Cut cable !

Nomad

TV antennas now-a-days are  much like the old style rabbit-ears. Only get the strongest "over the air" signals from local network stations, IE: ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc. IRC, shopping for antennas, they'll have signal reception strength listed in miles. All the news, weather & sports are regional but revert to network programming after that. Most TV sets have internal decoders to convert signal to view-able TV shows. So you basically install antenna, connect cable, adj aiming of antenna and you're good to go with TV remote controller. Check before you plunge, my Visio TV has no decoder/converter. If you want to store/save programs using an antenna, need an additional TI-VOish box. Some streaming services have an add-on for network TV viewing at a $$ if you don't want to be bothered with the equipment issue. And some streaming services offer program storage (cloud) add-on, again more $$ typically.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:45 AM, 2012_taco said:

If you go with an antenna do you get just local broadcast channels? I record almost everything on the supplied set top box and watch later as i hate commercials.

I run four tv's off an antenna and am able to pull in about 40 plus channels. I hate commercials also and If there is something I want to watch I record it on one of these and blow through the commercials. They run about $50.00 at Walmart. They record to a flash drive so you can watch it on tv or a computer. Not as fancy as direct tv or dish but they serve the purpose. A 32 gb flash drive will hold about three hours.. I bought one for up stairs and one for down so I can watch it on either tv.

One months' satellite bill more than covered the cost. The nice part about these is they come with guide which you don't get with just an antenna.

You don't have the diversity of cable or satellite but it is a hell of a lot cheaper.

dvr.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Local cable company (Mid Hudson Cable ) called to install a new cable modem - we only use cable for internet - and they said the price would drop $ 45 per month . When their Tech showed up I questioned him about why the drop in price ?  I said is there new competition in town and he said yes the local phone company (Not Verizon ) is going to run Fiber so they have to drop prices to compete ! In other word they (cable company ) were just milking the users and could have operated on less all these years ! Corporate Greed !

• Sad 1

Local cable company (Mid Hudson Cable ) called to install a new cable modem - we only use cable for internet - and they said the price would drop $ 45 per month . When their Tech showed up I questioned him about why the drop in price ?  I said is there new competition in town and he said yes the local phone company (Not Verizon ) is going to run Fiber so they have to drop prices to compete ! In other word they (cable company ) were just milking the users and could have operated on less all these years ! Corporate Greed !

Where do you live again? I’m also a hostage to mid Hudson eagerly waiting for a competitor to free us from these ridiculous prices. I haven’t heard about fiber coming to the area so that’s cool. I