Does anyone know much about jetskis?

G-Man

Yes, a good deal but Sit down wave runners are boring.

Stand up Jet Skis are way more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wave runners and Jet Skis are only Yamaha. I own a wave runner. If you think they're boring you clearly have never gone 72mph on one

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wave runners and Jet Skis are only Yamaha. I own a wave runner. If you think they're boring you clearly have never gone 72mph on one

Clearly YOU have never did a ghost ride at 72mph. Live your best life and send it.

Gman. How often do you plan to ride and where ?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Clearly YOU have never did a ghost ride at 72mph. Live your best life and send it.

Gman. How often do you plan to ride and where ?

Just on Cuba lake maybe 1x a week they are 97 ski doo xp.

You’re sitting down. It’s boring. I’ve been on them all. Do 35 standing up and some jumps and you’ll never sit down again

You’re sitting down. It’s boring. I’ve been on them all. Do 35 standing up and some jumps and you’ll never sit down again

Trust me you can't sit at 72. If you sat you'd fall off and likely explode on impact with the water

11 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Doesn't sound "smoking" for 20yr old machines. Imo

agreed. Although with trailer and stuff I guess it's fair.

If you're just interested because it was presented to you, then maybe a pass. If you've been thinking about it for your place to keep kids/grandkids having fun, then they're probably a good investments. Jetskis unlike boats are purely recreational and sort of like pools. They're worth the cost and hassle if you're going to use them, otherwise eh. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Doesn't sound "smoking" for 20yr old machines. Imo

I agree with this....I would say $1000 or so per machine and $500 for the trailer would be a good deal. Maybe more if they were totally mint and had low hours. 

I paid $800 bucks for my 2000 Yamaha Waverunner XL 800 with an aluminum Karavan trailer. I wasn't even looking for a jetski but I felt like that was a smoking deal so I grabbed it. That was two years ago. It has gotten almost no use from me cause my daughter wasn't old enough to ride it. This year she is 14 and will be able to use it. I think its stupid she can drive the boat at 12 but can't ride the jetski until she is 14. 

Keep in mind those are two stroke engines that work very hard in a jetski. It may be time for a top end replacement which isn't a big deal but can be very costly if it isn't something you can do yourself. At that age you have to worry about other parts failing as well that can be costly....oil pump, crank seals, pump etc. 

Just keep in mind they are over 20 years old and anything can happen to them making them not cost productive to repair and then they will be just about worthless. 

• Like 1

I have a pair of Polaris 780 SLX on a trailer I am going to advertise for sale here soon for 3K. Engines rebuilt before I bought them. I didn't use them much.  3500 for what you are looking at is not a smoking deal, but doesn't seem outrageous either.

5 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

When u jump off the machine.

I've done it twice above 40 but never with intent. One of them above 50. Neither time was enjoyable and the 56 MPH dump laid me up for four days. I'll honestly say I don't know how I didn't die or break a bone but it remains to this day the second most pain I've ever felt (after blowing out L2-L3).

My Yahama 1200R was a big girl, but she pushed amazing power and was steady. Then I upgraded into a full stage turbo kit, impeller and exhaust. She did 72 stock on glass water and I'll be honest, I saw the speedometer hit 80 once for a fleeting second after the modifications and I couldn't handle it any longer and successfully backed her off.

Both dumps I walked on water. The bigger one I walked on water for way too long and it was exceptionally quiet for that time until the pain and momentum finally caught up to my brain.

I've been on one PWC since 2005. I miss it like crazy but they make no sense in NY. When I live in VA and did watercross, it was worth it because we were on them every weekend 7-8 mos a year.

70MPH on water is the equivalent of doing 140-160 on land. It's intense.

• Like 2

I've done it twice above 40 but never with intent. One of them above 50. Neither time was enjoyable and the 56 MPH dump laid me up for four days. I'll honestly say I don't know how I didn't die or break a bone but it remains to this day the second most pain I've ever felt (after blowing out L2-L3).
My Yahama 1200R was a big girl, but she pushed amazing power and was steady. Then I upgraded into a full stage turbo kit, impeller and exhaust. She did 72 stock on glass water and I'll be honest, I saw the speedometer hit 80 once for a fleeting second after the modifications and I couldn't handle it any longer and successfully backed her off.
Both dumps I walked on water. The bigger one I walked on water for way too long and it was exceptionally quiet for that time until the pain and momentum finally caught up to my brain.
I've been on one PWC since 2005. I miss it like crazy but they make no sense in NY. When I live in VA and did watercross, it was worth it because we were on them every weekend 7-8 mos a year.
70MPH on water is the equivalent of doing 140-160 on land. It's intense.
At those speeds all that's really in the water is the impeller any tiny shift in weight feels like an elephant. I can only imagine if there was any waves when I hit that I'd probably flip over backwards and explode on impact. I like to keep it in the 50s-60s now a days. And usually around 30-45 launching off 3-4 foot waves. Any faster and it's a death wish

1 minute ago, The Jerkman said:

At those speeds all that's really in the water is the impeller any tiny shift in weight feels like an elephant. I can only imagine if there was any waves when I hit that I'd probably flip over backwards and explode on impact. I like to keep it in the 50s-60s now a days. And usually around 30-45 launching off 3-4 foot waves. Any faster and it's a death wish

I'd like to think I'd still be willing to try a top speed run. Good thing I don't own one any longer to disprove that, haha.

The bigger dump was due to a bass boat coming out of a creek I did not expect. The wake was immediate and no recourse. I was dumb. Somehow I survived. I'm the equivalent of a 1.5 y/o buck that fortunately came across a mature buck hunter a few times who let me go and somehow I made it to adulthood. Maybe I learned, I guess. 

• Like 1

I'd like to think I'd still be willing to try a top speed run. Good thing I don't own one any longer to disprove that, haha.
The bigger dump was due to a bass boat coming out of a creek I did not expect. The wake was immediate and no recourse. I was dumb. Somehow I survived. I'm the equivalent of a 1.5 y/o buck that fortunately came across a mature buck hunter a few times who let me go and somehow I made it to adulthood. Maybe I learned, I guess. 
Oh if conditions are perfect glass like right before a big storm it's totally awesome to open em up. But only for short Bursts. I too think I was lucky enough to learn my lesson before any too major of a spill happened

old "jet skis" are a problem to get parts for. everything is special order if you can get it and expensive. 2 is always gold compared to just one but still.  we had one i think might have been a '96. it was a Tigershark. it did probably around 40 or 45 on calm mornings or evenings with a glassy surface. not sure if the sea-doo is different but back then it didn't have the anti clog design. ride on a lake and going over a patch of floating weeds would kill your intake of water to the internal prop. multiple times i had it wide open with the happening. it's send you into a flat fast spin. when you were lucky stayed on and just got banged up. most of the time you kept going straight and cartwheeled on the water with a final slap like someone hit you with an oar. i'd never buy one that old. they're nothing like the newer ones.