Worms/Crawlers

Dom

I know that these days most use artificial bait.How do the ones that use live worms keep them?I stopped to a store yesterday and crawlers are 3.75 a dozen+tax there is know way I'm paying tax on worms.

I know that these days most use artificial bait.How do the ones that use live worms keep them?I stopped to a store yesterday and crawlers are 3.75 a dozen+tax there is know way I'm paying tax on worms.
They charge tax now? I remember the best nightcrawlers I ever had were Canadian night crawlers those suckers were massive! And lived for a long time on the hook too

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

They charge tax now? I remember the best nightcrawlers I ever had were Canadian night crawlers those suckers were massive! And lived for a long time on the hook too

They are trying to charge Tax but not sure they can on a food source/farm raised.

5 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Are you referring to the ones that Stewart's sells ? Those are the best ones I've found. Just keep them refrigerated and add some coffee grounds.

4 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

But is it technically a human food source? Maybe for some that enjoy gross things

Yes for some eat them.Nothing more organic than a earth worm.

Are you referring to the ones that Stewart's sells ? Those are the best ones I've found. Just keep them refrigerated and add some coffee grounds.
I used to get mine over by candlewood lake probably 15+ years ago now. Came in a square styrofoam box instead of the usual KFC mashed potatoes style thing

3 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

Yep thats the place.I agree good ones but still I'm not paying taxes on them.

3 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

I used to get mine over by candlewood lake probably 15+ years ago now. Came in a square styrofoam box instead of the usual KFC mashed potatoes style thing

Thats only 20min drive for me.

The big nightcrawlers are pretty easy to catch on wet nights with a red flashlight. You need to be quick, of course, but it's not hard to catch several dozen in an hour or so. I did it when I was a kid and then sold them for something like 25 cents a dozen if I recall. A little bit of potting soil and a bunch of peat moss or sphagnum moss in a cooler was the bedding. Corn starch or very fine corn meal was the food sprinkled on top. Then the cooler goes into the refrigerator of course. A few hours in a big yard after a rainstorm will get you enough 'crawlers to last for a season. Good luck this year!

• Like 5

Used to go crawler picking at night when I was a kid. We would get these metal tins from a local fish fry place that their fish got delivered in. The tins were about 16"x12"x5" deep. Poke some holes in the top for ventilation, tape a piece of screen over so flies could not get in and fill with that worm bedding material that was just ground up newspapers. Kept in a cool dry place - our basement or just put under the trailer when camping. We would replenish with freshly picked worms occasionally, toss in some coffee grounds couple times a week and they would keep all season. Now we just buy them.....

Be sure to ask for permission first no matter where you go. There's a good chance that "picking worms" is illegal in some areas as well. :sorry:Does it require a hunting license or a fishing license? There might even be something official called a "worming license". If you're a 12 year old professional wormer do they just confiscate all of what you earned, like they do with "unlicensed" lemonade stands? Just curious.

Put a piece of red cellophane over your flashlight and pick as many as you need wherever you have permission to pick 'em.

I prefer using live worms over the fakes, I've had much better luck, plus my 6 year old likes the worms.  We store them in one of these worm boxes and that stays in the garage fridge when its really hot out.  Honestly I prefer the Canadian crawlers, I usually grab them over at Gander Outdoors(this last season anyways), and had great luck with them, break one in half and good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Intruder-NightCrawler-Packed-Lively-Bedding/dp/B07BQ5B7QC/ref=asc_df_B07BQ5B7QC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312031058067&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3069849510371558630&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005078&hvtargid=pla-569112011024&psc=1

Dang !!… That is just slicker than a finger in the a** !!...I'll have to get me some walnuts and try that...

I know Clorox works, ( my Mom used to use a wringer clothes washer out doors) but the walnuts would be more environmently friendly... Thanks for sharing, Tacks !

Dang !!… That is just slicker than a finger in the a** !!...I'll have to get me some walnuts and try that...
I know Clorox works, ( my Mom used to use a wringer clothes washer out doors) but the walnuts would be more environmently friendly... Thanks for sharing, Tacks !

Wear gloves, those things will stain your hands for all eternity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dad at golf course had some battery operated  probe he’d stick in ground to check worm content per square foot of golf course tee box.  Once it was turned on  them crawlers would fly out of the ground. Had to use them next day as central nervous system all buggered up and would  die soon