School me on propane grills

Moho81

Folks grilling with charcoal aren't grilling 3-4 times a week I'm willing to bet.

Sure you can't beat the taste of charbroiled dogs or steaks and Ted's has proved that over the years.  You know, I do love riding horses but I'll stick with the Tacoma for daily use. :)

Also....I don't want OR need the aggravation that a cheaper propane grill will give me after just a few years.  When I want to grill, I want to grill.  Walk out on the deck and hit the button and be grilling in 10 minutes.

My current grill is (IIRC) about 12 years old.  It came to me in a odd way.......I told a friend who has a connection with a Weber dealer that I was going to buy a new Weber.  He said he'd check with his buddy and see what he had for trade-ins.  I got the 12 year old grill that was in excellent condition other than the grates.  I paid nothing for the grill (Thanks TM) but ordered the grates from the dealer.  STELLAR condition grill and who knows how many more years I'll get out of it.  It's a Weber Gold Series3 burner with the side burner.  The grill I had before that lasted 14 years I think, I don't recall the name of the company who manufactured it but they were owned by Napoleon. I think it was Ultra chef? It was great and even in its last days was still grilling perfect.  The problem was it had lost 2/4 wheels and was sitting on bricks.  :)  It was an expensive grill and worth every penny, IMO. And of course, YMMV

Sahlen's for dinner tonight??  Just maybe they are............

• Like 2

What you need 5 burners for? I got 3 and cook for parties of 20-30 people easily. Especially if you’re doing something simple like dogs and burgers.

e9ab7e62a67ee2777a2745aea298ed6f.jpg&key=a516594f855af8ec7569a1d1bdb46ca70001ea8237d7ee900f891eab96e84f1c

There’s way more room than you think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you find it hard to have different heat zones with only 3 burners? It’s why I’m thinking more burners equals better but I may be wrong.

I have a char broil commercial IR. The IR is amazing. Some hate it, I love it. Cooks evenly, faster and no flare ups, ever. I obviously got it at Lowe's. Mine was a scratch and dent that was discounted. Big surface area and easy to keep clean. If you want, bring some steaks over and cook them up. You can make it home before they get cold. She's out back and always on standby.

I will watch for a scratch and dent if you like, and NO I will not scratch or dent one.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

I have had a Weber for 13 years now (same one as Biz I think), replaced the things over the burners once and that’s it. 

No need for more burners imo, I have slow cooked and smoked foods on mine and never had a problem controlling temps. 

More burners=more propane

@$700 and that’s it, probably never buy another grill. 

• Like 1

I have a char broil commercial IR. The IR is amazing. Some hate it, I love it. Cooks evenly, faster and no flare ups, ever. I obviously got it at Lowe's. Mine was a scratch and dent that was discounted. Big surface area and easy to keep clean. If you want, bring some steaks over and cook them up. You can make it home before they get cold. She's out back and always on standby.

I will watch for a scratch and dent if you like, and NO I will not scratch or dent one.

Can I cook those steaks up while wearing crocs and a stained wife beater t-shirt while drinking a Bush Light? I need the full grilling experience in order to form an opinion.

Seriously though keep your eye open for a scratch and dent and also send me that roof quote.

• Haha 1

Mine has 5 burners ,a side IR searing burner and a IR burner for using the rotisserie burner. I usually fire that one up in the winter to help get the temps up . It has a large folding table off the side that is incredibly handy when grilling. I got mine at Lowe's or depot. Can't remember which place. I didnt care as much about the build quality because it get stored indoors. I love it except for 2 of the wheels fell off. The brand name is master forge ,I can't say how it would hold up being stored outside though.

55008d1f7f6c1-master-forge-5-burner-liquid-propane-gas-grill-6554-mdn.jpg

Edited by Jeremy K

31 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Do you find it hard to have different heat zones with only 3 burners? It’s why I’m thinking more burners equals better but I may be wrong.

My Weber has 3 burners. No problems setting up two or even three zones. The flame control on the Webers is excellent.

Can I cook those steaks up while wearing crocs and a stained wife beater t-shirt while drinking a Bush Light? I need the full grilling experience in order to form an opinion.

Seriously though keep your eye open for a scratch and dent and also send me that roof quote.

I wouldn't have it any other way. In fact the neighbors may not even notice it's not me......

Roof estimate coming today.

