Tonight’s Powerball

Water Rat

Quick question, if you were to win could you move to another state with no state tax and waited to cash it in would you still be liable to pay nys tax? Or would you have to pay tax on whatever state you bought it in?
NY would never let you get away. Ever.

But, legality wise I'm sure it would fall where you resided. Good luck !!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Cory said:

Quick question, if you were to win could you move to another state with no state tax and waited to cash it in would you still be liable to pay nys tax? Or would you have to pay tax on whatever state you bought it in?

My guess is N.Y. would make sure they got their cut before you ever see yours.

30 minutes ago, Cory said:

You owe NYS. I researched that years ago , along with forming an llc 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cory said:

no most people try to do that and it doesn't work NY gets their cut and then the other state depending on how you get taxed in that state (purchased assets, income, etc.).

You have to turn the ticket in in the state it was purchased and pay the tax due for that state.

The reason I know this is last spring when the powerball was big, I was in Florida on vacation and bought some tickets.  When I got home and checked I had won a decent amount of money.  I ended up taking another trip down later in the year to fish and turned my ticket in.

Don't worry when I win you can all come hunting at my place that will be loaded with deer!  Best part about lotto is thinking about how you would spend all that money!  One thing is for sure I would have lots of land to hunt!  

Talk about setting up plots!  That would be my new full time job!  So many you would have no clue where to hunt, lol.  Call it Jeff's fun farm!  :cheese::crazy: