Keeping ducks, someone please talk me out of it

The_Real_TCIII

I hear theyre an absolute mess to raise. My grandparents had 2 geese when they lived upstate a long time ago, and those were some of the best guard animals around. They would honk and actually run up to any car that would come up the drive way, but would stop once they saw someone they knew. I would go up everyso often and those things recognized me every time. I don't remember them being messy to be honest, but it was a long time ago. Coyote got them both one night in the winter though. 

23 hours ago, zag said:

It will be fun for the kids, but yeah more work for you especially in the winter months. We lucked out 2 different times at tractor supply with ducks. We got some yrs ago and they were mallards. Raised them all spring and summer. About mid summer they started to learn how to fly and would fly all around the house it was pretty cool, then one day they took off and never came back which worked out perfectly. Next spring we did it again and same thing happened. We never did it again and take no longer could sell mallards.

I raised the mallards also... they too eventually flew away.  Chickens and turkeys are where it's at.  Raised a bunch of meat birds for the freezer and several turkeys.  The turkeys were the absolute best tasting bird I have had.  I would talk the kids out of ducks and go for a few turkeys.   I could let the turkeys free range around the farm on their own and they became quite tame... they would sit behind the trucks once in a while and refuse to move... I would have to literally pick them up and move them ... good times 

16 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Im actually considering the mallards now, she gets to hang with them for a while and then they fly away, win win

I'd say that's a perfect idea and mid summer while your having a cold one on the deck they will entertain you with fly overs

• Like 1

Ducks are messy and smelly we hatched our own and it was great after 8 weeks of them in the house because they need heat till all the feathers come in . The can't just drink the water they have to see if they can get every pine chip wet. Peep all night long because you have a heat lamp on them so they don't sleep. Oh and when they go outside it is not all fun and games either every part of your lawn becomes a mud hole they dig every where.oh you say you'll keep them in a pen . Lol not with kids around . They have good things like they eggs are yummy . Oh and we had a Drake and hen and the Drake was a prick . When he learnt the he was here for the girls  no one was safe he bite our ups man lol he said he thought he would be bite by a dog never thought a duck lolol. But my daughter loved them and they loved her.

FB_IMG_1531775371473.jpg

FB_IMG_1531775203821.jpg

• Like 3