Legal Weed and Gun Owners

Rattler

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I have no idea if any of this has taken place yet but I certainly can see this married up with and used as justification for a new Red Flag complaint. PTSD patient.... Gets documented and prescribed, red flag complaint made and the diagnosis and script are used in the basis to remove firearms. 

the red flag is independent of this potential law, and my point is that people are pointing to "what ifs" with no proof, while i have proof of the opposite. 

1 hour ago, Eric J said:
11 e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or
decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.

it's like some of you dont even understand how legal pot works. It's still a federal crime regardless of what the state says. Your employer can still fire you for testing positive too btw. Do you see the FBI raiding these states and locking up pot smokers for federal possession? Has Trump publicly come out and said he is looking at decriminalizing it? Is our Government very preoccupied with much more important issues? 

1 minute ago, Belo said:

it's like some of you dont even understand how legal pot works. It's still a federal crime regardless of what the state says. Your employer can still fire you for testing positive too btw. Do you see the FBI raiding these states and locking up pot smokers for federal possession? Has Trump publicly come out and said he is looking at decriminalizing it? Is our Government very preoccupied with much more important issues? 

I understand exactly how it works. I deal with it every week. So you see no potential issue for some using state legal medical or recreational and marking the "No" on 11e.?

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I understand exactly how it works. I deal with it every week. So you see no potential issue for some using state legal medical or recreational and marking the "No" on 11e.?

i see the issue. I don't think it will lead to a gun grab. We're applying the issue to a topic that is near and dear to our hearts, when in fact the federal vs state legality of the issue takes place at a much higher level and has numerous ramification, not just firearm possession. 

And there is no proof other than some guys calling a radio show apparently that it has happened in NY or in any of the states that have already legalized it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

i see the issue. I don't think it will lead to a gun grab. We're applying the issue to a topic that is near and dear to our hearts, when in fact the federal vs state legality of the issue takes place at a much higher level and has numerous ramification, not just firearm possession. 

And there is no proof other than some guys calling a radio show apparently that it has happened in NY or in any of the states that have already legalized it.

I get it, but if you use medically or recreationally  and make it yes you aren't gonna get that gun. If you mark it no you are committing a felony. With a felony you can rick loss of all guns. Will it happen? i doubt it but it doesn't change the reality of what is possible. If it did get prosecuted I would think it would have come up as a byproduct of another investigation. 

19 minutes ago, Belo said:

A guy in amherst ny had his guns taken away already because of stuff that happened between him and a doctor ,so don't act like you have some insider info that makes us wrong and you some how correct. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

A guy in amherst ny had his guns taken away already because of stuff that happened between him and a doctor ,so don't act like you have some insider info that makes us wrong and you some how correct. 

i do have actual evidence though. Did the guy in Amherst lose his guns for smoking pot? lets stick to the subject. For that matter have any of you ever heard of someone getting caught with weed (a misdemeanor) and losing their guns? 

Edited by Belo

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

i do have actual evidence though. Did the guy in Amherst lose his guns for smoking pot? lets stick to the subject. For that matter have any of you ever heard of someone getting caught with weed (a misdemeanor) and losing their guns? 

I have seen guys with possession tickets lose their pistol permit and all handguns yes.

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

I have a friend who was pulled over and arrested for having weed in his car , he was also denied the purchase of a firearm after a year later.

11 minutes ago, Belo said:

You said there will be no gun grab , however there was a gun grab for the guy not even breaking the law ,simply for being on anti depression medication i believe.

• Like 2

Personally, I have a problem with denying 2A rights to anyone for having a doctor prescribe them some medical form of cannabis.  I know of people suffering from MS who are gun owners.  The idea that they should forfeit their rights for a far better pain relief option over opioids is flat out wrong.

• Like 5

Another prime example of how state governments continue to blunder their way through legalization. Stuff like this is what will keep the black market propped up even after legalization. Until weed is treated the same as booze, people are going to continue using their current dealers to avoid being ID’ed or paying the tax.

If NY allows you to grow your own, this whole situation will be easy to get around. Just grow your own right at home and show ID to no one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Belo said:

What level of possession though? Big difference when intent to sell is thrown in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was about a quarter ounce. Pulled over for tail light, NYSI expired previous month and one thing led to another and he had a laundry list of tickets. Nothing big enough to arrest. He said when he was asked to exit vehicle officer took his wallet and that is probably how he knew to inform judge about the encounter. After he appeared and paid the fines, he got informed his permit was pulled. Good guy, too. Wasnt toking and driving. Just forgot to get his car inspected and didnt know he had a taillight out. Could happen to anyone of us. I would imagine if he wasnt in possesion of the reefer the judge would have never heard of the incident.

14 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Personally, I have a problem with denying 2A rights to anyone for having a doctor prescribe them some medical form of cannabis.  I know of people suffering from MS who are gun owners.  The idea that they should forfeit their rights for a far better pain relief option over opioids is flat out wrong.

Under the SAFE ACT,  if a doctor ever prescribes you anti-depressants they have to fill out a form and turn it in to the State Police so you will be red flagged if you ever try to buy a gun in NYS ever again for the rest of your life. If a vet comes home and goes to the VA to treat his PTSD, he has just effectively forfeited his 2A right in NYS for the rest of his life.

Stuff is draconian and sick.

