What's Wrong with Shooting Young Bucks?

Five Seasons

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

he has been MIA. maybe he found jesus? 

I think Wolc finally got thru to him!   We all know that God works in mysterious ways.   Next season we'll see FSW posing with a button buck.

Edited by steve863

12 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

For some of us we like to keep and use the word hunt in hunting. We find a buck or two and hunt for them. They are always of a certain size and nothing less will do. We may take a different buck we did not plan on but it will be of the same size or bigger. Is that really called Trophy Hunting.. Or setting a standard? We still get to enjoy every other aspect of the hunt that everyone else does we just make it a little harder and actually make it so some skill and knowledge is involved. In most parts of the state it does not take much of a "Hunt" just to kill a yearling buck or a doe. The word Hunting can be thought of and used in many different ways by hunters and none of them would be wrong. Just Different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, Pal.....Who ARE you, and what have you done with  4SW  ??

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Belo said:

I don't know if i've ever been truly upset about a deer I shot, if anything i've been upset with myself for a bad shot or decision. I think it's ok to be a little let down that you took a smaller deer than you would have liked. Nothing wrong with feeling the way you do as long as the meat doesn't go to waste. 

this is where the lines get blurry, because I would agree that if you know you have a long season and have every intention of a lot of hunting and you have a feel for the kind of deer your property holds, you really should try and hold out. If not for anything, but for an excuse for more woods time. But all those variables need to be in play. For some hunters and properties that's a shot you don't pass up despite the time of year.

One of my top 5 came the second day i was in the archery woods. He was a nice 8 and I knew that I might not get another opportunity at a buck like him so I took it. Conversely, the year my oldest was born I knew my woods time was going to be limited and I shot a small 5 early on despite knowing bigger deer were around. Heck, 30 seconds after I flung an arrow at the 5 a decent 8 came up right behind him for a shot broadside at 10 yards. That's hunting lol.

I know guys who  go to the trouble of buying land upstate just to hunt on put in food plots to attract deer and the first weekend go and blast a spike or close to it . When I know they have the time to hunt much more of the season.  I could never figure that out .  I ask one of them about that one time and he said he just didn't want to take a  chance  and  wait  and not get anything at all  .

Edited by Storm914

2 hours ago, Storm914 said:

I know guys who  go to the trouble of buying land upstate just to hunt on put in food plots to attract deer and the first weekend go and blast a spike or close to it . When I know they have the time to hunt much more of the season.  I could never figure that out .  I ask one of them about that one time and he said he just didn't want to take a  chance  and  wait  and not get anything at all  .

that's when i would argue they should shoot a doe. My uncle still has this "i gotta get my buck" mentality even if it's a spike or a 3. It doesn't make him happy, it's just this thing he has. Kind of annoys me, but it is what it is.

I also have buddies who complain that they never see any bucks, but blast away at doe. A decent percentage of the bucks I've killed have come on the heels of doe or have been lurking nearby and I'd have never seen the buck if I blasted the doe. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

For some of us we like to keep and use the word hunt in hunting. We find a buck or two and hunt for them. They are always of a certain size and nothing less will do. We may take a different buck we did not plan on but it will be of the same size or bigger. Is that really called Trophy Hunting.. Or setting a standard? We still get to enjoy every other aspect of the hunt that everyone else does we just make it a little harder and actually make it so some skill and knowledge is involved. In most parts of the state it does not take much of a "Hunt" just to kill a yearling buck or a doe. The word Hunting can be thought of and used in many different ways by hunters and none of them would be wrong. Just Different.

I can definitely see where you are coming from. And I could have worded some of that better. But, and this may not relate in your case at all due to your occupation and i doubt you ever need venison!!, but if your searching for a certain buck of a standard and are ok going without a deer for the season that is a lot different than the way a lot of folks hunt. My goal number 1 is venison and if I don't put a couple deer in the freezer I have failed my goals.

Now for me I pass quite a few bucks as I know I have the luxury of a lot of time in the woods. But after a certain point I will take what is offered. I have no issue taking does and if I saw the amount some of you do I could shoot all does. On my properties I see almost as many bucks as does. So we take a couple does and leave the rest to make multiple more eater bucks and does lol.

Again to each there own, I just usually have a problem when folks start preaching that their way is the only and best way. And that is not solely about hunting but about most things in life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belo said:

that's when i would argue they should shoot a doe. My uncle still has this "i gotta get my buck" mentality even if it's a spike or a 3. It doesn't make him happy, it's just this thing he has. Kind of annoys me, but it is what it is.

