Service dog scam

Hunter007

Guy walks in this store I'm at the other day with a 200 pound dog that looked more  wolf then dog  . With a vest on  that says service dog on it .

But every person that came near that dog got a aggressive bark  from this dog . There is no way that was a real service dog . I guess you can just buy a vest online that says service dog on it and go any place now and nobody questions it . 

• Like 1

I’ve seen the same thing before. But I don’t think the old definition of “service dog” applies anymore. With the changing of times you can now have a “service dog” for all sorts of issues like PTSD, anxiety, depression and the list goes on and on. And it doesn’t need to be just dogs anymore, all sorts of animals being used as “service animals” now.

I can’t find the article now, but there was just a guy in the news not too long ago for trying to apply for a permit or whatever to have a “service tortoise”. Seriously, the guy has this big ass tortoise and wants to bring it all around with him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

I’ve seen the same thing before. But I don’t think the old definition of “service dog” applies anymore. With the changing of times you can now have a “service dog” for all sorts of issues like PTSD, anxiety, depression and the list goes on and on. And it doesn’t need to be just dogs anymore, all sorts of animals being used as “service animals” now.

I can’t find the article now, but there was just a guy in the news not too long ago for trying to apply for a permit or whatever to have a “service tortoise”. Seriously, the guy has this big ass tortoise and wants to bring it all around with him.

Yea but don't they  need to have training first pass some kind of test to see if the animal is safe to be around lots of people first to call it a service dog ?

This dog/wolf  was clearly not trained at all .

Edited by Storm914

A good buddy of mine that I was in Afghanistan with got messed up pretty bad and suffers from severe ptsd, he has a service dog that’s A pit bull mutt “looks like a pit but shes not pure bred” she looks mean as hell but is the sweetest dog I’ve ever met. He often has people calling him a liar and saying stuff to him about it but she keeps him calm in public places and helps him a lot!

Not saying one way or another but be careful judging without the facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pretty sure there is no actual formal training required to call a dog a 'service dog'.  Any dog owner can train their own dog and call it a service animal.  And businesses are not allowed to do any more than ask what service the dog performs- you cannot ask a person about their disability.  The only requirement is that the dog be in 'the owner's control' at all times.  I just had to deal with this issue last week in one of my offices and was referred to the ADA website for information.  I was amazed at how unregulated this is. 

• Like 4

Buckmaster- what you're describing sounds like more of an 'emotional support animal', which is somewhat different from a 'service animal'.  Service animals are meant to perform a specific task for a disabled person- opening doors, 'seeing eye dog', etc.

You also make a good point about not judging based on appearances.  The person who I was dealing with had a dog that senses when her blood sugar starts dropping too low and helps her avoid hypoglycemic episodes.  By looking at her, you would have no idea that she had any kind of disability.

Edited by virgil

Buckmaster- what you're describing sounds like more of an 'emotional support animal', which is somewhat different from a 'service animal'.  Service animals are meant to perform a specific task for a disabled person- opening doors, 'seeing eye dog', etc.
You also make a good point about not judging based on appearances.  The person who I was dealing with had a dog that senses when her blood sugar starts dropping too low and helps her avoid hypoglycemic episodes.  By looking at her, you would have no idea that she had any kind of disability.

You may be right, I don’t know the specifics. All I know is that him and the VA consider her a “service” dog. I know there is no specific registrations on service dogs but he did get papers from the va “authorizing” him to have her with him all the time. But really he just got them instead of arguing or having to explain himself when questioned.

• Like 2

This is a very sensitive subject for sure. There are people that truly need these dogs and the service they provide is invaluable. On the other hand there are people that fully take advantage of it. The airlines have major issues with this as they do not charge for true service dogs. Many people fake this to have their pet fly in the main cabin for free.

• Like 2

Interesting  you brought this up     Just yesterday we had a german shepard come into work and with 2 guys who by judging and I don't like to judge were not US Army nor retired Army.  Dog had a vest on saying  US Army/Do not pet        They went into the dome to hit golfballs with the dog.  Now who's responsible if that dog bit someone ? And there's a restaurant in the dome so board of health might not appreciate it.  In mentioning this to my wife a veterinarian she said quite often people order Guide/service dog things online and take advantage of the system.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Interesting  you brought this up     Just yesterday we had a german shepard come into work and with 2 guys who by judging and I don't like to judge were not US Army nor retired Army.  Dog had a vest on saying  US Army/Do not pet        They went into the dome to hit golfballs with the dog.  Now who's responsible if that dog bit someone ? And there's a restaurant in the dome so board of health might not appreciate it.  In mentioning this to my wife a veterinarian she said quite often people order Guide/service dog things online and take advantage of the system.

