They are banning plastic bags now

Hunter007

1 minute ago, left field said:

Maybe we should line cotton bags with single-use plastic? Best of both worlds!

I think if you ran a cotton swab across life you may find it loaded with bacteria, but aren't cotton bags washable?

Maybe they will come up with biodegradable plastic bags hopefully 

• Like 1

• The world produces about 299 million tons of plastics annually, and up to 20 million tons of it ends up in our oceans each year
  • Estimates suggest that by 2050, our oceans will contain more plastic than fish by weight. Already, in some ocean waters plastic exceeds plankton by a factor of 6-to-1
  • Research suggests the average person swallows up to 68,415 plastic fibers each year just from the plastic dust particles landing on their plates during meals
  • The average person also ingests about 100 plastic particles each year from shell fish — remnants of microplastic water pollution
  • Tests have revealed bottled water contains on average 325 pieces of microplastic particles per liter — contamination thought to originate from the manufacturing process of the bottles and caps

image.png.c10f8ac19baaa5aa1c453c1c6871b690.png

image.png.b4603eed70124fc6f5f13038735c21c8.png

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, left field said:
  • The world produces about 299 million tons of plastics annually, and up to 20 million tons of it ends up in our oceans each year
  • Estimates suggest that by 2050, our oceans will contain more plastic than fish by weight. Already, in some ocean waters plastic exceeds plankton by a factor of 6-to-1
  • Research suggests the average person swallows up to 68,415 plastic fibers each year just from the plastic dust particles landing on their plates during meals
  • The average person also ingests about 100 plastic particles each year from shell fish — remnants of microplastic water pollution
  • Tests have revealed bottled water contains on average 325 pieces of microplastic particles per liter — contamination thought to originate from the manufacturing process of the bottles and caps

image.png.c10f8ac19baaa5aa1c453c1c6871b690.png

image.png.b4603eed70124fc6f5f13038735c21c8.png

You got to love the way the left exaggerates  every Environmental issue lol 

You do realize that every medication and pretty much everything in a modern hospital is made from plastics or stored in plastic don't you ?

The bags are more of a eyesore when they get spread around roads and trees and the ocean  then being bad for the environment they are more or less chemically inert .

You do know this don't you ? 

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, philoshop said:

They do have a flair for the overly-dramatic to the point of comedy. I believe It's a sign of being irrational, dense and obtuse. Very much like the people screaming at the sky when Clinton lost the election.

They don't even know most plastic is chemically inert .

Plastic bags  are a  eyesore its actually not bad for the environment .

Except for the occasional  entanglement with animals that happens.

I wish the time spent on this ban was put toward something more useful, but if it helps cut down on litter I wont complain. 

But please don't fall into the trap of believing this ban will help the oceans.  The vast, vast majority of plastics in the ocean is coming from a handful of Asian countries.  New York plastic bags are, well, a drop in the ocean.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rattler said:

We did switch to plastic to save the trees.  Soon paper bags won't be allowed either.  Canvas bags will be required at your own expense and inconvenience.  If you think that's a good idea, think about this.  Studies have found those reusable canvas bags become loaded with bacteria after only a few uses.  They will make you sick in short order since you are putting your food in them.  Better get bags that are washable and plan to wash them regularly.

so you're under the impression that we will be dumping our mixed nuts and uncovered loose meat in a canvas bag. Come on man.

31 minutes ago, Belo said:

so you're under the impression that we will be dumping our mixed nuts and uncovered loose meat in a canvas bag. Come on man.

Produce Belo, produce.  Not to mention what gets on the containers, which also gets on your hands, which gets injested if you don't wash you hands prior to touching the food, your lips, or even your eyes.  Without constant washing, those canvas bags are gross.  And unless they are strong enough to stand up to lots of washing, they won't last very long.  I can see lots of groceries hitting the parking lot pavement when the owner finds out they were worn out.

BTW, take out places will still be allowed to put your food in plastic bags.  Isn't that discrimination? 

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Produce Belo, produce.  Not to mention what gets on the containers, which also gets on your hands, which gets injested if you don't wash you hands prior to touching the food, your lips, or even your eyes.  Without constant washing, those canvas bags are gross.  And unless they are strong enough to stand up to lots of washing, they won't last very long.  I can see lots of groceries hitting the parking lot pavement when the owner finds out they were worn out.

BTW, take out places will still be allowed to put your food in plastic bags.  Isn't that discrimination? 

I hope you wash your produce before you eat it.....the bacteria and germs on anything you buy at the store from 20 people touching it with filthy hands before it gets to you is a lot worse then any bag could ever get on it.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 5:02 PM, Jeremy K said:

Plastic isn't going anywhere . 

That would be the problem lol. 

While I have no faith in NYS government at all. Nor am I an alarmist commy in any way lol. But I will go on the record here as my belief is plastic will probably be what kills us all. Who know how many cancers it has already caused. Once we ruin the food chain and render the water supply useless shit will be a bit bleak. 

It most likely won't wipe me out but i'm sad for my kids and their future kids as we seem to keep kicking these cans down the road.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Belo said:

i wash my hands before I eat and I wash my veggies. I also don't think the ban applies to produce bags. On top of all that, throwing your grocery bags in the wash with your towels once a week or 2 isn't going to kill ya.

Better wash your hands after putting all your groceries away too.  Grocery bags washed with towels will be fine if you put in enough bleach to kill all the bacteria from the bags.

3 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Better wash your hands after putting all your groceries away too.  Grocery bags washed with towels will be fine if you put in enough bleach to kill all the bacteria from the bags.

i've licked my wife's ass and lived to tell about it. I'm good. :drinks::rofl:

7 minutes ago, Rattler said:

I'm willing to bet used towels and the clothes you wore all day are just as full of bacteria as a grocery bag...probably more.