What's Wrong with Shooting Young Bucks?

Five Seasons

Absolutely nothing wrong with legally shooting young bucks. Over the years I've shot a good number of them. And proud of every one of em too!  

At this stage of my hunting career, I "choose" to hunt bucks with a little more age on them for the added challenge. But in no way does that mean I'll "never" shoot another young one! Depends on the circumstances? It is very important to me, to not lose sight of why I hunt. And not be caught up in the quest to shoot older bucks, and lose sight of the many reasons I enjoy being out there! 

Shoot What You Like...........Like What You Shoot.  Pretty simple recipe for deer hunting enjoyment. No one size fits all.

No hunter should ever question, what another hunter decides to shoot! And no hunter should ever feel diminished by what they "choose" to shoot.

It's all hunting. And it's all good my friends. 

• Like 24

When a hunter first starts out,  a buck any buck is s trophy. it was to me, I can remember my first spike he was small and the guys at deer camp were kiding me about the size. My dad spoke right up and said it takes a good shot to hit the smaller ones. It instantly made me feel good about my deer.

As I have gotten older I have passed up a bunch of smaller deer and don’t regret it. But this only shooting big bucks has a negative effect on younger/ new hunters.  I’ve seen this first hand with my son and wife, they wanted to shoot bigger bucks right from the get go and passing up deer started having a negative effect on them. Let’s face it the end goal of hunting is shooting a animal to enjoy the meat and the accomplishment  of making a good kill. Well I could see they both were loosing interest because going hunting and not pulling the trigger or releasing a arrow is well anticlimactic and at times boring. Told them we needed to start hunting for meat and the antlers will come, and what do you know I could see their interest return and they wanted to go hunting more, because they knew that it was ok to shoot a deer any deer. 

• Like 15

It is wrong for me to punch a buck tag on a young one, early in the seasons, because my family depends on venison for most of our protein and the younger antlered bucks (typically 1.5 years old) provide considerably less of that.   Being patient and holding out for a 2.5 or 3.5  always pays big dividends in more meat.  It is mostly about the meat for me, but antlers are a nice bonus, making cool wall decorations and great reminders of successful hunts in days gone by.   Most of my hunting is done in areas where antlerless deer get hammered by farmers with "nuisance permits" before October 1.  I can't always count on punching many antlerless tags myself.   That makes me be selective with my buck tags, and pass on the young ones early. 

I don't care much about what others shoot, but I do appreciate others who choose to pass the young antlered bucks.   Some years, a young buck that they pass might keep some chicken off our table.   I get a lot less selective later on in the seasons.   My basic rule is 3 points on a side for the first half of crossbow and gun seasons.  A single 3" or longer horn is enough after that.   Thanks to the Good Lord, it has been more than 10 years since I had to "settle" for one with less than three on a side.         

Edited by wolc123

I dont care what others shoot i dont pay for their tags so im not telling them what to take.  Ive slowly gotten to be a little more picky over the years 6 point or higher but by the end of the year i dont care as long as i have meat.  But i tell all the new hunters i take out to just try and fill your tag with whatever is legal.  But it is hard to explain to new and young hunters that a spike or a yearling is a very good trophy to be proud of for their first.  

• Like 3

I like letting a hunter mature in trying for an older larger antlerd buck. But that said, I also know circumstances change from year to year a guy that has 3 vacation weeks one year may have limited time the next that may influence his/her choices.

• Like 1

I am usually happy with one decent sized deer for the freezer. We like venison, and not having any would be a bit of a hardship on us. That said, I am very happy with a nice big fat doe as most anything. I also am pretty in tune with what we have for deer in our neighborhood, and that seldom includes mature bucks. Therefore, I am perfectly happy to take a 11/2 year old buck for the table, BUT, like this year, if I am aware of a decent buck habituating my turf, I am happy to wait it out....as long as I have a doe tag for insurance. This year I took a nice 3 year doe, and a four year old buck...that buck cant hold a candle to the doe for flavor (shot within 20 yards of the same spot, but a month apart). Let the hunter decide what he wants, otherwise it is all show and tell. 

2 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Never tell anyone what to shoot !   Younger taste better than older , learned that in high school !

I can not tell the difference in taste or texture of 1-1/2, 2-1/2, or 3-1/2 year old deer, provided that the carcasses were properly aged prior to processing.   The older the deer, the longer the meat should be aged at 33 - 43 F, to break down rigor mortis.    1-1/2 should be aged about 6 days, a 2-1/2 about 8 days, and a 3-1/2 about 10 days.  Most hunters have no clue how to properly age venison.   If they knew how, their girl friends and wives might not turn up their noses at the venison and might actually encourage them to hunt more like mine does.    