16 hours ago, Belo said:

This doesn't effect me at all. I have no interest in being high on anything, and I do not have evidence, I only chimed in because of the subject of a Buffalo radio show I heard part of. I will say that the callers sounded very sincere and were TARGETED after receiving a prescription for weed. NO, they were not "caught" with it, they were targeted. I feel like I remember this happening a few years ago with a few people who were on anti-depressants.

IMHO this state will "try" to get away with whatever it can to grab guns from law abiding citizens, and that alone is enough reason to pay attention to things like this. I'm not a tin foil hat guy, but I do NOT believe politicians in this state will ignore a federal law that allows them to take your gun. If you do, that's fine, but to say it's not possible is not true. Cuomo wants the guns and if the Feds already have a law that allows him to take them he has to be grinning ear to ear.  Perhaps this is one of the reasons, in his mind, to make weed legal. 

IDK, I really don't care personally, like I said it does not and never will effect me. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CapDistPatriot said:

It was about a quarter ounce. Pulled over for tail light, NYSI expired previous month and one thing led to another and he had a laundry list of tickets. Nothing big enough to arrest. He said when he was asked to exit vehicle officer took his wallet and that is probably how he knew to inform judge about the encounter. After he appeared and paid the fines, he got informed his permit was pulled. Good guy, too. Wasnt toking and driving. Just forgot to get his car inspected and didnt know he had a taillight out. Could happen to anyone of us. I would imagine if he wasnt in possesion of the reefer the judge would have never heard of the incident.

sounds plausible and I don't expect it's impossible. First I've heard someone lose their permit though. The skeptic in me expects there's more to the story, but your point is fair. I'm assuming also he didn't lose his long guns.

1 minute ago, Belo said:

sounds plausible and I don't expect it's impossible. First I've heard someone lose their permit though. The skeptic in me expects there's more to the story, but your point is fair. I'm assuming also he didn't lose his long guns.

Again, only from what I heard on that broadcast... they lost their long guns as well.

Just now, FatBoyD said:

This doesn't effect me at all. I have no interest in being high on anything, and I do not have evidence, I only chimed in because of the subject of a Buffalo radio show I heard part of. I will say that the callers sounded very sincere and were TARGETED after receiving a prescription for weed. NO, they were not "caught" with it, they were targeted. I feel like I remember this happening a few years ago with a few people who were on anti-depressants.

IMHO this state will "try" to get away with whatever it can to grab guns from law abiding citizens, and that alone is enough reason to pay attention to things like this. I'm not a tin foil hat guy, but I do NOT believe politicians in this state will ignore a federal law that allows them to take your gun. If you do, that's fine, but to say it's not possible is not true. Cuomo wants the guns and if the Feds already have a law that allows him to take them he has to be grinning ear to ear.  Perhaps this is one of the reasons, in his mind, to make weed legal. 

IDK, I really don't care personally, like I said it does not and never will effect me. 

I don't smoke weed either. I could pass a piss test right now. The whole argument for me is that most of us hunters lean libertarian. What one man or woman decides to grow and put in their body should be nobodies business but theirs. There are a lot of gun owners in this state and I agree that they're targeting us, but there usually is more to the story than a prescription for zollof. 

I will add that erie county is notorious for shitty gun rights. I started my permit journey there. Took my safety class and everything and even then I knew I would most likely not get a cc. Thankfully I moved to wayne by the time I got around to purchasing my pistol and it went smooth from there. Of course after I got my 4 non-relative signatures who live in wayne, fingerprinted, photo taken, $100+ fee, a cop visited my house and a judge approved it. In Mississippi you go to the DMV lol.

gay-married-couples_a485ae2e-5da3-40d4-b

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

Its not uncommon  for folks to lose their permit privileges if convicted of DWI.  I imagine the same could be true for pot.  The person must then file an application to expunge their record before they will requalify for a permit. 

Most law enforcement have bigger things to worry about but if you have one that wants to break chops or sees it as an add on to abother charge, I could see a gun grab (especially if as Bob said, you lie on the background check which in and of itself is a basis for denial regardless of the underlying statement you lied about).  Right or wrong, the person would then have to hire one of those pesky overpaid lawyers to help them out.

Just now, moog5050 said:

Its not uncommon  for folks to lose their permit privileges if convicted of DWI.  I imagine the same could be true for pot.  The person must then file an application to expunge their record before they will requalify for a permit. 

Most law enforcement have bigger things to worry about but if you have one that wants to break chops or sees it as an add on to abother charge, I could see a gun grab (especially if as Bob said, you lie on the background check which in and of itself is a basis for denial regardless of the underlying statement you lied about).  Right or wrong, the person would then have to hire one of those pesky overpaid lawyers to help them out.

all good points. I think the basis for this discussion is the fact that weed would be legal at the state level, whereas DWI is a crime. I get your point though.

11 minutes ago, Belo said:

gay-married-couples_a485ae2e-5da3-40d4-b

That is awesome! LOL!  I agree on all points, and fully support the right of gay couples to own a gun and smoke weed if they so choose! None of my damn business.

As a side note, Erie county has made the CC process much easier. Micky Kearns has shortened the wait time to around 7 months! Of course you now have to make an appointment to SUBMIT your application and that wait time is now... you guessed it 7 months... You can't make this shit up. The people at the permit office are awesome though and will help you expedite the process if you call.

Edited by FatBoyD
  • Haha 1

I’m going to smoke some weed tonight, while I grill a young buck, shot by my crossbow , on my Weber propane grill and contemplate wether or not man ever walked on the moon .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2