Anyone ever hunt Argentina?

moog5050

hope you do this - would cert be epic.  While your there - have to do some dove hunting and trout fishing in Patagonia!  (after dropping the Stag) 

have a buddy that went there on a Dove hunt - they shot pallets of shells and piles of doves.  He said there are so many its like clouds of them going by and it was amazing.  But he said they couldnt bring any of the meat home for any of the hunts which would be disappointing to me.  

Funny story he told me about the trip - getting the guns in out of the country.  They spent three extra hours at the airport to get them from the airport in Argentina.  They had an envoy there from the US that helps tourists out at the airport.  He asked her if there was anyway to speed that up for the return trip .  She asked if he had $20 and he said yes and they took them and the guns to the front to be checked in and it took 20 minutes LOL - HE said "i wouldve paid $100"  .  But if he went again he would rent guns that they have at the lodge to avoid the PITA .  

while they were hunting doves they each had a guy that would retrieve them .  They called him the bird boy!  But he said he was one of the best part of the trips cause he was such a nice guy and funny as hell.   

7 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Check with Dinsdale......he might have. 

I hunted Uruguay, right next door. Flew into Buenos Aires, ARG though; birds were better at that date in URG(slight difference in crop dates with location).

Anyway;

Booking any hunt domestic or international is all the same regardless of state or country; its all about finding the experience you want and how you think of it in your head and then finding the outfit who can give you that experience or as close as possible for the species.

Planning is a fun part of the hunt, good luck.

• Like 2

First you said you’d never hunt predators. Now you do. Now you’re talking out of state/country hunts. I love it!

I have no experience with South America, although I did look into puma/mt lion hunts down there many years ago. I would definitely suggest browsing Bowsite. I could almost guarantee you that several guys have done the hunt you are Talking about. One thing to be sure of ahead of time is if you can bring back the cape/rack or not (assuming you want to).

Also, as others said, be 100% sure you know if you are hunting free range or “estate” (High Fence)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Fletch said:

I did just get a big check from over contributing to my 401k hmmmm. Maybe I need to take the wife to dinner and start some sweet talking.............. 

The kids would just use that dough up on college tuition anyway lol

Nice ! The 401 max is 19k, good job.

we just gave each kid a few thousand each to bump up theirs, they were just doing what got them the matching amount .

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

One thing to be sure of ahead of time is if you can bring back the cape/rack or not (assuming you want to).

Theres several components to this....

First if there is legal quota most game animals being marketed to international hunters by reputable outfits is exportable and will tell you when they are not for your country.

BUT some animal species cannot be imported due to our USF&G dept. (red stag is not one of them)Cheetah for example can be legally hunted, but not imported to US or Australia, but can be imported in Europe and Canada.

Second there are some countries that allow animals parts to be immediately packed and taken home with basic in country paperwork on the spot for export in luggage..

BUT they have to be appropriately dried and salted for import and checked on import to the US by both customs and USF&W. All paperwork has to be in order. For example it quick to get export paperwork in New Zealand, you just need a few extra days after taking an animal to dry the cape and clean up the skull. (Can even bring back meat from New Zealand on a stag hunt)

Third many countries (most in reality) require a quarantine period for document checks for legality of hunt when outfit must submit paperwork and a set procedure for disinfectant to be applied for export.

Most African countries bureaucracies move at their own pace and 90 days legal time frames often stretch out longer depending how much grease is applied to the rails, time of year, promptness of submitting paperwork (and you are often hunting land not owned by outfit and both outfit and legal land controlling party need to submit paperwork). A year is not uncommon from hunt to arrival in US of raw trophies.

Argentina has a reputation of being expensive to have trophies shipped home. There are few players in the game and they put the screws to hunters. $800-$1200 for a set of stag antlers and cape would be about average from who I have talked to. You cannot immediate export; they have to go through dip and pack at approved facility.

Gun import in Argentina is also ominous and outfits are making a tidy profit on renting guns, so they seem to have little interest in changing the system. But there are outfits now including rentals with pricing.

Shipping trophies is a sticky subject due to cost, I've become selective on what is shipped (its based on weight and volume), dip and pack (D&P) costs and import costs. Good portion are now leaving everything behind for hunts and rolling the taxidermy costs into more hunts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice ! The 401 max is 19k, good job.
we just gave each kid a few thousand each to bump up theirs, they were just doing what got them the matching amount .

My company has an imbalance between highly and not highly compensated which is why I got the check. Our FO was not on the ball on some stuff so I got hosed and returned. Hired a new CFO a few months ago so should be straight going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting development in New Zealand hunting circles last few days....

New Zealand Police have suspended incoming non resident gun permits after the mosque shooting.

Right now is the start of their fall deer season and the upcoming Stag roar, and when the mountain game like Tahr and Chamois have full developed winter coats and come down in elevation for the winter; so its the peak of incoming hunters.

Gonna have some pretty pissed off folks in the industry.

It was pretty easy when I went, $20 and 20 minutes all done......looks like those days are long gone.:negative:

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Interesting development in New Zealand hunting circles last few days....

New Zealand Police have suspended incoming non resident gun permits after the mosque shooting.

Right now is the start of their fall deer season and the upcoming Stag roar, and when the mountain game like Tahr and Chamois have full developed winter coats and come down in elevation for the winter; so its the peak of incoming hunters.

Gonna have some pretty pissed off folks in the industry.

It was pretty easy when I went, $20 and 20 minutes all done......looks like those days are long gone.:negative:

I was wondering what the impact would be.  I guess more gun rentals.  

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I was wondering what the impact would be.  I guess more gun rentals.  

for the smaller operations the quality and quantity of firearms will be pretty good. Their access and choices for typical bolt action rifles/ammo/optics is similar to ours.

The big outfits that are filling multiple camps and booking multiple hunters might start getting a bit interesting. 

Generally speaking i will say the quality of camp guns has dramatically increased since I started about 15 years ago going on trips out of US. More folks want to tour a bit before and after hunts with out toting a rifle around, and less want hassles of airlines and permits when arriving. And they want good quality rifles and optics when paying the fare.

I like my own after doing a rental one time; but may come a day one may have to do with a camp gun.