old man river

Porky Or Beaver??

Hiking in Sterling Forest from 9am to 11am and this Guy above and, I were walking towards each other. I had to clear my throat. I did not see a flat tail. He does not run too Fast. I think this guy was a Porky. He ran straight away from me. I don't look like Richard Gere-LOL!

I enlarged the image and I am pretty sure it is a Porky

2019-03-24_123113.png

Edited by airedale
  • Thanks 1

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

Thanks Airedale. Thought so. That is the first Live Porcupine, I have seen in the Wild. I saw a dead Porky in the road in West Milford,NJ. I was in Warwick this morning.  

oooh, good thing he was heading away....ya don't wanna enrage em! :rolleyes:

you don't see them on the ground very often, usually they are tough to notice as they are just hanging out in a tree.

Porky, no doubt.....When I was a young lad I spent many hours wrestling with hounds pulling out porcupine quills...I developed an aversion to the critters and for a number of years killed every one I saw....I also had a swordfight with one underneath a junked car using a Jap bayonet that my Dad brought back from WWII....That turned out a draw...The porky did not die and I FORTUNATELY  did not receive a face full of quills, although it was touch and go for a couple of minutes...One of the STUPIDER things that I managed to survive when I was young and dumb (er)...

I have since mellowed and only will kill one now if he presents a threat to pets or property..The last one I killed had developed a taste for the chipboard on my new tower stand...He made the mistake of coming out and grazing in my foodplot  in front of the stand when I was sitting there with my 7MM08....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 4

DaveBoone-- I had to Clear my Throat as, I was in full camo without a mask of course. Then he saw me and Turned around quick and left. As, I wrote, I don't look like Richard Gere. Plenty of good sized Limbs around and 8 years of Little League made me a good Bat swinger.  Porky kept to himself.

Porkypine for sure.

Always surprised there are any at all out there. Considering how mating must surely be a "sticky situation"!!!!!

Ouch!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hence the old expression " Nervous as a porcupine in mating season".....Hehehehe...

Just as an aside, my son- in law had two big ones in his chicken coop last week...Don't know what they were doing there, since they are vegetarians and don't eat eggs or meat...They may have been eating the chicken feed, or perhaps they were just looking for a little "love nest"....  The SIL managed to evict them peacefully, and they went on their way...

• Like 1

Like Pygmy I have had more than my fair share of unpleasant encounters with Porcupines while hunting with dogs, they will ruin your day for sure. Dogs can end up dying from getting quilled bad, the sobs are no good!

Al

2008-10-04_100540.jpg

2007-04-30_072519.jpg

2008-02-01_102010.jpg

2007-02-17_055345.jpg

8173485358_8ca275a2a4.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Sad 3

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

18 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

I never seen one. Has anyone ever see them in Dutchess county ?

Yes. Border of CT in Dover area and up near Bash Bish seen prints and quills.

Give it a name, apply human sentiment, and its no longer a wild animal its a Disney character.

Are the quills barbed ? Can you remove the quills yourself or is it better to go to the vet and have them removed under anesthesia ?

1 minute ago, Dinsdale said:

Yes. Border of CT in Dover area and up near Bash Bish seen prints and quills.

Thanks.

Hmmmmm..Porkys are so common around here, I figured it would be the same most anywhere in NY where there is mature timber..

16 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

Are the quills barbed ? Can you remove the quills yourself or is it better to go to the vet and have them removed under anesthesia ?

Yes, they are barbed...I have removed thousands of them with needle nosed pliers and sometimes tweezers, but in cases where the dog tries to shake and kill the porky, they get them all over, through the tongue, in the gums between the teeth, down the throat, etc. In these cases it is much easier ( albeit more expensive) to take Rex to the vet, have him put to sleep and then remove the quills...That's the way I did it the last few my dogs got nailed badly...The vet would put the dog to sleep, then hand me a pair of forceps and we would both pull away....If Rover only has a few quills in his muzzle, then just pull away...Keep in mind  if you hurt him he may nip you...I helped a friend de-quill his beagle one time.. The little bastard bit me three times before I finally got smart and put a dowel in his mouth and duct taped it behind his ears so he couldn't bite...

As far as quill removal goes, a lot depends on the dog...Some are very co-operative and seem to understand that you are trying to help them..Others fight you every inch of the way.. The latter are much better taken to the vet and  knocked out for the removal...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Plenty of good sized Limbs around and 8 years of Little League made me a good Bat swinger. 

LOL.........

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

Porcupines must be a relatively new Transplant in Orange County. I Hike Year round-- both on and off Trail and today was my very first Porcupine sighting. West Milford,NJ where, I saw the dead one is not far away from where, I live. I always thought Porky's were up in Maine and Canada.  This reminds me of the Trucker who said over the years he sees Armadillos moving more North all the time. 

Dan.......this one looks pretty bad, huh?

mcejGXI.jpg

• Sad 2

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

1 hour ago, ODYSSEUS said:

DaveBoone-- I had to Clear my Throat as, I was in full camo without a mask of course. Then he saw me and Turned around quick and left. As, I wrote, I don't look like Richard Gere. Plenty of good sized Limbs around and 8 years of Little League made me a good Bat swinger.  Porky kept to himself.

2 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

LOL.........

No problem there, Bill...A porcupine is as dumb as a stump, and is probably the LEAST aggressive critter you will encounter...

His  DEFENSE is pretty awesome, but you don't have to worry about that unless you attack him first....Unless you approach him and try to attack or touch him, he will never threaten you...Oh yeah..They cannot throw( launch) their quills, either...You need to deliberately touch him to get hurt, unless you corner him and he swings his tail, which they swing defensively if cornered..

• Thanks 1

I feel bad for the Dogs.. So is there actually a Predator out there that Targets Porcupines?? Not me with the Long Limb of course-- LOL! Anything that can turn them over?

6 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Dan.......this one looks pretty bad, huh?

mcejGXI.jpg

Sure does....Trip to the vet, especially due to the quills around the eyes...Poor pup...Seen too many like that...That's why I have experience shooting porkies with about ten different rifle chamberings and shotgun loads, including 30-06 ( M1 Garand) 8 x57  Mauser K98K and 00 buck in a 12 gauge, as well as .38 special, .45 ACP, LOTS with the 22 LR and others..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

I feel bad for the Dogs.. So is there actually a Predator out there that Targets Porcupines?? Not me with the Long Limb of course-- LOL! Anything that can turn them over?

Supposedly fishers will kill them...They  climb out on the underside of a limb and attack the belly of the porky where there are no quills..However, I suspect  that porkies are not their preferred, prey, however....I don't know of any other predator that could deal with an adult porcupine, including bears...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The positive side is that porcupines have a very low reproductive rate...They don't breed every year and  litters are typically only one or two  kits...However, since few things kill them other than cars, and sometimes people, they can reach some fairly high densities..I get them all the time on trailcam.Judging by the sign I see( droppings, den trees)  I would s conservatively estimate that there are two or three dozen on my 100 acres, and only about 60 acres are forested..It is prime habitat, however, being fairly  mature hardwood/hemlock mix...

• Like 2