They are banning plastic bags now

Hunter007

1 minute ago, left field said:

I haven't gone too deep into this but on the surface, I'm all for it. I've been to too many countries and oceans where single-use plastic is devastating the environment. 

How about people just pick up there crap and throw it in the garbage . 

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

How about people just pick up there crap and throw it in the garbage . 

Have you considered putting your name forward for Sec of the Interior? I'm sure the current administration would appreciate that kind of straightforward no-nonsense approach to environmental issues.

• Like 1

Btw their will be a new tax for brown paper bags every time you get one. This state is broke and trying to milk every last cent out us hard honest working folk. Keep letting in the illegals to live for free off of our tax money! And that asshole cuomo wonders why people are leaving in droves!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

George Carlin called this years ago, you’ll enjoy this .

Wegmans said the number of plastic bags that come In 1 tractor trailer load, it would take 7 trailers to bring the same number of paper bags .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

Plastic will end up killing us all. Especially us as outdoors people should be aware what plastic particles are doing to the food chain. Especially fish and birds. The phrase don't shit where you eat comes to mind.

I'm all for it. 

• Like 1

I can see stores  just paying the 5 cents themselves  and giving them out free to costumers anyway. 

No way that’s a tax the state gets the money. I’m in Suffolk too and refuse to pay, but it’s a pita to remember to bring bags in the store. On a side note if you throw a 5 cent bottle/can away the state keeps the money. The making millions off what was supposed to be a way to cut down on litter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

In Suffolk County the store keeps the 5 cent fee, it doesn't go to the State or the County......on a side note, I once had one of those plastic bags stuck in the top of one of my trees, it was there for about three years before it finally broke apart and blew away. The town I live in recently stopped taking glass with recyclables, they go in the regular trash or they have places you can bring it to and drop them off, and I certainly ain't doing that.....had a guy who would drive around on recyclable trash day and pick the bottles out and return them so at least someone was getting the 5 cent deposit, now that's not possible because they're in with the household trash.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

In Suffolk County the store keeps the 5 cent fee, it doesn't go to the State or the County......on a side note, I once had one of those plastic bags stuck in the top of one of my trees, it was there for about three years before it finally broke apart and blew away. The town I live in recently stopped taking glass with recyclables, they go in the regular trash or they have places you can bring it to and drop them off, and I certainly ain't doing that.....had a guy who would drive around on recyclable trash day and pick the bottles out and return them so at least someone was getting the 5 cent deposit, now that's not possible because they're in with the household trash.

Years ago, before we got the totes for commingled recyclables, we just had plastic totes for recyclables. There was one guy who was slightly mentally disabled that would come around and pick out the bottles and cans that had a deposit on them. We'd make sure to separate them into one group to make it easy for him to pick out. Once we switched to the totes, it was not feasible to do that anymore. Felt bad for him when we switched over.

1 hour ago, left field said:

Have you considered putting your name forward for Sec of the Interior? I'm sure the current administration would appreciate that kind of straightforward no-nonsense approach to environmental issues.

Hefty Fines maybe for not disposing of them properly .

The bottle and can deposit was longer needed once recycling totes became a thing. The state will never end it though ,in fact they’re looking into expanding it, as they make millions off folks who recycle them at home instead of returning them for the nickel .

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Plastic will end up killing us all. Especially us as outdoors people should be aware what plastic particles are doing to the food chain. Especially fish and birds. The phrase don't shit where you eat comes to mind.

I'm all for it. 

Albatross chick dead with a stomach full of plastic.

image.thumb.png.221e30e44954f8d824d64486ac452160.png

Plastic pulled from stomach of dead whale.

image.thumb.png.bc20385fdde7be15232d831e99d0bb90.png

I don't want to know that my Wegman's bag ended up in the guts of a dead animal.

It's a small step but a relatively easy one.

• Like 2