The ADA website says that the dog is allowed even in food prep areas- even in salad bars- because of the rule that the dog always be in the owner's 'control'.  Can't leave your dog at the table while you go to the salad bar.

The issue that I had to deal with was that we had one patient who needed to have her dog with her; and we had another patient who has a very serious pet allergy.  Ultimately, we are required to accommodate the person who needs the dog.  The person with the allergy is responsible for knowing that the law allows for service animals to be in public places and must take necessary precautions when in public (carry an epi-pen) at all times.

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

Yea but don't they  need to have training first pass some kind of test to see if the animal is safe to be around lots of people first to call it a service dog ?

This dog/wolf  was clearly not trained at all .

State laws vary, but at least some states allow an owner to train a service dog so the answer would be NO.  There is also no requirement in the law that says the dogs need to have a vest on, carry papers to prove anything, act the way that someone else thinks they should act,  or answer ignorant questions. Matter of fact, the opposite. If you start harassing someone because you are playing doctor, you could find yourself on the losing end of a very real law suit. 

Emotional support animals do not have the same privs as true working dogs. EX Military may have some different special rules associated, that I don't know.

The dog grabbing someones food is clearly a violation, in my opinion. The dog is not under the owners control at that point and would seem to be legal to ask for removal of the animal.

EDIT: As for papers, though its not a legal requirement, nobody knows this. If a person with a legal working dog does not have papers and is asked for them.. a large argument would likely begin. However, if papers are carried and shown, it gives the appearance of being legal.

Edited by Al Bundy
Add info
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The sad thing is it’s just like everything else when people take advantage of a system they only hurt those that really need it!

On first thought, this sounds appropriate. But... think about it. There are two schools of thought on this topic.  Some of the people with legal working dogs encourage more people to bring their dogs places. The thought being that the more dogs, the less harassment they receive from people who are uneducated. Other thinking is its a right reserved only for those who truly need it.

My parents have a Chihuahua, I honestly can't stand that thing. The first time it informed my father that something was wrong with my mother, he kind of blew it off. It happened again and that time he had to call rescue for her. They told the Dr. About it and they now have papers that stated that he is her service dog. 

They bring him in hospital when i allow it. Did I mention I can't stand that dog 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

On first thought, this sounds appropriate. But... think about it. There are two schools of thought on this topic.  Some of the people with legal working dogs encourage more people to bring their dogs places. The thought being that the more dogs, the less harassment they receive from people who are uneducated. Other thinking is its a right reserved only for those who truly need it.

This is one of those topics that gets people angry anyone that has  dogs or  likes  to be around dogs will have no problem with them in a store in restaurant but many people don't keep pets don't want them around for various reasons including health and emotional reasons as well so  how do you decide who's  rights are more important the guy who's allergic to dogs  or scared  of dogs for health reasons or the guy who needs a dog for whatever physical or emotional reason ? Stores and restaurants are there to sell to humans not dogs there for the dogs should not have the same right as people if a paying costumer in a store don't want your dog near them you should respect that .  

My brother-in-law has a job that he is traveling around the world more often than he is home. He sees a shrink. Shrink writes him a script for an emotional support dog to help with his "anxiety". He brings it everywhere he travels. He even admits it is BS.

5 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Dogs if not kept indoors and cleaned , trained. 

Can be dirty nasty creatures that  stick there noses in  every thing even  there own poo .

Why should you or I have to trust that someone's animal is clean  well trained and  healthy when we go in a public place they can have lice fleas ticks  who knows . There are reasons why farmers   don't keep there livestock in there house you know what I mean  . This shouldn't be a controversial topic just common sense that has been lost in the new world order . People rights first over the animals sorry if that offense anyone  but dogs are not customers . Unless you are blind you don't need a dog everyplace you go . 

Edited by Storm914

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Ignorant post of the day!

So you need your dog everyplace you go really? What about hospitals  in the kitchen of a restaurant maybe? Maybe bring him to work with you ? Think most bosses would like that .

Edited by Storm914

So you need your dog everyplace you go really? What about hospitals  in the kitchen of a restaurant maybe? Maybe bring him to work with you ? Think most bosses would like that .

I don’t but there are a lot of people that need their dogs to be able to live a normal life other than just blind people.