• Like 2

bought a Char-Broil 2 burner propane grill last year. While staying in Florida, the unit we rented had a 2 burner Char-broil, similar to what we used, so I bought one at the local Ace hardware. Unless you have lots of people over, the 2 burner works good enough for us. Bought it for roughly $200.

I jumped on the Weber band wagon probably 6 or 7 years ago. I kept purchasing super cheap grills and in two years they were junk so then I bought a stainless charbroiler thinking I purchased a good grill. I believe it was $400 bucks and in 3 years it was all pitted, the grates were cracked and the burners rotted out. I was really annoyed about that. I told myself I was buying a Weber this time since my Dad has had a weber for 20+ years and it has always looked and performed flawlessly. My wife and I went to Lowes looking to buy a low end Weber...Cheapest was too small...another $100 and you get this another $100 you get that another $100 you get a side burner. I went into Lowes with the intention of spending $500 or less and walked out with a $1000 stainless Weber with a side burner, searing station etc. I remember thinking I need to have my head examined and actually felt a little sick to my stomach that I had made the purchase. That is a lot of money to me, especially to drop on a grill. I don't think about the money anymore but the grill looks and operates just like it did its first summer and I see know reason why that won't continue for years to come. My fathers Weber is approaching 30 years old now and is operating just fine. The sides and handle were wood back than and we replaced them a few years back. Good for another 20 years! If you can swing it, and I understand it is a lot of $$$....go with the Weber

• Like 3

I went through this quest a few years back. Most all of the “common” grills out there are Chicom pos throw-away’s. My search terminated at BBQ Guys where I bought aTEC IR grill. It has been perfect. The grill plates sit on glass (like a cook top stove). It gets very hot and cooks wonderfully. It’s made in USA with quality stainless steel... not the box store cheap crap. The company stands behind their product also. During my last Florida hurricane, a big tree limb fell onto the grill. It broke the glass and bent a grate. I had new replacements (free) within days. Highly recommended.

12 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Here are a few right in the ball park range your looking for. 7058f109317f8b94f0efeb33514a82d2.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I have the prior genesis model of that 699 one, by far the best ,most durable ,solid built and best grilling grill I've ever had. The warden was hesitant on us buying it but even she is sold. Kiss the charbroile and brinkmann good bye and try a Weber. 

• Like 2

I will say that the $699 Weber model in that Lowe's ad is a far cry in quality from what they used to be.  Lots of plastics on that model including the wheels.  Leave that out in the elements for a couple of years and you'll have a limping grill.  The old ones may have been great, but these days you have to go into the $1,000 plus range in price to get the quality you used to get in the cheaper Weber models. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, sbuff said:

I have the prior genesis model of that 699 one, by far the best ,most durable ,solid built and best grilling grill I've ever had. The warden was hesitant on us buying it but even she is sold. Kiss the charbroile and brinkmann good bye and try a Weber. 

Thats the one I had for 18 years. Changed the guts once for around $70. I should have bought another one but I bought this and the igniters are already going, the drawers fill up with water, etc

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/3-embers-4-burner-gas-grill-with-radiant-embers-cooking-system

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Just checked with the “ house ,store guy “ ( buys the stuff firehouse needs) our last Webber was 14 years old ,when he replaced it . That’s 14 years of pretty hard use too .

in all honesty the best thing for a grill is to use it. if it sits it'll rot. i don't care what it is.

image.png.22616114a10ca2275c1f9242dfb588ea.png

My grill of choice for the last 35 years. 14" Weber Smokey Joe. I'm on my third one because I left the first one at my cabin in Alfred. The second one was stolen from my porch in Buffalo. Something larger would be required to feed more than two or three people, though.

• Like 1

Just pulled the sales receipt and booklet , I bought my Weber 4 years ago,$399 assembled and delivered. Can’t compare it to,older ones as ive never owned one prior , but so far so good and warranty seems good .

6F4E8FD6-EC60-4337-88C9-64A510F65DF8.png

5 hours ago, steve863 said:

I will say that the $699 Weber model in that Lowe's ad is a far cry in quality from what they used to be.  Lots of plastics on that model including the wheels.  Leave that out in the elements for a couple of years and you'll have a limping grill.  The old ones may have been great, but these days you have to go into the $1,000 plus range in price to get the quality you used to get in the cheaper Weber models. 

1000% agree with the above statement. The old stuff wasn't half bad. The new stuff is total crap.

$1000 for a grill. Screw that.  Been without one for 5-6 years now and will continue without.  The cheap ones weren’t lasting more than a few years   Lose lose situation. 

No grill = I die