Would you shoot a sleeping lion?

goosifer

link to article here

As an aside, when I went to the Outdoor Expo recently, there was some places that offered year-round, no license required "hunting" for all sorts of exotic species. The price list looked like a Chinese menu, with higher prices as the size of then animal or rack went up. I had heard the term high-fence hunting on the forum before, but never realized how it worked or how far things went. At what point does it become harvesting instead of hunting?

I shouldn't have convoluted the question with the mention of high fence hunting. That's a separate issue. Regarding the lion, the article just says it was a guided hunt.

Edited by goosifer
remove reference to high fence hunting

7 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Why not? I didnt see if it was a canned (high fence) hunt, but whats the difference between a sleeping lion and one thats awake? To me thats like asking if I would shoot a bedded deer...of course I would!

It just says it was a "guided hunt". I shouldn't have convoluted the two issues. I meant to post about the high fence place earlier, but forgot about it. This article reminded me of it for some reason.

This is a quote posted on a forum that is more orientated to African hunting by someone who I consider one of the best PH's and outfitters in the business right now. And for full disclosure I have met him and used his company to book 2 hunts.....

From Buzz Charlton;

Everyone jumping to conclusions before knowing the full story-Who is to say that they had not been tracking it all day and had seen and evaluated the trophy already. 

Who is to say they had not already had numerous trail cam pics of it from a bait and followed it out from a bait?

I recognise the river, the Ph and the client. What I can the tell you is this- It aint no canned lion hunt, the Ph is well respected and the client is an extremely ethical and hard hunting gentleman that I have had the pleasure of sharing camp with before and I hope again.

As to shooting the lion lying down my view on that is it is a personal decision. What I do know very well is that the Antis will and do take everything out of context but as fellow hunters please lets not help them with their agenda by back biting our fellow hunters!!!

• Like 7

I'd also note that many Lions are shot under  penned reared and released conditions in South Africa because they are affordable and there are plenty folks just want to say they shot a Lion. 

I have been on one of those places and its not my cup of tea; hunts hang from shoots to hunts and everything in between depending on the individual landowner and sizes of the property. 

bunch of social media articles on this with the typical "he deserves a slow painful death" response. The irony has always made me chuckle.

Personally, I wouldn't hunt lions and I do struggle with shooting a sleeping/resting animal. Most of us have probably had deer bed down near us and I can't imagine none of you have ever struggled with the concept especially considering the compressed vital area. 

But it's legal. I sure as heck wouldn't have shared the video though.

• Like 2

if it's not a "canned" hunt then i'd do the same thing depending on what it was. being a lion and odd vital position i'd probably try to wait it out until it stands.  I've still hunted and stalked to within close range of bedded deer and then took a successful head shot. i see nothing unethical or unsporting about it. the lion situation doesn't seem to be much different other than waiting for more ideal shot placement because of the animal it happens to be.

As long as no laws are broken, I don't have a problem with how another hunter kills. We each have our own built in ethics. What is right for one, may not be for another. That's ok. To each their own. Way too much bickering amongst us as a group.

United We Stand.  Divided We Fall.

A side note.......  My second biggest buck, was shot in his bed, after tracking him in a blizzard in 1986. One of my most memorable deer hunts ever. I am still proud to tell the story of that hunt. After all these years I still remember every detail vividly. One of my proudest moments as a hunter.

• Like 3

we all throw out the "as long as it's legal" line a lot. But honestly there are a lot of legal acts that are immoral and a lot of illegal acts that would be ethical. I know where you're coming from with these statements, but just because it's on a piece of paper that some politician blessed, doesn't make it right.

edit to say this statement is independent of the sleeping lion scenario, just a general comment.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

I could care less if someone wants to blow 30k or 40k .To get a  lion in africa .

Besides it goes to conservation efforts over there or who would want lions living next to there land if there not making money from them . 

Edited by Storm914

12 minutes ago, Belo said:

we all throw out the "as long as it's legal" line a lot. But honestly there are a lot of legal acts that are immoral and a lot of illegal acts that would be ethical. I know where you're coming from with these statements, but just because it's on a piece of paper that some politician blessed, doesn't make it right.

edit to say this statement is independent of the sleeping lion scenario, just a general comment.

We all have our own set of ethics, and defining what we each think is ethical vs what is legal, well it doesn’t matter if we think it’s ethical or not. 

• Like 2

Guy was probably one twig snap away from waking the Lion. If's it's legal...why not harvest a sleeping lion. Saw a hunting program several years ago of a brown bear hunt with a guy using a bow. He snuck up on the sleeping brown bear and put one in the boiler room. 20 yards...Never knew what hit him....thought that was ballzey.