I also have buddies who complain that they never see any bucks, but blast away at doe. A decent percentage of the bucks I've killed have come on the heels of doe or have been lurking nearby and I'd have never seen the buck if I blasted the doe. 

You ever here this saying before " it's over if you don't get anything on opening weekend " . That's what a lot of guys think .

Edited by Storm914

14 minutes ago, Belo said:

what about fawn suckling on her momma's teet? 

Nothing Id consider doing, and certainly the youngest buck you could imagine for a hypothetical... but if someone wants burn an antlerless tag on it, sure.  

Edited by johnplav

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

I can definitely see where you are coming from. And I could have worded some of that better. But, and this may not relate in your case at all due to your occupation and i doubt you ever need venison!!, but if your searching for a certain buck of a standard and are ok going without a deer for the season that is a lot different than the way a lot of folks hunt. My goal number 1 is venison and if I don't put a couple deer in the freezer I have failed my goals.

Now for me I pass quite a few bucks as I know I have the luxury of a lot of time in the woods. But after a certain point I will take what is offered. I have no issue taking does and if I saw the amount some of you do I could shoot all does. On my properties I see almost as many bucks as does. So we take a couple does and leave the rest to make multiple more eater bucks and does lol.

Again to each there own, I just usually have a problem when folks start preaching that their way is the only and best way. And that is not solely about hunting but about most things in life.

Someday, after retirement, I might have "the luxury of a lot of time in the woods".   At this point, it takes about (4) average sized deer, or roughly 200 pounds of venison, to last my family of four a year.  That makes meat my number one priority when it comes to hunting.  I really do appreciate those, like FSW who have antlers as there number one priority, because if meat was it for all of us there would be a lot less to go around.      

11 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Someday, after retirement, I might have "the luxury of a lot of time in the woods".   At this point, it takes about (4) average sized deer, or roughly 200 pounds of venison, to last my family of four a year.  That makes meat my number one priority when it comes to hunting.  I really do appreciate those, like FSW who have antlers as there number one priority, because if meat was it for all of us there would be a lot less to go around.      

I usually like 3 minimum and up to 5 to get a good stock up. With my daughter off in college I go through more as every time she is home she takes a bunch of burger back to make venison tacos. She is only like 30 minutes away so that is like weekly lol!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I usually like 3 minimum and up to 5 to get a good stock up. With my daughter off in college I go through more as every time she is home she takes a bunch of burger back to make venison tacos. She is only like 30 minutes away so that is like weekly lol!

We just polished off a bunch of tacos for dinner, since my prior post.  That is our girl's favorite meal for sure and they can really put them away.  My wife made a little chicken meat too, but they both went for the venison.  They are still in high school.   It would be nice if they would help a bit with the harvest, rather than just the consumption, but it don't look like that is going to happen anytime soon.   Our supply is holding out ok.  I froze the grind from the first two last fall (big button buck and small doe fawn), in zip-lock bags and there are only a few of those left in the freezer.   Once that "milk-fed" grind is exhaused, there is a good supply of vacuum- sealed stuff, from a couple of mature bucks, that should see us safely into next season.   The vacuum-sealed stuff always keeps real well, and I like to have a deer or so left in the freezer the following year,  just in case I get skunked.   I am not certain that I could survive without venison.   My wife and daughters like chicken a lot more than me, so they might be able to get by.         

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

It would be nice if they would help a bit with the harvest, rather than just the consumption, but it don't look like that is going to happen anytime soon.   

Don't give up hope lol. My daughter went with me a few times when she was small and had fun but was never "into it" She is 19 now and wants to start hunting. She took and passed her class last fall. I was out of town working so she went all by herself and aced it. Actually I think she made some comments about they should make it harder as there were some not quite "all there" kids that were helped passed that she said she would not go in the woods near!

Anyhow I am looking forward to a new partner on some hunts!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Don't give up hope lol. My daughter went with me a few times when she was small and had fun but was never "into it" She is 19 now and wants to start hunting. She took and passed her class last fall. I was out of town working so she went all by herself and aced it. Actually I think she made some comments about they should make it harder as there were some not quite "all there" kids that were helped passed that she said she would not go in the woods near!

Anyhow I am looking forward to a new partner on some hunts!

Ha, my daughter said it was the easiest test she ever took , and she never read the booklet ahead of time .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Now there’s HW before the class/test

Yea there is but its the person going through a booklet and filling out the awnser sheet. Its to help keep classes shorter so now its 1day of class for 8hrs.