Turkey gun optics

Buckmaster7600

Who runs an optic on your turkey slayers?

Even though the last 30 or so turkeys I’ve killed not 1 has been over 20 yards and most closer to half that I wouldn’t hunt with out some sort of an optic. Both of my main guns have trijicon rmr’s I think they are about the best there is but I’m sure there are much cheaper options that work.

The main reason I use one is I’m always shooting from awkward positions and with a red dot there is no paralax so if the dots on the bird that’s where the shots hitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tru glo Gobble stopper. I had a Hi Viz fiber optic sights on it before, but i have missed birds by shooting over them(I'm sure it was operator error) so I tried the scope. I really like it but I'm always afraid the battery will go dead during a hunt and I'll be screwed!

• Like 1

I’m curious if anyone has ever used some form of optic then went back to a plain old bead.

I went from a bead to a scope to a reflex to a aimpoint holographic then I went a couple years hunting with a ghost ring peep but have been back to reflex and a scope for a couple years now and don’t see myself ever going back to a bead.

I'm old... Ok not THAT old, lol, but have always used a two bead sighting.  

Often thought about a red dot.  Use one on my indoor .22 pistol. Just never broke down and bought one for the my turkey Slayer. 

I've definitely missed a few times over the years. 

Last time was 5 yrs ago. Plain and simple, I messed up.  I knew if I had a red dot, that bird would be dead. 

Still old school to this day. Just don't know why... Lol

• Like 2

run bushnell and eotech holo sights on all my turkey guns, I wear progressive lenses and it solves a focusing problem between rear site and front sight. The circle works for me as the eye naturally acquires and centers target. within the circle.

• Like 3

Ive got a truglo red-dot that came with the mossberg 535 I bought. I love it for the most part, but the only thing I dont like about reddots is that I have to turn them on. I feel like in a run and gun scenario, its going to come back to bite me eventually. If I were to buy one, I think Id buy a scope instead of a red dot. 

Ive got a truglo red-dot that came with the mossberg 535 I bought. I love it for the most part, but the only thing I dont like about reddots is that I have to turn them on. I feel like in a run and gun scenario, its going to come back to bite me eventually. If I were to buy one, I think Id buy a scope instead of a red dot. 

Many of the higher end models have motion sensors so that would never be an issue, my trijicons don’t have any batteries and are always on.

I pretty much had to put a dot on my single 10, it shot so high over POA. 

IIRC it's a cheap Simmons under that tape (lol) and I'm kind of shocked it's help up all these years. 

DSC01505.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cas said:

I pretty much had to put a dot on my single 10, it shot so high over POA. 

IIRC it's a cheap Simmons under that tape (lol) and I'm kind of shocked it's help up all these years. 

DSC01505.JPG

Haven’t seen you around. Welcome! What  10 gauge you shooting ?