They are banning plastic bags now

Hunter007

At places like save-a-lot and Aldi everything goes into the truck lose to roll around and break. then when i get home it goes into totes to carry inside the house. If i could just remember the totes before I go shopping I would have a rather awesome system. 

I have always entertained the idea of bringing my truck ramps and just loading the entire shopping cart into the truck and tieing it down. I think the look on peoples faces would be worth it alone. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

No way that’s a tax the state gets the money. I’m in Suffolk too and refuse to pay, but it’s a pita to remember to bring bags in the store. On a side note if you throw a 5 cent bottle/can away the state keeps the money. The making millions off what was supposed to be a way to cut down on litter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's really not that hard to remember to bring a bag to the grocery store- just takes a little getting used to.  But, it's worth the effort. 

• Like 2

This will probably be an unpopular post, but I am mixed to negative on this. I absolutely hate seeing plastic bags (and any kind of trash) in the environment and it wouldn't bother me a bit to use paper bags. But leave it to NY to BAN things in response to misuse by others. It seems like every day I hear or read about something else in NY getting banned. Crazy kid shoots up a school - ban the rifle he used. Stupid people throwing their trash on the roadside - ban the item.

Those photos earlier in the thread show other plastic items, not single use grocery bags. So the next knee jerk reaction should be to ban all plastic, not just single use bags. That albatross looks like it's got a shotgun shell and some fishing line in him. We don't want those banned also right? I see coffee cups on the roadside everywhere, and some jerk drops his Dunkin cup on my road every day - I pick those up. NY should ban single use cups and we can all hand our ceramic mugs through the window for a refill at your local Dunkin. 

And then they have the gall to charge fees to use paper, a freaking renewable and sustainable resource! I've read that it takes several (5 if I remember) tractor trailer loads of paper bags to deliver the same amount of plastic bags that one truck delivers. But that 5X diesel emission pollution must be OK.

Just tired of the nanny state making all of my decisions for me.

Go ahead, flame me!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm all for it. I use only about 1 or 2 a month when I forget my canvas bags at the grocery store. Been trying to cut down the past year. It's pretty silly when you think about it. They get thrown away within 30 minutes of having them. Pretty wasteful and canvas bags are only a buck or two. 

When I am in Europe, people try really hard to avoid using plastic bags because they charge for them.

• Like 1

I reuse the plastic in the small wastebaskets and use double bags when I empty the kitty litter twice a week . People that just toss bags , coffee cups, McDonalds bags, wrappers , etc. out and let them blow blow away into the environment are just plain slobs . Don't blame it on the item , blame it on the User ! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, left field said:

Albatross chick dead with a stomach full of plastic.

image.thumb.png.221e30e44954f8d824d64486ac452160.png

Plastic pulled from stomach of dead whale.

image.thumb.png.bc20385fdde7be15232d831e99d0bb90.png

I don't want to know that my Wegman's bag ended up in the guts of a dead animal.

It's a small step but a relatively easy one.

I don't dought you,  but  don't  you think getting people to be more responsible and disposing of that plastic in the right way is more important to stop it them some money tax grab they want to do now .  

2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

This will probably be an unpopular post, but I am mixed to negative on this. I absolutely hate seeing plastic bags (and any kind of trash) in the environment and it wouldn't bother me a bit to use paper bags. But leave it to NY to BAN things in response to misuse by others. It seems like every day I hear or read about something else in NY getting banned. Crazy kid shoots up a school - ban the rifle he used. Stupid people throwing their trash on the roadside - ban the item.

Those photos earlier in the thread show other plastic items, not single use grocery bags. So the next knee jerk reaction should be to ban all plastic, not just single use bags. That albatross looks like it's got a shotgun shell and some fishing line in him. We don't want those banned also right? I see coffee cups on the roadside everywhere, and some jerk drops his Dunkin cup on my road every day - I pick those up. NY should ban single use cups and we can all hand our ceramic mugs through the window for a refill at your local Dunkin. 

And then they have the gall to charge fees to use paper, a freaking renewable and sustainable resource! I've read that it takes several (5 if I remember) tractor trailer loads of paper bags to deliver the same amount of plastic bags that one truck delivers. But that 5X diesel emission pollution must be OK.

Just tired of the nanny state making all of my decisions for me.

Go ahead, flame me!

I think this is less about a ban having an appreciable affect in oceans, etc, though certainly fewer bags alongside NY highway would be great, and more about education. We don't need so many single-use bags.

My grandmother who was born in 1889 - dirt poor in the Ukraine and emigrated to Canada where she was also dirt poor, but better dirt. She lived through a couple of world wars, the depression and mini skirts, and all the time, hoarded plastic bags. They were a marvel to her as they had multiple uses and could be reused again and again, and above all were free. I can't tell you him many times she reused bags, each one was carefully folded after use and replaced in the drawer. They eventually developed deep wrinkles where they were folded until they literally disintegrated in her hands. That is fair use of a plastic bag.

The grocery clerk double bagging a loaf of bread (already in a convenient plastic bag) for a two block walk home were it is tossed because I'm overflowing with bags isn't.

