Check your tree?

Enigma

3 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Look at the bright side. Now's a good time for a ladder stand upgrade! 

Funny thing. I never got my crap together last year and got a tripod or new ladder stand like I intended. Family circumstances kept me out of town on Sat. opening day last year. First time in 16 years I wasn't there. The first morning I hunted, Sunday, found me on the ground on a stool leaning up against the next tree on the row, in the wide open. Was there 20m and shot the biggest buck I'd ever seen on that farm at 20 yards! I dunno. Can't explain it. Sometimes it just happens. Maybe next year I won t even bother to take a gun. Maybe I ll just walk out there opening day and they'll just be a couple boxes of frozen venison waiting for me lol. Always fortunate. Some years are easier than others.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Hmm, I like burning ash. Burns hot and leaves good coals. So easy to split, and I like the smell of it burning. If I didn't still have tons of dead, standing ash, I'd come help you out!

Ash makes some great project wood also. Wish I had some black ash on the farm to make bushel baskets.

Many ash in my yard and all around me . Here’s some pics , fairly infected, healthy , some infection , the pretty infected one may still bud out this year and stand for a few more based on watching others .

Youll see the bark do this long before it’s dead . With treatments you can bring them back as long as they have half their canopy still .

C6161C07-922A-440E-8A6F-7C31E9097EDA.jpeg

9136703A-BA45-48D5-A3C3-C9D9C1B09655.jpeg

D78605D9-C943-4B02-AA81-7EC32B4A2B1F.jpeg

Edited by Nomad

If you are in a stand with emerald ash borer mortality, don't just be careful with your tree stands, but also be careful with ground stands and blinds. The trees often just collapse, with limbs, tops and stems breaking up and falling even when there is very little wind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Many ash in my yard and all around me . Here’s some pics , fairly infected, healthy , some infection , the pretty infected one may still bud out this year and stand for a few more based on watching others .

Youll see the bark do this long before it’s dead . With treatments you can bring them back as long as they have half their canopy still .

C6161C07-922A-440E-8A6F-7C31E9097EDA.jpeg

9136703A-BA45-48D5-A3C3-C9D9C1B09655.jpeg

D78605D9-C943-4B02-AA81-7EC32B4A2B1F.jpeg

I have numerous ash trees that look exactly like that top pic. Usually get a year or two after that shows up and then it’s dead.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:39 AM, grampy said:

Thankfully it didn't happen in November!!!!!       :fie:

Looks like you have a couple other trees close by though, to keep that spot a #1 .

It would've been a heluva ride though!