If, by "younger", you are talking about 6 month old deer, then I agree with you 100 %.  They are definitely in a class by themselves in both texture and flavor, and they require little or no aging time to break down rigor mortis.   We have been blessed with many button bucks and one doe fawn over the years and all have been top notch on the table.  I rarely see my wife happier than when I bring home a button buck.   If she had her way, I would shoot them all before they grew antlers, which would also give her some more wall space for pictures and paintings.    

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

But it is hard to explain to new and young hunters that a spike or a yearling is a very good trophy to be proud of for their first.  

Are you saying that the young new hunters you hunt with are not proud of their first kill unless its monster? If so, that is exactly the problem with hunting shows, mags, high fence hunts who only praise and glorify the almighty bone(which they can shove up their...). Sorta sad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Are you saying that the young new hunters you hunt with are not proud of their first kill unless its monster? If so, that is exactly the problem with hunting shows, mags, high fence hunts who only praise and glorify the almighty bone(which they can shove up their...). Sorta sad!

I truly believe hunting shows have done more damage than good.. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2019 at 7:36 AM, rob-c said:

I truly believe hunting shows have done more damage than good.. 

^^^ ... as well as social media bragging rights!

If you, as a hunter feel good about what you put on the ground, NO ONE has the right to criticize you!!!

• Like 3

On 3/30/2019 at 7:25 AM, crappyice said:

Yep wish it wasnt the case.  I got my nephew to change his views after we had an encounter with a spike.  But the other person i took last year said he would only take a big 8 for his first.  Passed up on 2 big does at 35yards with a gun.   I told him that i know guys that have hunted for 20-30 years and never took a big 8.  Also told him if it was that easy ide have more than one 8 to my name.  Told him not to be picky for his first.  But he thinks we should see 10-20 deer (5or6 bucks)  a sit and told him that doesnt happen on the stateland i hunt or my lease. 

Yep wish it wasnt the case.  I got my nephew to change his views after we had an encounter with a spike.  But the other person i took last year said he would only take a big 8 for his first.  Passed up on 2 big does at 35yards with a gun.   I told him that i know guys that have hunted for 20-30 years and never took a big 8.  Also told him if it was that easy ide have more than one 8 to my name.  Told him not to be picky for his first.  But he thinks we should see 10-20 deer (5or6 bucks)  a sit and told him that doesnt happen on the stateland i hunt or my lease. 

Uggg and when s/he doesn’t see that “shooter buck” like advertised in TV, YouTube, Big Buck Weekly, s/he gets frustrated and finds it easier to just shoot it on-line or through a gaming system. Lovely

Advertising marketing departments aren't stupid they make  hunting shows like that with the big bucks and make it look exstra exciting as possible  because it works!!! it will get young kids to get into the sport . Now will it keep them hunting 5 years later when they still have not shot that trophy buck like the ones they saw on tv .  Maybe not but it does get a lot of people to try hunting that normal may not get into it  and that's a good thing . Some may just get hooked and discover they like hunting even if they never get that giant buck that they saw on the TV.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 11:30 AM, grampy said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with legally shooting young bucks. Over the years I've shot a good number of them. And proud of every one of em too!  

At this stage of my hunting career, I "choose" to hunt bucks with a little more age on them for the added challenge. But in no way does that mean I'll "never" shoot another young one! Depends on the circumstances? It is very important to me, to not lose sight of why I hunt. And not be caught up in the quest to shoot older bucks, and lose sight of the many reasons I enjoy being out there! 

Shoot What You Like...........Like What You Shoot.  Pretty simple recipe for deer hunting enjoyment. No one size fits all.

No hunter should ever question, what another hunter decides to shoot! And no hunter should ever feel diminished by what they "choose" to shoot.

It's all hunting. And it's all good my friends. 

Couldn't have said it better! Thanks.

• Like 1

With each passing Deer Season, I tend to realize more and more how thankful I am, to be rewarded enough just to be out enjoying the outdoors. Guess what, I get  19 days vacation time, wanna know how much I have left by the time Deer season rolls around, basically none, after many many sick days between my 3 kids, If time permits, a vacation with them to keep them happy and satisfied lil schits. I used to get pissed when trying to manage properties for more mature age class of bucks and having neighbors shoot "dinks", after losing my 2 best friends whom I used to enjoy hunting seasons with has changed all that... Times change, reasons change, seasons change and life goes on.. If you let it. Enjoy the time you have, dont hold grudges, and do the best you can for yourself and others, afield or not.. I put serious money and time(the little extra i get that my kids dont consume) goes into building habitat for their generation and there after. I havent filled a tag since 2016. It doesnt bother me a bit. This is a hobby, its a passion, and a privilege. Lets not spoil it for everyone else.. SHOOT WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY, Just make sure it is legal, and please dont start by saying, its not my biggest but... 

