My soon to be new to me truck.

rob-c

13 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Oh who knew. They must have grabbed enough Market share though to force Ford back into making the Ranger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think your going to see all the manufacturers pump lots of money into the midsize truck market. These midsize trucks are actually on paper not to far behind a full size for specs. I busted on Airedale about the ridgline but its actually impressive the towing and  Payload capacity for a unibody vehicle. 

Edited by rob-c

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

2020.  I will be watching too

Only thing I told her is she had to wait a few years. Never want to buy the first year run of a vehicle. Gotta give them time to work the bugs out. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 4

Saw my first one driving by the Ford dealer in Ithaca yesterday. Looks sharp from the drive by. Need a closer look.

Yes except everytime I build one online it comes out to $50K lol

Of the pickups I have owned there were two that liked a lot and would love to have today. The first was a new Jeep J10 that came out soon after American Motors acquired them. It had the 360 V8 engine, auto trans and the new at the time full time four wheel drive Quadra Trac. It drove beautifully and would go just about anywhere.

The second would be a new 78 Ford Ranchero GT, a pickup based off of their full size LTD car, that thing was cool and drove and rode like a luxury automobile. The bed was good sized and could hold a lot of stuff but was only rated to carry 800 lbs. I put some heavy duty air shocks on it to help increase the load capacity a bit. Low to the ground there would not be any kind of even minor off roading. 

Below a couple of internet photos of those two trucks, mine were the same color.

Always said my dream truck would be a blend of some utility and off road capabilities of that J10 Jeep and the class and luxury ride of the Ranchero. The Honda Ridgeline comes pretty darn close.

Al

2019-03-22_142510.png

2019-03-22_142847.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I bet something like 60% of pickup drivers don't ever use their truck to tow or haul, and rarely do anything that really requires the specs. The ridgeline fits the niche of that guy who wants the cargo capacity, but will never really need a truck for what it's designed for.

I was looking at tacos and frontiers and then realized the fuel efficiency really wasn't all that much better and went fullsize and I'm glad I did because I use the heck out of my bed, but only a few times have I really needed the rock crawling capabilities of my silverado.

38 minutes ago, airedale said:

Of the pickups I have owned there were two that liked a lot and would love to have today. The first was a new Jeep J10 that came out soon after American Motors acquired them. It had the 360 V8 engine, auto trans and the new at the time full time four wheel drive Quadra Trac. It drove beautifully and would go just about anywhere.

The second would be a new 78 Ford Ranchero GT, a pickup based off of their full size LTD car, that thing was cool and drove and rode like a luxury automobile. The bed was good sized and could hold a lot of stuff but was only rated to carry 800 lbs. I put some heavy duty air shocks on it to help increase the load capacity a bit. Low to the ground there would not be any kind of even minor off roading. 

Below a couple of internet photos of those two trucks, mine were the same color.

Always said my dream truck would be a blend of some off road capabilities of that J10 Jeep and the class and luxury ride of the Ranchero. The Honda Ridgeline comes pretty darn close.

Al

2019-03-22_142510.png

2019-03-22_142847.png

Always liked the looks of J10’s. The rancheros and elcaminos were just cool.  

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Oh who knew. They must have grabbed enough Market share though to force Ford back into making the Ranger.

Straight from the mouth of the head of Ford's american stamping , "we waited to see if the chevy scavenged full size buyers or brought buyers in from other markets ,once it was determined that full size buyers were not the ones buying mid sized trucks ,it made sense to go mid sized also. "

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I bet something like 60% of pickup drivers don't ever use their truck to tow or haul, and rarely do anything that really requires the specs. The ridgeline fits the niche of that guy who wants the cargo capacity, but will never really need a truck for what it's designed for.

I was looking at tacos and frontiers and then realized the fuel efficiency really wasn't all that much better and went fullsize and I'm glad I did because I use the heck out of my bed, but only a few times have I really needed the rock crawling capabilities of my silverado.

I bought my Tundra about six months ago after drooling over Tacomas for six months prior. I came to the same conclusion on both specs and pricing. Went full size. Nice to have the 6 ft. bed. I've had an ATV in there, a 12 ft rowboat, a canoe, and a pair of kayaks already. And no, not all at the same time, lol.

Edited by Steuben Jerry

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yes except everytime I build one online it comes out to $50K lol

you could totally swing that. take it from the landscaping pool budget and it'll be paid off in a couple years.

22 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I bought my Tundra about six months ago after drooling over Tacomas for six months prior. I came to the same conclusion on both specs and pricing. Went full size. Nice to have the 6 ft. bed. I've had an ATV in there, a 12 ft rowboat, a canoe, and a pair of kayaks already. And no, not all at the same time, lol.

My Nissan frontier has a 6ft bed but it is an ext cab and not the double cab.  Getting hard to find the ext cab trucks these days.  And i agree dont like the little 4 ft bed - might as well get an SUV and a trailer and have the seating rather than a 4ft bed 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belo said:

i bought my ridgeline used and because it was cheap and low mileage. i basically did what you said used it for what it was. a handful of times on the farm it got a work out though. hardest i ever worked it was an atv in the back while towing a hay wagon full of haybales (about 9,000 lbs) for a normally 12 minute drive down the road.  most use their trucks like a glorified sedan with a bed in the back. most of the time that's me too though.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Love the idea of a fun truck with doors off etc but a really weak motor.  

i  was hoping they would come out with the ext cab and not just the double doors.  Yeah I thought they could do better.  Some of the concept Jeep trucks were much better looking than what they came out with 

had other full size full length bed 1/4 ton pickups that were used to slowly haul (2) 1000 lb round bales at a time from the field when they all wouldn't fit on the wagon. trucks take abuse more than some people think.  they don't live when people don't maintain them.

Ive been eyeing up the jeep gladiator but having the 5ft bed is a killer. So now im looking at tacomas, you can get crew cab with 6' bed. Only problem is we have a 32' camper... only towed it twice last year, down to Chataqua lake in the spring, back home in the fall. I could borrow my dads truck for those two occasions. Ive been leasing trucks do to not wanting to pay the price to buy one, buy i could handle a tacoma payment.

you could totally swing that. take it from the landscaping pool budget and it'll be paid off in a couple years.

But I’d use the bed of the truck 2-3x a year at most. Not a smart financial decision.