Coexisting with hikers

goosifer

Good Thread Goosifer. I am a Hunter/ Hiker. I have plenty of interaction with Hikers. Plenty of them do not want to share Public Lands with Hunters. Add in the large Mountain Bike groups and Horseback riders as well.  Increasingly, I see Hikers out and about before Sunrise. You probably read my Thread Yesterday-- A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words. A sign letting Hikers know of Hunting Dates and the importance of bright colors was Ripped Down by a Hiker.

How do you know that sign was ripped down by a hiker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Good Thread Goosifer. I am a Hunter/ Hiker. I have plenty of interaction with Hikers. Plenty of them do not want to share Public Lands with Hunters. Add in the large Mountain Bike groups and Horseback riders as well.  Increasingly, I see Hikers out and about before Sunrise. You probably read my Thread Yesterday-- A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words. A sign letting Hikers know of Hunting Dates and the importance of bright colors was Ripped Down by a Hiker.

Tell me about it ,   this is the main reason I like take down rifles  that you can backpack in ,so you can get in and out of the parking lot with not dealing with hikers who often give you dirty looks when they know you are hunting . Even if most the public does not object to hunting a lot   really don't want to see you  with a rifle in the parking lot of public lands  that they are planning to hike in , if you can hide it from hikers bikers none hunters  it is just better for everyone. A  lot of  People get scared just  by seeing guns in today's world  . It is what it is .

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 2

Had a run in with the ll beaner types 20 years ago in the Adirondacks. Early muzzleloader  season . Had early success  was dragging deer back to truck when 6 leaf gawkers  come up and started on me .  I reminded them that I payed for the privilege  to hunt and there was at least 4 more hunters in the woods with me . They had a few choice words for me and left . We may be consumptive  users but we pay for the privilege they dont. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

Tell me about it ,   this is the main reason I like take down rifles  that you can backpack in ,so you can get in and out of the parking lot with not dealing with hikers who often give you dirty looks when they know you are hunting . Even if most the public does not object to hunting a lot   really don't want to see you  with a rifle in the parking lot of public lands  that they are planning to hike in , if you can hide it from hikers bikers none hunters  it is just better for everyone. A  lot of  People get scared just  by seeing guns in today's world  . It is what it is .

I refuse to hide the fact that I am a hunter. On public land, I won't hunt right on a hiking trail. But if someone has an issue with me being seen with a gun or bow in my hand, that's their problem. I have as much right to be there as they do. I don't intend to infringe on their activity, they shouldn't infringe on mine. Don't disparage my camo and hunting implement, and I won't make fun of your stupid looking hiking and biking shorts! 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, grampy said:

I refuse to hide the fact that I am a hunter. On public land, I won't hunt right on a hiking trail. But if someone has an issue with me being seen with a gun or bow in my hand, that's their problem. I have as much right to be there as they do. I don't intend to infringe on their activity, they shouldn't infringe on mine. Don't disparage my camo and hunting implement, and I won't make fun of your stupid looking hiking and biking shorts! 

I agree with you  %100 but the reality is  hunting on public land is  not a right  like having a  gun . There is no right to hunt in the constitution,  Keep this in mind .

If hikers and bikers complain enough that they don't feel safe with us around and some psycho politician thinks it is going to help him get votes . They  can ban us from places ,    I know a few public lands   that restrict hunters to certain hours and areas already why help them add more to that list. 

If there are complaints Politicians  can get  hunters  pushed out from certain public lands  so why advertise it unless you have to .  I have seen people complaining to cops just  because someone was walking  in town  with a planet of apes  costume carrying  a toy rifle  dressed  up  for Halloween . Lots of people these days are scared of guns it's just the reality of the world we live in . Out of sit out of mind better for everyone just my opinion,  do what you want but it only take one bad confrontation with those people and a complaint to get a place shut down from hunters or made to be restricted in access, It can happen.

