Would you shoot a sleeping lion?

goosifer

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

There is a similar discussion though about the compressed organs and your shot placement.

You're absolutely right, and it never crossed my mind in those early days. Those were shotgun days, and a 3 inch slugger was pretty devastating at 50 yards. I do remember a messy field dressing experience.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Personally have never understood the attraction to Rinella  and his group of holier than thou cohorts.

What a load of bull shit to score card another hunter on a topic that they know nothing about, thtas no better then the anti's tactics. 

Someone just sent me a link to a shitty report on auction tags they posted, and every time they always have a problem with folks who have money; as if being a broke hunter is somehow superior.

What a load of drivel.

I have taken WAY more game by head count in Africa then the Lion hunter in question....maybe they want to grade me and my bank account.:rolleyes:

I have zero use for Steve Rinella or his ego.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

The Texas lion-heart shot!

Not a perfectly executed "TLHS" by a long shot.   Looking at the video photos from the link, it looks like the guy took his first shot from the rear while the lion was at a "quartering away" angle.  That is why the second and third shot were required.  Had he moved a little further to the left, prior to firing the first shot, he would have saved himself a couple of bullets and gotten the job done quicker. 

Maybe an African Loin Safari would be a good idea after I retire so I could show him how to do it right..   Getting a lion shoulder mount, showing the single "exit" hole on the center of the chest would be cool.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eaglemountainman said:

I have zero use for Steve Rinella or his ego.

Like Rinella or not, I think he does a good job of explaining a rationale for hunting that most on the fence will understand and accept.  My personal view is that he is a good representative in terms of winning support for hunting from the uncertain or indifferent masses.   

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Not a perfectly executed "TLHS" by a long shot.   Looking at the video photos from the link, it looks like the guy took his first shot from the rear while the lion was at a "quartering away" angle.  That is why the second and third shot were required.  Had he moved a little further to the left, prior to firing the first shot, he would have saved himself a couple of bullets and gotten the job done quicker. 

Maybe an African Loin Safari would be a good idea after I retire so I could show him how to do it right..   Getting a lion shoulder mount, showing the single "exit" hole on the center of the chest would be cool.  

What about a texas heart shot ?  a dangerous animal like a lion would be perfect to show off  your markmanship  nothing like a hole in one :)

7 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

What about a texas heart shot ?  a dangerous animal like a lion would be perfect to show off  your markmanship  nothing like a hole in one :)

You must have missed the earlier post by SJ:  TLHS = Texas Lion Heart Shot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Like Rinella or not, I think he does a good job of explaining a rationale for hunting that most on the fence will understand and accept.  My personal view is that he is a good representative in terms of winning support for hunting from the uncertain or indifferent masses.   

My kinda guy for sure.  He makes it very clear that as a hunter, meat is his top priority.   I especially liked the South American episode where he ate the monkey brains and was making fun of the catch-and-release fishermen.  He did not look too thrilled with taste of coyote meat, in the episode where he tried it, but always seems to like the nuts of mule deer, whitetail, and antelope when cooked with butter and lots of pepper.  I am surprised that Belo, being such a big fan, is so opposed to trying any of those.    

Edited by wolc123

8 hours ago, Belo said:

Dudes need to stop sharing their pics and videos and the antis will have less shit to moan about. And if you disagree with that, eventually you'll lose the rights completely. 

I also take personal issue with your "I've taken WAY more game.." who cares man? This isn't a dick measuring contest. You directly contradict your "holier than thou" criticism when you end your post like that. It reads to me that you believe you're better than the guy who shot the sleeping lion and better than Rinella and his group. Isn't that what set you off about the article in the first place?

I've mentioned on here before I am no longer posting any pics of any hunting anymore, made that mistake, learned from it and moving on; and I've also decided to extend that to fishing as of recent. The "share" just isn't worth the price; ironic it was others posting stuff that encouraged me to begin with and I can't do that going forward for someone else. Oh well.

I brought up the number because the author made it sound like a big deal the Lion hunter has taken 70+ head of African game. Again implying somehow money is a evil thing for true hunters; cause this guy can afford something he must not be ethical true hunter.

Just because they are better off financially has nothing to do with being a sportsman (or woman, I know one who can out shoot most with a rifle; learned quite a bit from her and changed my offhand shooting skills significantly).

• Like 3

I don't even know what a RINELLA is....Must be he's on TV when I'm sleeping..Which is most of time when I am in my recliner in front of the TV... I am not much on watching fake/staged hunting shows on TV anyway...I'd rather watch  fat Italian chicks cook, or watch vintage westerns....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't even know what a RINELLA is....Must be he's on TV when I'm sleeping..Which is most of time when I am in my recliner in front of the TV... I am not much on watching fake/staged hunting shows on TV anyway...I'd rather watch  fat Italian chicks cook, or watch vintage westerns....
What about Gunga Din? Or Lonesome Dove?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Both are excellent... " Though I've flogged you and I've flayed you, by the heathen god who made you, you're a better man than I am. Gunga Din"....

" Any man who won't cheat for a POKE, don't want one bad enough"...Augustus Mc Crea "...

