Northern lights tonite

Robhuntandfish

We will be out hoping to see it.  It’s Jenn’s bday today, and her, and I want to see the northern lights before we die, one of our biggest goals.  It would be her best gift ever to see them...

we saw an article that said as far south as NYC, and Chicago have a chance to see.  I am about 100 miles north of the city so fingers crossed

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 2

I have seen them numerous times in Alaska and Northern Canada...

The most spectacular show was at Little Marten Lake,  100s of miles north of Yellowknife in N.W.T....I have a video of them laying around somewhere...They just kept sweeping across the sky in waves....i

• Like 3

I'll be out hoping to see them tonight !  Ever since reading Jack London stories as a kid I've wanted to see them! Have see faint traces of them here a time or two over the years. Looks like a good chance tonight, in the NW sky. Fingers crossed. 

Oh and.......Happy Birthday Jen!!!  

14 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I have seen them numerous times in Alaska and Northern Canada...

The most spectacular show was at Little Marten Lake,  100s of miles north of Yellowknife in N.W.T....I have a video of them laying around somewhere...They just kept sweeping across the sky in waves....i

Yellow Knife is where my wife's family is from.I feel like a midget when we visit some big deer up there

We will be out hoping to see it.  It’s Jenn’s bday today, and her, and I want to see the northern lights before we die, one of our biggest goals.  It would be her best gift ever to see them...
we saw an article that said as far south as NYC, and Chicago have a chance to see.  I am about 100 miles north of the city so fingers crossed

Happy Birthday Jenn !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, helmut in the bush said:

What time would you see them?

To  quote helmut...What time would be an optimum time tonite to try to view them ??  I know you need to get away from the town lights, and probably a high spot without any artificial lighting would be a good place...I have a nice hilltop  in mind, far enough from the great metropolis of Dogpatch  so that I may have a chance of viewing them...

I hope I can stay up long enough....

I have been lucky enough to see them several times, the first and most vibrant was when I was a kid on my early winter am paper route amazing bright green and redwaves in the distant sky....it spooked the hell out of me until I realized what it was, then was memorized for a long time.  Back in the early nineties, they were visible overhead in CNy in the summer. I think Nasa released something for a study, which promoted it. Then about 15 years ago I was up near the James bay in early august, and we had a show. Then unfortunately it wasn't too bright...nights were too short, and the sun was barely under the horizon. 

36 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

To  quote helmut...What time would be an optimum time tonite to try to view them ??  I know you need to get away from the town lights, and probably a high spot without any artificial lighting would be a good place...I have a nice hilltop  in mind, far enough from the great metropolis of Dogpatch  so that I may have a chance of viewing them...

Article says between 10 and 2. But haven't heard otherwise. 

• Thanks 1