Cut cable !

Nomad

Finally. Got this 70 mile antenna up tucked the line behind the J channel ran it up then down the side to where the phone line used to go into the basement . Connected it to the  cable splitter so,it feeds all the TVs in the house 25 channels . 1080hd looks great . Along with my Amazon Prime we’ve been watching for free, knocked over $100 off our cable / internet bill, also my buddy put his Net Flix  on my iPad .

May get Philo steaming $20 a month for 50 some channels,unlimited dvr .All The channels I want Nat Geo, History,Discovery And so forth .

Dont know why we waited this long .

4ABABC49-84BE-4959-8B18-B15E8604F196.png

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 8

Ugh.. My #1 pet peeve, cost of cable TV and guessing satellite providers are about the same. Did my cable cutting about a year ago and reduced my TV viewing bill from Spectrum's std service (~$110/mo) to Sling plus one add-on (~$30/mo). Unfortunately still stuck with Spectrum's absorbent std internet fee of ~$65/mo, less any equipment rental.

Have to admit cutting the cord was super intimidating at first for this old fart. Once you do it, it's not that overwhelming... so I say now! Almost all the streaming providers have at least a 7 day free trial and w/o any contract. Lots of info available about DIY or how-to do cable cutting.and reviews of services and equipment. Once you wade in and get your feet wet, there's a ton of streaming services available. FYI - There is NO best service for every one! Depends on your budget, viewing preferences, ease of use, etc...

• Like 3

We tried the antenna, but we are in a valley and we only received 3 channels and they were crappy. Wish we could’ve went with a antenna. 

We still have the cable for internet and we switched to Hulu so we are saving about $40 a month though. 

• Like 1

Yeah, ~$40/mo for an all-in-one streaming service seems to be the sweet spot or target price. Did use Direct TV Now when I got their 3mo intro price and was pleased with service & options. Just more than I want to pay/mo for the regular price service from them. Even the dreaded Spectrum (biting my tongue!) has a couple of interesting options. First is Choice (??), where you pick your favorite 10 channels from an expansive list, network broadcasts included and you can even add-on premium channels (ie; HBO, Showtime, etc). Promoted at ~$22/mo, it's actually ~$30/mo with added broadcast fee for network stations. Premium channels added on for +$15/mo. Used to be an open-ended offer, but IRC see in fine print where it might be only a 2yr pricing offer...!?! Spectrum also has another interesting offer coming out this (March 2019) month for lots of entertainment channels, less news & sports for ~$15/mo. And of course Spectrum's hidden fees could be added on..!! Can't seem to find many details, but did see it was for those of us cable-cutters still stuck with Spectrum internet.

To set the record straight, I HATE SPECTRUM! Just giving an idea of some of the options out there. Something out there for everyone's viewing preference. Just have to find the right fit!!!

I would love to cut the cable. I have Fios and the bill sucks. Until my wife retires and no longer needs a dedicated phone line and fax for her business I'm stuck. If you go with an antenna do you get just local broadcast channels? I record almost everything on the supplied set top box and watch later as i hate commercials. And I must get the Sabres games. Is any of that possible with an antenna and some kind of internet tv?

slightly off topic but in the same family. I finally got unlimited data on my phone. So I set up a personal hotspot and used my laptop to access the internet. I believe there shouldn't be a charge correct or no?

Depends on your phone carrier. Some will change a flat rate for using your phone as a hot spot. Say an extra $15 a month. That was about a year ago so perhaps they changed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

For some reason I couldn’t clear all that quote above. First Light , our friends have a place in S.C. They go to for four months in the winter that’s what they do there ,they have unlimited data, then switch it to a lesser plan back in NY. 

Taco antenna gives me 20 some channels you can google which you get based on your zip code . Me tv, ion, and so forth but yes commercials.

We did the same with our cable  dvr record and zip past them . With Philo ( streaming ) it has unlimited  dvr , 57 channels $20 a month .  No sports or local though ,which works for me I don’t watch sports and antenna gives me local news if I wish to watch it .

Antenna ,Prime,Philo, $20 a month  more then enough to watch for us .

• Like 1

Paying for internet but don't have cable or satellite TV. I read books or watch free YouTube content related to hunting, history, Chess, philosophy, social commentary and politics, to name just a few. YouTube has amazing content, all at no additional cost. I am currently getting a free education on Day Trading stocks on Youtube. It is like free college.

My wife works in cable and has for many years so I never paid for any of it. Got phone, cable, wifi, security...all free. She changed companies a couple years ago so we had to cut the cord. No way I was paying 2-3 hundred bucks a month.......

We still have to get the Spectrum shitty internet but we have Amazon Prime. Netflix and Youtube TV. Very happy with Youtube and Amazon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

My wife works in cable and has for many years so I never paid for any of it. Got phone, cable, wifi, security...all free. She changed companies a couple years ago so we had to cut the cord. No way I was paying 2-3 hundred bucks a month.......

We still have to get the Spectrum shitty internet but we have Amazon Prime. Netflix and Youtube TV. Very happy with Youtube and Amazon.

where the heck are you getting 200-300 a month? I have a middle tier directv subscription with 3 remote boxes and dvr and I'm at 130. 

where the heck are you getting 200-300 a month? I have a middle tier directv subscription with 3 remote boxes and dvr and I'm at 130. 
I am guessing a top level Verizon or Spectrum package can push that all day.

The guy told me who installed our FiOS he routinely activated packages in the city of Buffalo that pushed 350.00 a month.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Just now, Fletch said:

It was free so we had top stuff.

Gold package is $130 a month

Security $100 month

3 DVR boxes

Phone

The highest speed Internet.

Easy peasy lol

oh you're including, security, phone and net. yeah that makes sense. I'm at $190 when you factor in net

• Like 2

i'm a constant negotiator. right not at $109 for digital phone, internet, and standard cable package. i bought a highend wireless router myself.  i even played games with Spectrum to just get internet but that was a no go because it'd still be $75/month.  being a long standing customer (over a decade) doesn't mean anything either.  we have nexflix and amazon prime too.  i'd dump the Spectrum account and just use our phones but need internet service at the house when we are both (both our phones) not there.

what's kind of disgusting to think about with these perk "necessities" in our lives is if i invested that cable expense money the last 10 yrs and kept running with it until retirement, it'd would've banked me half a million extra to draw from. lol cable costs really burn your ass then. we have to live while we're here i guess.