• Like 1

Good writer ...his Haute Cuisine was quite interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

You're entitled to your opinion, same as I'm entitled to mine. I stated mine, you stated yours. All good.

On 3/22/2019 at 5:54 PM, wolc123 said:

I am surprised that Belo, being such a big fan, is so opposed to trying any of those.    

Like I said earlier, you can like a guy and their views, without slurping up everything they do and say. It's good for us to be individuals. I draw the line with eating nuts ;)

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:53 AM, Belo said:

Rinella has never been on the outdoor channel. It should be noted that meat-eater is a brand and that Rinella himself didn't post the article. And honestly... some dudes need to be called out. Should we just ignore the amish guy who was poaching trophy bucks in ohio because he's "another hunter"? How very union of you ;)

Apples and oranges comparison, IMO. Everything I can see is that the man shot the lion fair & square, at least according to his ethics. Who proclaimed Steve Rinella or his website judge, jury, & executioner?

I haven't been in the union since 1998, so know idea what that is supposed to mean.

For someone who has such a man-crush on Steve Rinella, you are dead wrong. He absolutely DID have a television show on one of the outdoor channels, I have no idea now if he still is on TV or not.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

Rinella isn't perfect.  The draw for Rinella is that he is articulate, is verse in navigating and taming the anti-hunting crowd, and is genuine.  And by being genuine, he is also flawed...just like any other person.  I asked him once that that since his brand at the time was all about eating what he kills, what he thought about coyote hunting or even shooting European Sparrows since they're an invasive species?  His response essentially sums up to not really caring about a the death of a European Sparrow.  My other knock on Rinella is that as an ambassador to hunting, he doesn't travel much and therefor doesn't have a broader sense of different cultures.  Hard to comment on African hunting when he himself admits that he has never been to the dark continent.  Our expectations of TV/Radio personalities to being perfect is wrong.  In the end, I'm not looking for someone who agrees with me 100% but rather who seems to make more right decisions than wrong.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

For someone who has such a man-crush on Steve Rinella, you are dead wrong. He absolutely DID have a television show on one of the outdoor channels, I have no idea now if he still is on TV or not.

nope. never on the outdoor channel. He was on pursuit and the sportsman channel. 2 stations that are very different imo.

and nobody anointed him, but he is allowed to put out his content if he chooses and of course none of you have to agree or not. and yeah, keep slurping the "well it was legal" juice. The safe act is legal.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

By the way, I probably would not only shoot a sleeping lion, but I would be bragging about my stalking skills with being able to sneak up without waking him up ....... lol.

Will never get the chance to hunt Lions but I have taken 3 Deer by still hunting and getting close enough to catch them lying down. Don't know for sure if they were all sleeping but I was I pleased with being able to do it and make the shot.

Al

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:26 AM, Belo said:

nope. never on the outdoor channel. He was on pursuit and the sportsman channel. 2 stations that are very different imo.

and nobody anointed him, but he is allowed to put out his content if he chooses and of course none of you have to agree or not. and yeah, keep slurping the "well it was legal" juice. The safe act is legal.

Again, with the apples to oranges metaphors....the topic is about shooting a bedded lion, not about choosing to defend one's self in the event of a home invasion. I'm not surprised that a British newspaper is scrambling to fill content and sell advertising 8 years after the fact with sensationalism, but for a supposedly quasi-intellectual hunting celebrity to allow his "brand" to hang a hunter following the law out to dry is pretty sad, and a little elitist, IMHO. Hunting laws are in place to keep us honest, and are based partly on tradition and partly on common sense; to disparage anyone who is following the law because their ethics and traditions don't fall in line with yours is also elitist. As usual, we don't want to stick together, which will eventually be the death of our sport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Again, with the apples to oranges metaphors....the topic is about shooting a bedded lion, not about choosing to defend one's self in the event of a home invasion. I'm not surprised that a British newspaper is scrambling to fill content and sell advertising 8 years after the fact with sensationalism, but for a supposedly quasi-intellectual hunting celebrity to allow his "brand" to hang a hunter following the law out to dry is pretty sad, and a little elitist, IMHO. Hunting laws are in place to keep us honest, and are based partly on tradition and partly on common sense; to disparage anyone who is following the law because their ethics and traditions don't fall in line with yours is also elitist. As usual, we don't want to stick together, which will eventually be the death of our sport.

So it's more acceptable for you to tell me how to feel so that we can show solidarity, than it is for me to have my own thoughts and feelings as an individual? You realize that's what's wrong with this country right? I'm not anti-african hunting, but it's not something I would do myself and I don't really condone what this guy did. But I'm the bad guy? 

On 3/29/2019 at 8:52 AM, Belo said:

So it's more acceptable for you to tell me how to feel so that we can show solidarity, than it is for me to have my own thoughts and feelings as an individual? You realize that's what's wrong with this country right? I'm not anti-african hunting, but it's not something I would do myself and I don't really condone what this guy did. But I'm the bad guy? 

Not the bad guy, more like the argumentative guy. :rolleyes: But to answer your question, on the topic of individual opinions vs solidarity as hunters and gun owners, in the big picture, staying united is much more crucial. 

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 2