Tickssssss

cynthiafu

1 hour ago, cynthiafu said:

Just got back from wondering around in the woods .and I have 3 ticks on me and 2 more just crawling around . Ughhh shower time. Going to shower with the dogs shampoo lolol

I bought a Rynoskin skin tight outfit to combat the little bastards. $100 but I think it's worth it. They cannot penetrate the material.

• Like 1

Haven't had to hardly shovel this winter in NYC area.  Small amount but by far much more mild than last winter. BTW - I was out hiking one day and took a shower after. Woke up in the morning with one of these bastards burrowed into my arm pit. Casual shower does not remove them... 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ny hunter said:

Westchester...., We have really nothing this year to complain about.... 

It's been cold we just lucked out that it happened to warm only when precipitation was happening just enough to turn the snow to rain . Right after the temperature dropped.

Phew.. I have not ever had a tick on me in 25  years at my place.. have only seen 1 on neighbors dog at bottom of hill about a mile away. I feel bad for every one that has these around.. glad my place 8s sub zero in winter seems to be reason they are not here

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Phew.. I have not ever had a tick on me in 25  years at my place.. have only seen 1 on neighbors dog at bottom of hill about a mile away. I feel bad for every one that has these around.. glad my place 8s sub zero in winter seems to be reason they are not here

yes be glad you dont.  I have paranoia because of those things.  Had lyme disease and never saw a tick.  But my dog has had them on him and i have seen on my hunting gear and have had a couple bite me.  I check over after every hunt and hang my clothes outside.   When i got Lyme it was in the summer,  and that weekend i was out berry picking and moving tree stands and went hiking for half a day.  On sunday night i had a headache like i have never had and fever.  Saw a red bullseye behind my knee and knew those were the symptoms of lyme.  Went to dr and they gave me antibiotics and i was better in 24 hrs and no problems since.  But i live right next to Verona beach state park and there are a lot of ticks there.  Dr said it could have bitten me when i was out doing all that stuff or could have got me just walking in the yard or getting the mail or came in on the dog.  She said it also doesnt take one to bite you that long as long, if they get you exposed to your blood you can get it.  Buddy of mine also never knew he was bit and it took 6 months to diagnose it til he demanded to be tested for lyme. And he had some pretty serious effects from it for a while.  

But i dont think your area should be any colder than mine and we cert have them.  Dont know why the disbursement is like that but it seems to be pockets where there are more.  Never ever used to see them years ago.  Now i always see a few every season.  Last season wasnt too bad.  The year before saw a lot of them.  Def glad for you that you dont have them.

53 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

yes be glad you dont.  I have paranoia because of those things.  Had lyme disease and never saw a tick.  But my dog has had them on him and i have seen on my hunting gear and have had a couple bite me.  I check over after every hunt and hang my clothes outside.   When i got Lyme it was in the summer,  and that weekend i was out berry picking and moving tree stands and went hiking for half a day.  On sunday night i had a headache like i have never had and fever.  Saw a red bullseye behind my knee and knew those were the symptoms of lyme.  Went to dr and they gave me antibiotics and i was better in 24 hrs and no problems since.  But i live right next to Verona beach state park and there are a lot of ticks there.  Dr said it could have bitten me when i was out doing all that stuff or could have got me just walking in the yard or getting the mail or came in on the dog.  She said it also doesnt take one to bite you that long as long, if they get you exposed to your blood you can get it.  Buddy of mine also never knew he was bit and it took 6 months to diagnose it til he demanded to be tested for lyme. And he had some pretty serious effects from it for a while.  

But i dont think your area should be any colder than mine and we cert have them.  Dont know why the disbursement is like that but it seems to be pockets where there are more.  Never ever used to see them years ago.  Now i always see a few every season.  Last season wasnt too bad.  The year before saw a lot of them.  Def glad for you that you dont have them.

I am in zone 3/4 I usually get a few night of -20 here and am high enough to have snow on top of the hill while it rains at the bottom. I cant grown many trees plants that say they will grow in ny, the 2 lakes closest to me are the 1st to freeze every year.. case/ Cuba. A few degrees may be the difference, I've seen shows where ticks attack moose in its southern range because the climate is warmer and the thrive in warmer winters..  I've seen keds on my deer but never a tick.. cold isnt a bad thing it seems.. I'm always in shock hearing about all the ticks members deal with...

• Like 1

Nothing new down here in Putnam and Westchester. They are everywhere in high brush. Permethrin on clothes definitely works tho. I know at least 10 people who have gotten Lyme and none of them are outdoorsmen. That’s the problem. People aren’t checking themselves well enough. You got 24 hours to get them off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An Invasive New Tick Is Spreading in the U.S.

The Asian long-horned tick was first identified in New Jersey last November. The species now has been reported in the suburbs of New York City and as far west as Arkansas.CreditJames Gathany/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
07SCI-TICK1-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&

There also another virus to be concerned with called "powassan disease"

https://www.cdc.gov/powassan/index.html

Contrary to popular belief ticks do not die off because of the cold:

If we have a cold winter where temperatures stay cold long enough, tick populations will be lower the next year. ... Some species, like the deer tick, which is primarily responsible for the spread of Lyme disease, can tolerate colder temperatures.