The Gout

Lawdwaz

Not sure if it's what I have but the symptoms all point to it.  Holy fork is it painful..........

Started after dinner last night and got real bad at bedtime.  All night it was painful and felt like it was burning. Walking with a bad limp now, heading to the accountant soon then I'll call the DR.........boned twice in one day, good times. :)

• Sad 2

If it feels like a broken big toe and someone jiggling around a huge needle in that joint, it’s probably gout.   Hurts bad.   Starting loadin up on ibuprofen.   It will help.  If you have it, putting a shoe on is near impossible.   I don’t get it much anymore but indomethicine turns it around in a few days.  But ibuprofen works in a pinch. 

I have LOTS of experience with the gout...I am currently on a daily med called allopurinol, and that prevents it...Prior to getting on that med, I suffered through numerous gout attacks....I I was on crutches for a week or more at a time on several occasions...I have had attacks in both feet, both knees and my right wrist...The one place I have never had an attackis in the first joint of the big toe, which is the most common place to be affected...It can develop in ANY joint, however

Ibuprofen helps, but the last two times I have had bad attacks, the doc treated it with Prednisone...That knocked it out pronto, far and away better and faster than any other remedy... Good luck, Larry...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Alcohol is a major contributing factor also, but most guys would prefer death before they'd be willing to give that up.  LOL

I will say after I quit drinking, the attacks nearly went away with only a very sporadic attack every few years.  That said, my buddy who is uber healthy and a marathon runner needs maintenance meds like Pygmy.  Some folks just build up that uric acid that causes the attacks.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 3

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling up to snuff Larry. My hunting partner suffers with the gout, as well as a couple other guys I know. All say it's excruciating!!  They tell me cutting alcohol and certain shellfish, like shrimp and scallops, along with other dietary changes, helps to cut down on the flair ups. Hope you feel better soon my friend.

30 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I will say after I quit drinking, the attacks nearly went away with only a very sporadic attack every few years.  That said, my buddy who is uber healthy and a marathon runner needs maintenance meds like Pygmy.  Some folks just build up that uric acid that causes the attacks.

I did read that sports and energy drinks, the type that marathoners and other endurance athletes often drink can also cause buildup of uric acid and trigger gout, so that may be just as bad as alcohol.

Gout is horribly painful. I know. A past girlfriend told me that for her it was like going through childbirth for endless hours. She was familiar with both conditions. I know what causes it, but I have no idea why it just suddenly appears and then disappears. I've changed nothing about my lifestyle or eating habits since my last bout with it some 17 years ago. That episode was on the day that I was installing 1000 SF of hardwood flooring in a restaurant. There was no option to back out or move the contract date and I remember having tears in my eyes all day. It's not fun.

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I have LOTS of experience with the gout...I am currently on a daily med called allopurinol, and that prevents it...Prior to getting on that med, I suffered through numerous gout attacks....I I was on crutches for a week or more at a time on several occasions...I have had attacks in both feet, both knees and my right wrist...The one place I have never had an attackis in the first joint of the big toe, which is the most common place to be affected...It can develop in ANY joint, however

Ibuprofen helps, but the last two times I have had bad attacks, the doc treated it with Prednisone...That knocked it out pronto, far and away better and faster than any other remedy... Good luck, Larry...

We must be brothers from a different mother.  

My gout is very similar to yours. Knees, ankles, wrist, elbows and toes.  

Yrs ago I was hospitalized because of attacks that were so severe. 

Those that have never had gout, your lucky.  The weight of a bed sheet on your big toe feels like someone is hitting it with a sledgehammer. 

My trigger is seafood. But if I eat too much venison, I'll get a attack.  

I definitely don't forget to take my daily meds, and have a supply of meds on hand if I get an attack. 

Good luck Lawdwaz.  Hope you feel better soon.  

• Like 1

No official diagnosis YET.  Saw Dr yesterday afternoon; she had me go get XRay as soon as I left her office, prescribed an antibiotic (she though there was a possibility of an infection) and set up a blood test for this morning.  Ne results from the XRay yet and that doesn't thrill me.  They should have the blood work result tomorrow I'd bet. 

Today was rough, not as bad as yesterday though.  In the past hour or so it actually is somewhat less painful. 

For you guys that have had gout, how long do the symptoms last?

(it's been approx. 48 hours)

Edited by Lawdwaz

The antibiotic would be " just in case" for infection...Sure won't help the gout...

Blood test may be inconclusive  due to the fact that during the attack, the uric acid is concentrated in the affected area and your general uric acid level as shown by a blood draw may be normal..That is one reason why my gout was mis-diagnosed   during my first few attacks.. The only real test is to draw from fluid from the inflamed joint  and examine it for uric acid crystals..As left field said, it is a memorable experience that  you'd rather not experience twice...

As for duration, most of my gout attacks lasted well over a week...Only the last two, which were treated with prednisone,  were over in 3 or 4 days,  and  improvement occurred literally in a matter of hours... Good luck, Larry....