With that being said, no.. I still wont shoot a small buck. But I wont judge any one who does. The camaraderie is whats its all about.  I can sit and go without tagging venison and still enjoy creation. Id rather watch and or give someone else the opportunity at a harvest. Build up new hunters to take my place one day.. Which speaking of, I need to find a youth for Spring turkey... 

Hunt on Ladies and Gents'...

• Like 4

I started off going after larger deer and boy was that a futile adventure.  I still enjoy going after them and still pass young deer but sometimes you have to take what is given and enjoy the adventure.  Last year was one of my more memorable hunting trips.  The excitement on the 2nd year hunters face, eating venison in deer camp of the deer we just dragged out a few hours earlier was amazing.  

20181110_162651.thumb.jpg.a87fe671fd71fd09ff6f83cc22b32eed.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

I started off going after larger deer and boy was that a futile adventure.  I still enjoy going after them and still pass young deer but sometimes you have to take what is given and enjoy the adventure.  Last year was one of my more memorable hunting trips.  The excitement on the 2nd year hunters face, eating venison in deer camp of the deer we just dragged out a few hours earlier was amazing.  

20181110_162651.thumb.jpg.a87fe671fd71fd09ff6f83cc22b32eed.jpg

Great photo by the way. 

• Like 2

On 3/29/2019 at 5:35 PM, wolc123 said:

It is wrong for me to punch a buck tag on a young one, early in the seasons, because my family depends on venison for most of our protein and the younger antlered bucks (typically 1.5 years old) provide considerably less of that.   Being patient and holding out for a 2.5 or 3.5  always pays big dividends in more meat.  It is mostly about the meat for me, but antlers are a nice bonus, making cool wall decorations and great reminders of successful hunts in days gone by.   Most of my hunting is done in areas where antlerless deer get hammered by farmers with "nuisance permits" before October 1.  I can't always count on punching many antlerless tags myself.   That makes me be selective with my buck tags, and pass on the young ones early. 

I don't care much about what others shoot, but I do appreciate others who choose to pass the young antlered bucks.   Some years, a young buck that they pass might keep some chicken off our table.   I get a lot less selective later on in the seasons.   My basic rule is 3 points on a side for the first half of crossbow and gun seasons.  A single 3" or longer horn is enough after that.   Thanks to the Good Lord, it has been more than 10 years since I had to "settle" for one with less than three on a side.         

you make a real good point about doe. We have a literal infestation of them around my property, but they're smart and tend to disappear to the unhuntable woods when the guns go off. I can recall too many times thinking a doe would be a gimme later in the year for my freezer and that not being the case, or me just barely getting one.

On 3/29/2019 at 5:51 PM, Swamp_bucks said:

I dont care what others shoot i dont pay for their tags so im not telling them what to take.  Ive slowly gotten to be a little more picky over the years 6 point or higher but by the end of the year i dont care as long as i have meat.  But i tell all the new hunters i take out to just try and fill your tag with whatever is legal.  But it is hard to explain to new and young hunters that a spike or a yearling is a very good trophy to be proud of for their first.  

2 seasons ago i was on a 3 year archery kill drought thanks to moving and hunting southern public land. I moved back home and had passed some small bucks and doe early on. The last weekend I was determined to hunt hard and let an arrow fly at anything other than a fawn or bb. When I heard the adrenaline inducing sound of crunching leaves approaching I was excited. As the deer appeared in the shooting lane i saw it was a small buck and my heart sank a little as I would have preferred a doe and to let him grow. However I still happily punched my tag. It was a great shot and he was a great eater. I was more than happy to take one with a the stick and string for the first time in a while and put meat in the freezer.

On 3/29/2019 at 7:46 PM, GreeneHunter said:

Never tell anyone what to shoot !   Younger taste better than older , learned that in high school !

this isn't true. younger is easier to cook and more forgiving. A decent wildgame hunter should have an arsenal of recipes to cook any age of deer so that age is indistinguishable. 

5 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

i have 2 younger cousins, but both have been hunting for 10+ years. Last year is the first that any of them shot a doe and it was only because she was wounded. The one has shot some beauties and even admits that a few were dumb luck, but the other has ate some tag soup all because his expectations are that of our 60 year old fathers. It was funny to see her gut the doe and watch them have a discussion about the girl parts. I was like "ummm have neither of you done this before?" lol. Jesus lay em down before you get all picky.

13 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

kind of my motto. Target the big boys, but be willing to accept a 2.5 if the right conditions present themselves. Some argue that you should stick to your goals regardless. I disagree. 

• Like 1