Taurus pistol

If your not 100% stuck on a double action,  Ruger has their single action convertible with both cylinders. I have never owned a Taurus but from what I have read on the internet if you get a good one it’s good, if you get a bad one, well  Taurus’s warranty work is sketchy at times. Good luck.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ny hunter said:

Rob I looked at the Ruger not crazy about it... I would like a DA ... Smith&Wesson is is almost a grand....

Just was doing a little research and looks like in double action its a smith or Taurus. If your not in a hurry I suppose you could look for a used smith and Wesson. 

• Like 1

There are mixed reviews on Taurus Firearms both good and bad, I own two of their stainless 22 Winchester replica rifles, I like them very much and they have been stellar in both performance and reliability.  I have seen on other forums handgun owners complaining about several models and especially about their warranty work to make things right.

A nice little double action stainless steel revolver with adjustable sights made by Charter Arms called the Pathfinder is chambered in 22 mag, they are American made and can be purchased for around $400. They are not finished like a S&W and a little rough around the edges but they are a fraction of the S&W price, still decently accurate and reliable. 

I have virtually the same gun chambered in 44 special called the Target Bulldog and I have shot it enough with my heavy handloads to give it a big thumbs up. At 24 ounces the Charter Arms target series revolvers carry nice and make for a good little trail gun.

Al

2019-03-21_075455.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

I really want a 22Mag...The Taurus comes with both... 

Got ya, the charter arms target 22 wmr looks interesting. I don’t recall reading to many if any negative reviews on chart arms revolvers. 

• Like 1

I know many don’t care for Taurus , I’ve had a da only snub ( mod 85 ) for 25 or 30 years . No issues at all and I’ve run a bit of plus P through it as well .

Its the one gun on our daughters permit, that’s how much I trust it .

At the time price was a factor, that’s not a concern today, and I’d probably go Smith today just because of so many others stories about Taurus ,which does seem to be mostly their autos though .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

Taurus ,is an interesting story , at one time owned by the parent company of Smith and Wesson,  they turned out very good guns . Shortly after they bought a Beretta factory ,complete with all of Beretta’s machines and tooling ,and they cranked out good guns .

Then they lost their way, ownership changes, out of touch with the American market ,to name but two .

Finally they decided to turn things around , hired  American engineers and others from the U.S. gun industry . The complaints dropped and the orders came flying in .

Its very much dependent upon when a Taurus was made sadly , and the crappy gun period was quite long .

I can understand some folks hesitation , and I still have some too,but by all acounts new ones are good again ,although the recent past still clouds the issue .its hard to overcome a couple decades of bad guns , I wish them success.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Taurus ,is an interesting story , at one time owned by the parent company of Smith and Wesson,  they turned out very good guns . Shortly after they bought a Beretta factory ,complete with all of Beretta’s machines and tooling ,and they cranked out good guns .

Then they lost their way, ownership changes, out of touch with the American market ,to name but two .

Finally they decided to turn things around , hired  American engineers and others from the U.S. gun industry . The complaints dropped and the orders came flying in .

Its very much dependent upon when a Taurus was made sadly , and the crappy gun period was quite long .

I can understand some folks hesitation , and I still have some too,but by all acounts new ones are good again ,although the recent past still clouds the issue .its hard to overcome a couple decades of bad guns , I wish them success.

Do you know of the rough time frame to stay away from? From what year to what year?  I honestly like the way some of their guns look but have always stayed away because of the issues and rumors. 

I don’t know , mine was from early 90’s ? Its been great but it’s a revolver . The  one thing that happened was when they bought the Beretta factory in the late ‘80s , was most of Berettas employees stayed ,but over time they left and the replacements I guess were sub par .

I would stick with new ones , if one interests you ,but I’d still have that feeling ...

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

A guy I work with recently bought a Taurus about a year ago he had nothing but headaches and eventually sold it back to the shop on a trade because it was such a piece. He vowed to never touch another Taurus again. Then he got a Glock and now a sig 365

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, The Jerkman said:

A guy I work with recently bought a Taurus about a year ago he had nothing but headaches and eventually sold it back to the shop on a trade because it was such a piece. He vowed to never touch another Taurus again. Then he got a Glock and now a sig 365

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

a revolver?