Edited by Storm914

3 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Had a run in with the ll beaner types 20 years ago in the Adirondacks. Early muzzleloader  season . Had early success  was dragging deer back to truck when 6 leaf gawkers  come up and started on me .  I reminded them that I payed for the privilege  to hunt and there was at least 4 more hunters in the woods with me . They had a few choice words for me and left . We may be consumptive  users but we pay for the privilege they dont. 

Who want to deal with those types, like I really want to have a  morality conversation with one of these Greenpeace people their nuts I'd rather just do my  hunting in in peace if possible  do it without them even knowing about it .  I rather avoid confrontation with them all together . There have been incidents where these people try to start with hunters  on purpose in the past  to try and make hunters look bad  . I rather get in and out of public land with out those types knowing i am there or hunting .

Those granola eating   spandex wearing  people are not to be trusted  . 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

I never really had a problem on Public Land besides the Dirty looks. That's a part of life. I wear Camo hats and clothing everywhere and just about everyday.  Camo pants on right now. 

I’m wearing a camo thong backwards today. Not one single person has judged me ...yet :party:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

About 3 years back in late May, I bagged a nice ol Gobbler . I was down in Sterling Forest and walking out with my prize. I forgot my Tote and had him over my Shoulder. I was parked off of RT. 72 and there must have been a accident as the connecting road, I was on was loaded with cars. A very slow moving mass of cars on a road that is always empty. I believe, I had Facepaint on as well as masks heat me up too much in late May. So, I come walking down the Hill on the Trail  motorists had nothing to do but Stare in disbelief. Pissed off Looks from Business men in suits on their cellphones to  Frightened Looks from Soccer Mom's in SUVs like Santa Fees.  I forgot about that facepaint- LOL!  OF course Full camo too. I don't know-- maybe, I looked like a medium height Bigfoot in my 2xl camo shirt coming out of the woods with Dinner over my shoulder. Only one Dude said-- great Gobbler! 

We live in the time of recreational outrage Bill , I drove 2 deer home on the hitch hauler of my wifes Explorer this past season , one lady was going out of her way to cringe and hide her eyes as if to put on a show and another lady gave a toot and a thumbs up . I'll start bringing a small tarp to wrap the deer in from now on.  Everyone is looking for reason to be offended these days . 

• Like 3

On 3/26/2019 at 8:07 PM, ODYSSEUS said:

About 3 years back in late May, I bagged a nice ol Gobbler . I was down in Sterling Forest and walking out with my prize. I forgot my Tote and had him over my Shoulder. I was parked off of RT. 72 and there must have been a accident as the connecting road, I was on was loaded with cars. A very slow moving mass of cars on a road that is always empty. I believe, I had Facepaint on as well as masks heat me up too much in late May. So, I come walking down the Hill on the Trail  motorists had nothing to do but Stare in disbelief. Pissed off Looks from Business men in suits on their cellphones to  Frightened Looks from Soccer Mom's in SUVs like Santa Fees.  I forgot about that facepaint- LOL!  OF course Full camo too. I don't know-- maybe, I looked like a medium height Bigfoot in my 2xl camo shirt coming out of the woods with Dinner over my shoulder. Only one Dude said-- great Gobbler! 

Reminds me of hunting my friends place up in the Finger lakes about  10 years ago... Lake Seneca to be exact. About five of us are all in the woods... one friend comes out onto the Private road to see that a curious couple decided to take a ride down that icy dirt road and got Stuck. So he calls on the radio for all of us to help..... Next thing you know... here come five guys in Camo with Guns walking over to their Car!  The look on their faces!!!  lol   We found out they were German too... Ha Europeans!  

We of course were nice and pushed their car out... I hope they gained some knowledge that day.

• Like 2

Only time ill cover a deer is if its a big buck and I dont want people knowing where I shot it. Thats only becasue I want to minimize the risks of trespassers or if its on public land. I honestly couldnt care less if people don't like the look of a dead deer, because ill never see those people again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFA-ADK said:

I will never cover my deer, unless a homeowner demands it!  As a matter of fact I place them so everyone can see!  I don't care if they are offended, I take offense to them being offended. 

True... the more you hide it.... the less people see it... and the more offended people will be when they actually do!  Show off them Deer!

• Like 1