long runs and some of those end up with no tree at the end, or you are scrambling to catch dogs before darkness sets in. 

Even if you have no intention of shooting a bear out of a tree, it is worth your time to go out a couple days with the hound hunters just to see the excitement  and the hard work that is involved.

• Like 1