It's a really small thing to find another way to convey you stuff from A to B.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jjb4900 said:

In Suffolk County the store keeps the 5 cent fee, it doesn't go to the State or the County......on a side note, I once had one of those plastic bags stuck in the top of one of my trees, it was there for about three years before it finally broke apart and blew away. The town I live in recently stopped taking glass with recyclables, they go in the regular trash or they have places you can bring it to and drop them off, and I certainly ain't doing that.....had a guy who would drive around on recyclable trash day and pick the bottles out and return them so at least someone was getting the 5 cent deposit, now that's not possible because they're in with the household trash.

That's going to change now that it's state approved.They couldn't take the money before it was approved. Cuomo also wants to pass a law that you'll need a receipt to return bottles and cans that doesn't help the environment.They'll be plastic and glass everywhere the cans will get picked up and cashed in for aluminum.I'm all for a cleaner environment but it's all or nothing.I think they tried to get residents to use paper bags for leaf clean up no one listened.Tons of plastic bags getting ground up into compost every fall, Tons more getting burned or buried in the regular trash.

Great, I’m been battling Mrs Nomad on moving out of NYS for a couple years ,she hates NY politics with a passion you wouldn’t believe . Most of our  friends and  some family has moved to FLA, Tenn and Texas .

With each of these new laws it fires her up even move , our kids like it here and is the only reason I’m staying ,but it’s becoming a harder battle .

Nephew in Tenn. just flew oldest to Nashville and is taking her to concerts and showing her the town ( she’s a big country fan, his kids go a private school with Luke  Bryan’s kids .)

Perhaps she’ll like it there ......

12 hours ago, Storm914 said:

How about people just pick up there crap and throw it in the garbage . 

Nobody has started in the forty or so years they have been in use yet....

I think there should be a deposit on ALL beverage containers too...no exceptions, and Styrofoam is just as bad as the plastic waste, or worse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Nobody has started in the forty or so years they have been in use yet....

I think there should be a deposit on ALL beverage containers too...no exceptions, and Styrofoam is just as bad as the plastic waste, or worse.

Maybe better education about how this stuff is bad if you don't get rid of it  the right way would help more than anything else .

When I walk around the city after a big storm, I see all kinds of plastic bags hanging on trees.  I doubt people decided to throw them up there.  Most of them were disposed of properly.  Releasing balloons during events is another act I think people should stop.  I bring a thermos with me every morning when I get my coffee.  I hand them the thermos and they fill it up for me.  Keeps my coffee warmer and I can throw it in my bag without worrying of it spilling.  Those canvas bags are also easier to carry.  Doesn't dig into my fingers as much.  It's not that hard.

12 hours ago, Daveboone said:

think there should be a deposit on ALL beverage containers too...no exceptions,

Why ? With recycling today it’s unnessary to make a trip to turn them in . When we were in FLA ( no deposit ) we had a full sized wheeled tote for plastic ,glass ,and cans, we drank a lot of bottled water ( tap water was really bad ) and beer. Each morning when I cleaned the kitchen I just put them in the tote, Thursday’s it went to the curb .

Here at home there’s a leaf bag in the garage, tipping over full of cans . The wife ( I refuse ) will lug it to Nickel Back and put all the smelly sticky cans on their table for a few bucks .

I don’t see the point the deposit started before household recycling, totally unnecessary and out of date today . It’s a nice regressive tax for the state that’s about it .

Our local Walmart has a huge cardboard box right out by the entrance. I take a couple of bags of the plastic bags in every few months or so and throw them in the box, and I assume that from there they are recycled. Just mandate that if a store uses plastic bags, they keep a recycling box in plain sight and obvious at the store to send them to recycling. It's really no big deal.

How many canvas bags would you have to carry around to take care of a full shopping cart of groceries? I mean when we go shopping, in order to save gas (24 mile round trip), we only go a couple times a month. We're not talking about a couple canvas bags here. I suppose we could use canvas bags and drive the 24 miles more often. Pick your pollution.

I have no problem with recycling. Just make it convenient and keep the recycling collection easy to find and use.

• Like 2

Agree Doc. Wife brings home at least 15 bags full . They then get reused for emptying litter box daily , lining small trash cans, picking up,dog poop . 

So I guess we’ll be buying rolls of plastic bags for that in a year .

I never thought the time before plastic bags was all that bad... paper bags worked fine for years. Seems the tree huggers embraced plastic to save the trees without any regard for the consequences of billions of pounds of discarded plastic bags floating around in the ocean.  Just like when plastic bottles replaced perfectly adequate glass bottles. Not sure what people call progress necessarily works out always for the better.

• Like 1

We did switch to plastic to save the trees.  Soon paper bags won't be allowed either.  Canvas bags will be required at your own expense and inconvenience.  If you think that's a good idea, think about this.  Studies have found those reusable canvas bags become loaded with bacteria after only a few uses.  They will make you sick in short order since you are putting your food in them.  Better get bags that are washable and plan to wash them regularly.

Edited by Rattler