School me on propane grills

Moho81

It’s time to replace our old sears kenmore propane grill. No joke it’s from the 80’s. It use to be my grandparents and has been through hell and back with nothing but needing new burners a few times since I got it in 06.

I don’t want to drop huge cash on something I’m thinking $400 or less. Needs to be decently big with a side burner.

What’s the deal on IR heating?

What brands should I stay away from?

Any hidden gems in the grill world I might not know about?

Just buy something from a box store in my budget and call it a day?

5e4bd06302e56dd8a6ef9f6c3e89ecf1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s time to replace our old sears kenmore propane grill. No joke it’s from the 80’s. It use to be my grandparents and has been through hell and back with nothing but needing new burners a few times since I got it in 06.

I don’t want to drop huge cash on something I’m thinking $400 or less. Needs to be decently big with a side burner.

5e4bd06302e56dd8a6ef9f6c3e89ecf1.jpg&key=79c74540a474c7cf41e4185023a8c142097e0d1a461539211609136b91aab9a5

Wow.....! Thats throwback right there!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

5e4bd06302e56dd8a6ef9f6c3e89ecf1.jpg

Reliably grilling burgers since the Reagan administration!  LOL

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I just can't see spending  $1000 on a top of the line Weber.

I usually go to Home Depot at the end of the summer, and get a deal on a $400 grill for $200.  Get about 5 years out of them, then replace. 

I remember having that same grill posted, MANY years ago!

• Like 8

I'm in the same boat. My Weber propane went down a few weeks back. I either need to spend $150-$200 bucks replacing all the burner system and flame guards or buy a new grill.

I'm looking at this.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-Memphis-Ultimate-4-in-1-Gas-Charcoal-Smoker/446354238

Not sure yet. If you are looking for a deal on a cheap Gas check your local Walmart's they are clearing all old models. I saw a Chargrill for like $79 bucks a couple weeks ago.

I usually go to Home Depot at the end of the summer, and get a deal on a $400 grill for $200.  Get about 5 years out of them, then replace. 

Buy a Weber once and you won’t ever need to replace it. I keep mine covered when not in use and swap out the flavor grill bars or whatever you call them every few years. I use mine 2-3x a week even throughout the winter. Weber’s don’t die

• Like 6

grill models are like one off products. by the time they die they're junk. can't get parts and so you're forced to buy new. some people have this complex where their grill needs to be hooked up to their smart phone or has to be stainless steel (news flash other parts that aren't still rot out).  i got a Char-Griller Duo that has lasted over 10 years and it's still fine. It's a monster so it stays outside all year long.  i can still get parts when something rots out. it gets nice and hot too. i can bring it up to almost 600 degrees in the dead of winter in no time.  they have other simpler models too that are priced right with other grills. i can't justify spending $1,000 on a grill like some people. $200-350 on a no frills good quality grill that you can get parts for is where it's at! Go with a Char-griller

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

If they offer to assemble it for you. Nod and say yes please !

i put my CharGriller Duo together in the living room and shit you not it consumed the room and then i was worried about getting it out of the house.  assembly should be thought about in both time and on rare occasion feasibility.

I wont say or tell ya what to purchase except if your gonna do a lot of grilling then a second tank of propane ready to change while cooking is the best advice.Biz I also have a weber never covered and works great to myself a cover on a grill is like a guy at work with his hands stuffed in his pockets useless.

26 minutes ago, grampy said:

X2.    I hate fixing and replacing parts.  Decent grill on sale and repeat as needed.  $200 on a charbroil seem to cook fine.  Big surface with the extra stuff.  

• Like 4

I'm in the same boat. My Weber propane went down a few weeks back. I either need to spend $150-$200 bucks replacing all the burner system and flame guards or buy a new grill.
I'm looking at this.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-Memphis-Ultimate-4-in-1-Gas-Charcoal-Smoker/446354238
Not sure yet. If you are looking for a deal on a cheap Gas check your local Walmart's they are clearing all old models. I saw a Chargrill for like $79 bucks a couple weeks ago.

Dang that’s a lot of grill for that price. Way more than I need

I wont say or tell ya what to purchase except if your gonna do a lot of grilling then a second tank of propane ready to change while cooking is the best advice.Biz I also have a weber never covered and works great to myself a cover on a grill is like a guy at work with his hands stuffed in his pockets useless.

I have 3 tanks at the house just in case. I get them filled at the Reservation for about 9 buck each.

36 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

One word.....Weber

Bite the bullet and you and you’re entire family will be thrilled.   

I agree. No doubt Weber is top of the line. But.......I get a nice NEW grill every few years for 20-25 years, for the price of ONE Weber.   :dontknow:

And I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a venison burger cooked on a Weber or an on sale cheapie.

• Like 3

Keeps the color from fading

Consider the grill a tool. Buy the cheap one every couple of years and hope that it works when needed, or drop the coin on one that will definitely last and is known to be reliable for years if not decades. I've never owned a gas grill, but as a contractor I've always been careful about buying tools and tend to own the best.

• Like 2

I agree. No doubt Weber is top of the line. But.......I get a nice NEW grill every few years for 20-25 years, for the price of ONE Weber.   :dontknow:
And I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a venison burger cooked on a Weber or an on sale cheapie.

But the Weber still looks brand new at 25 years old and it’s piece of mind that you can always grill. If my grill died, I’d have to pay rush delivery. No way I can go more than a day or two without grilling

• Like 2